Asus Bios update

Buzz

Master
Source Asus.com
New BIOS updates for P8Z68 2012.05.29

1.Improve Improve system stability.
2.Enhance compatibility with some USB devices.
3.Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

I found the best way to update the BIOS is to download the file first then update it using the AI Suite II update program. I would also save the BIOS Rom file in the Suite update part also. And finally I would advise if you dont know the BIOS much, to go into it prior to updating and take note of all the settings you have, as after update it will revert back to default settings.

Downloads
P8Z68-V PRO BIOS 3402
BIOS : P8Z68-V-PRO-ASUS-3402.zip
AI Suite : AISuite_II_V10203_Z68_XPVistaWin7.zip

P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 BIOS 3402
BIOS : P8Z68-V-PRO-GEN3-ASUS-3402.zip
AI Suite :AISuite_II_V10203_Z68_XPVistaWin7.zip

P8Z68-V/GEN3 BIOS 3402
BIOS : P8Z68-V-GEN3-ASUS-3402.zip
AI Suite : AISuite_II_V10203_Z68_XPVistaWin7.zip

If ya need any help feel free to drop me a line.

Last edited:
Reactions: PCS

Gorman

Author Level
I would like to reiterate on previous posts that a BIOS update is not a general performance update and should only be used to address a specific issue that the new BIOS was designed to fix. Updating the BIOS is often a risky business and can quite easily brick your machine if not done correctly.

Carry on...

Buzz

Master
Is this a newer version?

Yes mate. Out 29th May

I would like to reiterate on previous posts that a BIOS update is not a general performance update and should only be used to address a specific issue that the new BIOS was designed to fix. Updating the BIOS is often a risky business and can quite easily brick your machine if not done correctly.

Carry on...

I agree Gorman for other Bios but the newer Asus boards have failsafe BIOS features. I have updated my BIOS 3 times now since got computer. Not had an issue. Other boards and BIOS vendors I fully agree can be dangerous, and id not have posted if was for that but knowing the Asus boards I knew it was ok. Also this update seems to have fixed my mouse lag. :)

Gorman

Author Level
Yes mate. Out 29th May

I agree Gorman for other Bios but the newer Asus boards have failsafe BIOS features. I have updated my BIOS 3 times now since got computer. Not had an issue. Other boards and BIOS vendors I fully agree can be dangerous, and id not have posted if was for that but knowing the Asus boards I knew it was ok. Also this update seems to have fixed my mouse lag. :)

pass me a motherboard with a "failsafe" dual bios chip and i will hand you back a bricked motherboard through failed bios update in about 15 seconds, there is no fool proof or guaranteed method apart from removable chips and having a spare.

Sure its a lot safer than it used to be but in the interests of consumer awareness i have to point out theres still risk. I dont doubt your intentions or that you have managed it with no problems but if i didnt say something along these lines i wouldnt be doing my job :p

Buzz

Master
pass me a motherboard with a "failsafe" dual bios chip and i will hand you back a bricked motherboard through failed bios update in about 15 seconds, there is no fool proof or guaranteed method apart from removable chips and having a spare.

Sure its a lot safer than it used to be but in the interests of consumer awareness i have to point out theres still risk. I dont doubt your intentions or that you have managed it with no problems but if i didnt say something along these lines i wouldnt be doing my job :p

True, I respect, and appreciate that. The Motherboards I posted above do not have dual chips and do have fail-safes, along with user BIOS backup methods. I do agree the "warning" of upgrading a BIOS could brick a machine, but personally speaking from the above post and links, I really find that even for a beginner its pretty hard to brick them, and especially by downloading the BIOS first rather then updating via online. If it is the incorrect BIOS it wont even allow you to update it full stop

But again I do appreciate where you are coming from Gorman and do agree that users do need to be vigilant when updating the BIOS as a rule. This post was/is specifically for the ASUS boards mentioned in first post. :)

pagepack

Bronze Level Poster
I killed a motherboard after a bios install went wrong, it was about 8 years ago. I now do it very very rarely.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I've managed to get through 18 years of PC ownership without knowing what the BIOS is...am sure I can cope without updating it :D

Buzz

Master
Well if you have a sandy bridge CPU and ever wanna change to Ivy you will have to Update the BIOS on the ASUS boards mentioned above. Also it states on the ASUS site it does improve performance, along with USB stability.

@pagepack.. 8 years in terms of computers is a long time. Lots has happened with BIOS flashing since then.

While again, Ill not argue that people do need to be careful updating their BIOS and it is NOT needed unless changing the CPU but I prefer to update it. They dont bring them out for no reason.

In the past a lot of people would brick their machine from BIOS updates simply because it was so hard to find the correct BIOS version updates. So it would seem that you are installing the correct one, but in fact It could very easily have been the incorrect one.

Now a days certain companies are making the BIOS so that it is not effected by updates, and has an actual non changeable BIOS. The updates are separate so if you damage the update process all that will happen is your comp will revert back to the 1st installed BIOS the manufacturer burnt in.

Eitherway, Agree its not needed, Agree with certain BIOS vendors it can be dodgy, and do Agree if you have the impression of ifs its not broke dont fix it.

For me, Im actually more comfortable in the knowledge that it is updated rather then oh if I update it, it can be bad.
Each to own I guess.

baron75mk2

Banned
Thanks buzz , updated mine today , usually i don't update bios but if i want an ivy in the future it has to be done , didn't have any issues in doing it by downloading first form asus site then installing with asus suite.

( had to , asus suite would not connect to the server common issue)

I did at one point think i had "bricked" the system , but it was just because i forgot to unplug my External HDD before updating bios , it would just hang on re-boot , but i have had this issue on another asus board with external HDD plugged in when updating bios , unplugged it & all went smooth.

Just as a side note , i did have a small issue where either the speed of one of my case fans was not being reported properly or it was in fact not spinning as fast as it should be , but after bios update this was fixed (one way or the other)

Just had to go back in & recover my old bios settings afterwards.

So happy days :)

Last edited: