Are you getting vaccinated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
My eldest used to eat garden snails...
At my prep school we had a plot of little patches where we could grow fruit and veg, he used to use it to farm worms and eat them live. He was a character, but I had to end my friendship with him about 15 years ago because it was getting bad for my health ;)

Gary S

I had the Pfiezer one back in August. First dose I nearly fainted - lighted headed etc for about 15 minutes after it. Second dose I was OK. I am not sure I will get any boosters etc...it is all getting a bit silly at this stage. As more people get vaccinated, cases rise....so what is the point. I think it is something we have to live with forever, and as humans...we will adapt.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I had the Pfiezer one back in August. First dose I nearly fainted - lighted headed etc for about 15 minutes after it. Second dose I was OK. I am not sure I will get any boosters etc...it is all getting a bit silly at this stage. As more people get vaccinated, cases rise....so what is the point. I think it is something we have to live with forever, and as humans...we will adapt.
The cases are rising amongst the unvaccinated. Vaccination is not a guarantee of protection but the odds on becomming infected are way higher if you're not vaccinated.

Its like wearing a seat belt in a car, it's no guarantee of not dying but it massively reduces your odds. I remember a lot of resistance to mandatory seat belt wearing when that was first introduced. Some people just don't like being told what to do, no matter how sensible it is.

Gary S

The cases are rising amongst the unvaccinated. Vaccination is not a guarantee of protection but the odds on becoming infected are way higher if you're not vaccinated.

Its like wearing a seat belt in a car, it's no guarantee of not dying but it massively reduces your odds. I remember a lot of resistance to mandatory seat belt wearing when that was first introduced. Some people just don't like being told what to do, no matter how sensible it is.
I'm not sure that is true. Most of the people I know who had the illness were actually vaccinated. They also had symptoms similar to a cold...but more tired. Then we hear of people losing their lives with it. There is a lot of inconsistency. Even the people jabbing me were telling me they still don't know much on the vaccine and they still (internally at least) treat it as experimental...even though it is passed for use by the public.
Being jabbed or not has no impact on catching it, it seems. However, perhaps the recovery and outcome is better, compared to a non-jabbed person?

Here in Ireland, we are being told cases are rising among everyone, and we have had one of the highest vax rates in Europe. So, something seems off.
I will say, the talk of forced vaccinations in some countries is worrying. I do believe it infringes on ones rights, especially as the data suggests that vaccines doesn't impact the spread, just the effect of the infected person.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Vaccination is not a guarantee of protection
Exactly this. Some double vaccinated people are swanning around thinking that their two doses are a bulletproof vest. Which is really not the case.

What we know is that the delta variant seems to be able to dodge whatever vaccine you’ve been given, but with a course of at least two doses you are much less likely to end up needing hospital treatment.

As more people get vaccinated, cases rise....so what is the point. I think it is something we have to live with forever, and as humans...we will adapt.
We haven’t adapted to influenza and it’s been around a lot longer. That’s why there’s an annual flu vaccine for older people and the clinically vulnerable.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'm not sure that is true. Most of the people I know who had the illness were actually vaccinated. They also had symptoms similar to a cold...but more tired. Then we hear of people losing their lives with it. There is a lot of inconsistency. Even the people jabbing me were telling me they still don't know much on the vaccine and they still (internally at least) treat it as experimental...even though it is passed for use by the public.
Being jabbed or not has no impact on catching it, it seems. However, perhaps the recovery and outcome is better, compared to a non-jabbed person?

Here in Ireland, we are being told cases are rising among everyone, and we have had one of the highest vax rates in Europe. So, something seems off.
I will say, the talk of forced vaccinations in some countries is worrying. I do believe it infringes on ones rights, especially as the data suggests that vaccines doesn't impact the spread, just the effect of the infected person.
Look up th difference between a vaccine and an immunization. No vaccine provides protection. All they do is hopefully reduce transmission and reduce effects once you're infected.

You're getting confused with an immunization which prevents infection.

Cases are rising amongst everyone, that's unavoidable, but vaccines offer blanket protection across different strains which without you have no protection.

Plus there's a lot of studies into the damage caused long term to lungs and brain from infection without th vaccine.

You may well get away with being infected without the vaccine once, even twice, but unfortunately with the way this virus is going we'll see more deadly strain hitting.

Gary S

Look up th difference between a vaccine and an immunization. No vaccine provides protection. All they do is hopefully reduce transmission and reduce effects once you're infected.

You're getting confused with an immunization which prevents infection.

Cases are rising amongst everyone, that's unavoidable, but vaccines offer blanket protection across different strains which without you have no protection.

Plus there's a lot of studies into the damage caused long term to lungs and brain from infection without th vaccine.

You may well get away with being infected without the vaccine once, even twice, but unfortunately with the way this virus is going we'll see more deadly strain hitting.
I'm all for boosters if it increases prevention etc. Here in Ireland, we are getting all kinds of mixed news and reports....even from our health service.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'm all for boosters if it increases prevention etc. Here in Ireland, we are getting all kinds of mixed news and reports....even from our health service.
Unfortunately Ireland and Italy (and of course America and Melbourne) have a serious issue with major disinformation propaganda.

Trust the doctors, and the health workers, ignore everyone else if you like but trust the medical experts, read up on the reality that's in your local hospital, it's very real. And those people don't care about money, that's not what gets them to work through this hell, they really do care about peoples well being.

The boosters for now are all that we have. Remember this is a brand new disease, it takes time for scientists to work out the underlying comorbidities that dictate if a person is going to have a strong reaction, or just a cold. They are getting there bit by bit, but this disease is especially difficult as it just seems so random.

Take the jabs, keep yourself safe.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just additionally, the fact that you had a strong reaction to the first jab suggests that you'd be impacted hard by coronavirus. The reason the second jab didn't hit you so hard is that you have a built up defence.

Coronavirus would be 10 times worse.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

This is exactly how misinformation and fake news gets spread. The "most of the people I know who had the illness were actually vaccinated" observation is NOT a representative sample and proves absolutely nothing - beyond the obvious fact that most of the people you know don't wear a mask in crowded locations, don't wash their hands when returning home, and don't keep a sensible distance between themselves and strangers - all well-known, easy, and sensible precautions that everyone should be taking.

Here is some REAL information from the US Centers for Disease Control (CDC), they actually do know what their talking about. See https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#rates-by-vaccine-status. It's clear from there that unvaccinated people are over SIX TIMES more likely to test positive and over ELEVEN TIMES more likely to die from COVID-19.

Let's have no more of this 'vaccination doesn't work' nonsense - at least until you have some real data to back up that assertion. Please don't allow yourself and those around you to become vehicles for misinformation, that's why this virus is still killing people. Read these facts and myths from the CDC https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/facts.html.

I chose the CDC for data for two important reasons. One is that the population of the USA is over five times that of the UK, so the data from the USA is much more reliable as a measure of how the vaccine works simply because the sample size is so much larger. The second is that the CDC, like all federal agencies, is subject to much wider freedom of information rules than agencies in the UK (see https://www.cdc.gov/od/foia/), so it's just not possible to claim that the CDC is an agent of government misinformation.

As far as the safety of the vaccine is concerned, around 7.3 billion doses have been administered worldwide (that equates to around 3.6 billion fully vaccinated people) and yet the numbers of people suffering severe adverse reactions is miniscule, the number of deaths that have been attributed to any vaccine is 5 (for the J&J vaccine). See https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/safety/safety-of-vaccines.html.

BTW. The other reliable source for COVID information is the World Health Organisation (WHO) at https://covid19.who.int/.

steaky360

I'm of the opinion that Boris eased things to soon, I'm up in scotland at the moment and the signs on shop doors are very clear......NO MASK, NO ENTRY
Its been like that the whole way up here, unless you've got an exemption you're expected (and legally obligated) to wear a mask in many scenarios (public transport, inside public buildings such as shops, restaurants, etc.)

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Its been like that the whole way up here, unless you've got an exemption you're expected (and legally obligated) to wear a mask in many scenarios (public transport, inside public buildings such as shops, restaurants, etc.)

It's the way it should be as we are a long way from being rid of it, I think all the anti vaxers should be transported to an island out in mid atlantic all by themselves

Gary S

This is exactly how misinformation and fake news gets spread. The "most of the people I know who had the illness were actually vaccinated" observation is NOT a representative sample and proves absolutely nothing - beyond the obvious fact that most of the people you know don't wear a mask in crowded locations, don't wash their hands when returning home, and don't keep a sensible distance between themselves and strangers - all well-known, easy, and sensible precautions that everyone should be taking.

Here is some REAL information from the US Centers for Disease Control (CDC), they actually do know what their talking about. See https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#rates-by-vaccine-status. It's clear from there that unvaccinated people are over SIX TIMES more likely to test positive and over ELEVEN TIMES more likely to die from COVID-19.

Let's have no more of this 'vaccination doesn't work' nonsense - at least until you have some real data to back up that assertion. Please don't allow yourself and those around you to become vehicles for misinformation, that's why this virus is still killing people. Read these facts and myths from the CDC https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/facts.html.

I chose the CDC for data for two important reasons. One is that the population of the USA is over five times that of the UK, so the data from the USA is much more reliable as a measure of how the vaccine works simply because the sample size is so much larger. The second is that the CDC, like all federal agencies, is subject to much wider freedom of information rules than agencies in the UK (see https://www.cdc.gov/od/foia/), so it's just not possible to claim that the CDC is an agent of government misinformation.

As far as the safety of the vaccine is concerned, around 7.3 billion doses have been administered worldwide (that equates to around 3.6 billion fully vaccinated people) and yet the numbers of people suffering severe adverse reactions is miniscule, the number of deaths that have been attributed to any vaccine is 5 (for the J&J vaccine). See https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/safety/safety-of-vaccines.html.

BTW. The other reliable source for COVID information is the World Health Organisation (WHO) at https://covid19.who.int/.
OK, let me clear up some things.
The misinformation (as you put it) is being spread by the Irish health service in this case. I don't have an opinion on any of this, as there are simply too many conflicting reports (all from official agencies).
I never said the vaccination doesn't work. What I said was it does not prevent spread or contracting the virus. I do believe it helps though.

I also wouldn't hold US data in high regard. The health industry there and big pharma are an entire world onto themselves. I am not saying they are falsifying stuff, but on a global level, US data is to be taken with a pinch of salt...generally.
In Europe generally, each country is also coming up with its own guidelines and regulations etc.
As I say, I have no real opinion and I don't care much for the topic. It is not my place to say what people inject into their own body. I am vaccinated fully, but I also don't feel any safer to be honest.

As mentioned, the people I know who have contracted the virus, all were vaccinated. I don't know of anyone who has contracted it who is unvaccinated. My country has one of the highest uptakes globally, and yet our health service is saying cases are going out of control. So either the vaccine prevents spread, or it does not.
It looks like it does not, but I do think the outcomes for those vaccinated ought to be better vs unvaccinated.

Just my thoughts, and I am not trying to convince anyone to think any differently. I simply don't know enough and I cannot (yet) trust official data sources with certainty.

Gary S

It's the way it should be as we are a long way from being rid of it, I think all the anti vaxers should be transported to an island out in mid atlantic all by themselves
If people don't want to get jabbed, that's their choice. My mother, who is 57 year old and has COPD of the lungs, is afraid to get it. She has been reading all conflicting information from national sources and so on. It's not that she doesn't want it, she's afraid it could have an adverse reaction with her COPD. As it is a new vaccine...who knows?

Before you make comments like that, try to understand that not everyone should be seen as a fanatical anti-vaxxer out at protests.
My wife's grand aunt (in her 90's), contracted the illness twice while in a care home. She fought it off twice and is still un-vaxxed to this day.

But then there are those who I know who have been jabbed and became ill (albeit, mildly, with the illness).

Status
Not open for further replies.