Asus M4A78LT-M (budget Mobo) vs Asus M4A87TD (Top Spec)

AlfNet

I would really like to understand in detail the differences between these two motherboards and their chipsets. One is much more expensive than the other and I need to know the differences in order to make the appropriate choice.

I don't need something that is future proof. The only thing I might consider buying in the near future is more RAM. In two or three years if I want to update I might aswell just get a new motherboard. But since I don't know what I'll be doing in two or three years, I don't really want to invest in something future proof.

First thing that comes to mind is that one of them is microATX, so that should make it fit the Stylish Piano which costs only £14, saving me an extra £20. Do I really need the cooler master for £35 or is it just for looks?

Plus I need a 450w Supply. Does it fit the £14 case? I'm getting a HD5770 (I think I finally decided on this one lol, after changing opinion to the higher HD6850 or GTX460, falling to the HD5670 and now staying for sure on the HD5770 or GTS250 for Cuda).

Also, what's the difference between the 500GB 8MB Cache 7200 hard drive and the Black 640GB 64MB 7200 hard drive? Will I really get noticeable differences? I don't want to waste £20 on something that I can live without. I want a fast enough computer. Is it worth spending those £20 on a hard drive when I could save them to spend on ram or a better processor? Keep in mind, the later is 6GB SATA and the microATX is 3GB Sata, so I figure it works as some sort of bottleneck.

Please, give me details on the differences between these motherboards and these hard drives. If you tell me the details I should be able to figure out what best fits my interests.

If I was to buy two computers differing only in these two mobos or differing only in hard drive, would I really notice major differences using them AT PRESENT?

Cheers, hope you can help me again.

Tom DWC

Right, the power supply will fit into any of the available cases as they all use ATX PSUs (meaning they're all the same size). There's no point choosing the faster SATA drive unless supported by the motherboard or it will be completely wasted. The performance gain will be largely due to the extra cache rather than the SATA speed anyway, though even then the difference is minimal. If you want the best bang for buck then the standard drive will be more than sufficient.

You only really need to choose an expensive motherboard if you plan on using the advanced features. If you don't know what I mean by that then the chances are you won't need one. You would indeed be better off putting the cash towards a better processor. You can then add RAM as and when needed.

Major differences? Nah.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
M4A78LT-M

1_big.jpg

2_big.jpg

M4A87TD

2_big.jpg

1_big.jpg

This list is not exhaustive, but:

1. One is ATX, the other micro-ATX.

2. 3PCI, 2 PCI-E vs 2 PCI, 1 PCI-E.

3. One requires a dedicated graphics card, the other has integrated graphics.

4. One has USB 3.0, the other doesn't.

AlfNet

Awesome, I think I'll survive with the cheaper motherboard and put the money somewhere else.

Thanks a lot again! :)

AlfNet

One final thing, the HD 5770. Does it fit the Case?

What about the XFX HD 5770 XXX? Dimensions are: "8.5 X 4.376 X 1.5".

Cheers!