Are you getting vaccinated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
But that’s a point I was trying to make earlier. As long as vaccinations have been around, side effects have always arisen within a few months. I can’t think of a single case of a vaccine having a long term effect thats reared it’s head years after it has been administered to an individual.
Yep. The worst ones I can think of were from Thalidomide back after the war in 50s which caused pretty severe birth defects, and Xanax more recently in the early naughties which caused pretty serious suicidal tendencies.

But they were both drugs rather than vaccines, and they are inherently different things.

Vaccines are a pretty short term action that provokes the body into a reaction, but it's a very natural reaction for the body, it's simply priming it of "which type" of antibodies to produce.

Totally different to a chemical being introduced long term into the body to alter a chemical balance.

Last edited:

DarTon

I've just had my second AZ shot, 7 weeks after the first. I was offered it on Weds and booked straight away for a shot on Thurs. There is some evidence from studies that the efficacy of the AZ vaccine is somewhat better with an 8-12 week interval but that has to be balanced up with the evidence that two shots is better than one.

As a male, aged 45-50, my actuarial probability of death over a 12 month period is around 0.27%. There is still some uncertainty over the infection fatality rate for COVID but it's probably around 0.25% for a male in my age cohort. Now I have mild asthma but evidence this condition creates higher risk has disippated over that last year. So my risk is primarily driven by my age and gender. Nonetheless, those alone still double my risk of death. Plus there is an even higher risk of long COVID that might cause serious complications.

If I compare that with the much lower risk that the vaccine causes death or serious side effects, then it's just a good risk-reward proposition to get vaccinated. It's simply a question of probability distributions.

Now with regard to my children, who are both still at primary school, I'm still undecided on whether they should be vaccinated if that was offered. The risk-reward is far less clear given how IFRs exponentially decay as age falls.

JUNI0R

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Most definetly getting vaccinated, I can't encourage people to get it enough. Had my first Pfizer on March 26th and have my 2nd one booked for June 14th!

rouchie

Rising Star
Just need to book my 2nd jab, which was actually booked at the first one but was then cancelled for no apparent reason, kept getting reminder texts to book and ignored them as I thought we were all sorted for next Friday, then finally read a reminder yesterday to discover they had been cancelled!! I had covid in October in a hard flu but able to cope variety and have had a number of minor complications since which seemed to change week in week out. First jab gave me a very dead arm and absolute exhaustion for a day which was ok, as we were warned it might be worse as we had already had covid. Can't wait to get jab 2 done and dusted and will sit and book that tomorrow.

rouchie

Rising Star
Just need to book my 2nd jab, which was actually booked at the first one but was then cancelled for no apparent reason, kept getting reminder texts to book and ignored them as I thought we were all sorted for next Friday, then finally read a reminder yesterday to discover they had been cancelled!! I had covid in October in a hard flu but able to cope variety and have had a number of minor complications since which seemed to change week in week out. First jab gave me a very dead arm and absolute exhaustion for a day which was ok, as we were warned it might be worse as we had already had covid. Can't wait to get jab 2 done and dusted and will sit and book that tomorrow.
oh mine was AZ btw

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Yep. The worst ones I can think of were from Thalidomide back after the war in 50s which caused pretty severe birth defects, and Xanax more recently in the early naughties which caused pretty serious suicidal tendencies.

But they were both drugs rather than vaccines, and they're are inherently different things.

Vaccines are a pretty short term action that provokes the body into a reaction, but it's a very natural reaction for the body, it's simply priming it of "which type" of antibodies to produce.

Totally different to a chemical being introduced long term into the body to alter a chemical balance.
Well said and cracking examples used. One gold star for you ⭐️

I’d also like to thank everyone involved so far, this thread has been measured and everybody has made their points and explained their reasoning extremely succinctly. This sort of subject is one that can often devolve to a point where it becomes nonsense and unsustainable.

Well played, forum members. You’re a credit to yourselves 🙂👍

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
My mum is 92 and she's had 2 AstraZenica without any problems and shes on all sorts of meds including warfrine

AleTax

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Well said and cracking examples used. One gold star for you ⭐️

I’d also like to thank everyone involved so far, this thread has been measured and everybody has made their points and explained their reasoning extremely succinctly. This sort of subject is one that can often devolve to a point where it becomes nonsense and unsustainable.

Well played, forum members. You’re a credit to yourselves 🙂👍
This has been my intention from the beginning when I created this thread. I wanted to know, hear opinions etc to discuss in reasonable ways :)

AleTax

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I wasn’t suggesting that you were that kind of thinker, sincere apologies if you thought that was the case. As someone who has to do annual vaccination training, I was merely citing my experience and the opinion of the medics who deliver the vaccination service 🙂👍
No worries, it's all good :)

loso64

Of course i am gettin vaccinated, it is the most responsible thing to do. My age group should be able to get it in july hopefully here in denmark

Bigfoot

Grand Master
I had my 2nd AZ vaccine on Friday and the only side effects are a sore arm. After the first dose I had mild flu like symptoms for a couple of days.

I am in my late fifties and overweight, so am at a higher risk. Also, previously I was taken into hospital by ambulance (999 call) due to severe breathing difficulties from a flu like bug (possibly swine flu). There is no way I want to experience that again. Both my parents are in their 80s and had their 2nd Pfizer jab in the first week of January with no ill effects.

No medication is without risks (even aspirin). The risk from COVID-19 is very real and present and the statistics are beginning to show the benefits of vaccination. @AgentCooper makes some good points about long term effects.

loso64

My parents got phizer, dad had sore arm and mom had what she said was the worst headache she ever experienced for 4 days. But now they are both well

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
I've had both my vaccines (Pfizer), my GP is pretty good at getting on my back for the annual flu jab and it was no different for this, so I had both of mine more or less as soon as I was able to. As a guy in my mid 30s with a quite frankly shocking medical history, I'm considered clinically vulnerable, but there's probably a case for me being clinically extremely vulnerable. My employer sent me home in mid-March last year (a few weeks before lockdown started) and told me that I'm shielding as far as they're concerned, and I've been home ever since.

The side effects I had were a sore arm for a couple of days, and about 2 hours after having both jabs, I felt extremely tired - the flu jab does the same to me sometimes, so I'd taken both days off work and just went for a sleep and was okay a few hours later.

I know I'm straying into anecodotal evidence here, but I know from speaking to friends and acquaintances online that the AZ vaccine is occasionally triggering women's periods earlier and heavier than usual. Obviously not an issue for me, but something that women should perhaps consider, especially as the ages of those getting the vaccines now are getting younger.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I've had Pfizer, the second dose back in April. My wife is getting AZ, she has her second dose tomorrow. Greece is doing pretty well, so far about a quarter of the population is fully vaccinated (both doses) and the rate of vaccinations continues to improve.

Without getting political there are two points that are important (for me) regarding this particular vaccine...

1. Risk. Everything in life carries risk but it seems that the risk of thrombosis from the AZ vaccine is about 4 per million. The risk of being killed in a road accident in the UK is about 1 in 20,000, so you're at far more risk of being killed on your way to the vaccination centre than you are from the vaccine.

2. Choices and consequences. Everyone is free to choose, your life is your responsibility and if you don't want the vaccine then you have every right to refuse it. Choices have consequences however and if you choose not to be vaccinated then it's perfectly reasonable that there are jobs you can't do, places you can't go, and activities in which you can't participate. Freedom is not free and you cannot have your cake and eat it as well. Choose wisely.

loso64

1. Risk. Everything in life carries risk but it seems that the risk of thrombosis from the AZ vaccine is about 4 per million. The risk of being killed in a road accident in the UK is about 1 in 20,000, so you're at far more risk of being killed on your way to the vaccination centre than you are from the vaccine.
fun fact: You are more likely to get killed by a cow than a shark :D and in US more people die due to cows than to sharks :D
and supposedly in uk the risk of getting killed by cow is estimated around 35 000 : 1 (?):D

loso64

also regarding the thrombosis risk from Astra vaccine, you are 50 times more likely to be struck by lighting than getting thrombosis according to this statistics (at least in us florida)

RichH

Gold Level Poster
Had my second back in April - wife had her 2nd last week. Both AZ

Some side effects but manageable and far better than the possible alternative

Vaccination isn't just about protecting the individual, it's about protecting the people you come into contact as well

I genuinely don't see any logical reason for anyone (who medically is able) to not want it

Anything to try and speed up this crazy world getting back to some semblance of normality

However - I do believe in free choice, but you do have to accept that those choices may also have consequences

Last edited:

loso64

also regarding the thrombosis risk from Astra vaccine, you are 50 times more likely to be struck by lighting than getting thrombosis according to this statistics (at least in us florida)
also based on this statistics, 1 : 3 748 067 gets killed by shark. Which is more likely then getting Thrombosis from Astra. Getting killed by cow is more likely then getting killed by shark.

Sooooo you are more likely to get killed by cow than getting Thrombosis from Astra xD xD xD

Nedd Ludd

I just cannot understand anyone who refuses to have the vaccination on grounds other than health. If I were to catch covid, it would be a death sentence. Due to chemo etc, I have a very poor immune system yet there are people around who would rather party and spread covid than realise how many people they are killing. Our new lifestyle for many years to come will be one of semi self isolation, no hoildays and extreme measures with regards to washing each time we go out shopping.

Edit: one comment removed by a mod

Last edited by a moderator:

Bigfoot

Grand Master
also based on this statistics, 1 : 3 748 067 gets killed by shark. Which is more likely then getting Thrombosis from Astra. Getting killed by cow is more likely then getting killed by shark.

Sooooo you are more likely to get killed by cow than getting Thrombosis from Astra xD xD xD
Statistics are much more than a mean value. I am not more likely to be killed by a shark than pretty much anything else, as I don’t swim in the sea (or in an aquarium). There is always a probability distribution. That is why in the UK younger adults are not being given the AZ vaccine, as for them the risk of thrombosis is high compared to the risk of death from COVID-19 when infection rates are low.

Status
Not open for further replies.