Asus Maximus Hero Z690 Boards literally burning up

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Appears there may be a bad batch of this model of board. Worth watching Buildzoids video as he is just a god when it comes to PCB design.

Last edited:

Trashpanda

Just curious... where is the evidence this isn't just a badly designed or manufactured Asus product and solely down to Intel? Your 12900k theory is invalidated by the digital trends article mentioning it happened with a 12700k system and that is basically in line with AMD equivalents for power draw.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just curious... where is the evidence this isn't just a badly designed or manufactured Asus product and solely down to Intel? Your 12900k theory is invalidated by the digital trends article mentioning it happened with a 12700k system and that is basically in line with AMD equivalents for power draw.
I realise that after watching. But watch further, anything at the moment is early findings, no one knows the cause.

Nevertheless though, the amount of power circulating through these boards, I am not at all surprised they're having issues.

But the idea that the 12700k is inline with Ryzen is completely off base. The 12700k at stock will draw as much as the 5950x with PBO applied which is quite a few tiers above it. It shouldn't be drawing anywhere near that much as a mid tier CPU. To be equivalent to Ryzen it would be nearer the 5800x power draw.

1640647568305.png

Source: https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/reviews/intel-core-i7-12700k-review/3

Trashpanda

But the idea that the 12700k is inline with Ryzen is completely off base. The 12700k at stock will draw as much as the 5950x with PBO applied which is quite a few tiers above it. It shouldn't be drawing anywhere near that much as a mid tier CPU. To be equivalent to Ryzen it would be nearer the 5800x power draw.

Source: https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/reviews/intel-core-i7-12700k-review/3
I must be using my PC wrong when I am not running unrealistic benchmark applications instead of gaming on it. Yes it does draw more power if you're running cpu intense workloads and anyone considering an intel PC for specific CPU heavy tasks should be advised about this as it is a consideration but this 'wisdom' gets spewed all over threads of people asking for gaming PC's. Synthetic benchmarks are not always representative of 'normal' usage.

Here's a real world gaming test using Cyberpunk 2077 and that's really a wash with a 5900x. Not quite sure I'd be concerned about an extra 3 watts of power.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I must be using my PC wrong when I am not running unrealistic benchmark applications instead of gaming on it. Yes it does draw more power if you're running cpu intense workloads and anyone considering an intel PC for specific CPU heavy tasks should be advised about this as it is a consideration but this 'wisdom' gets spewed all over threads of people asking for gaming PC's. Synthetic benchmarks are not always representative of 'normal' usage.

Here's a real world gaming test using Cyberpunk 2077 and that's really a wash with a 5900x. Not quite sure I'd be concerned about an extra 3 watts of power.
No of course they're not, but it doesn't mean they're not reaching those wattages even if for fraction boost sessions. IT WILL HAPPEN, no matter if you're only gaming. Take any CPU heavy game like Battlefield or Warzone, they'll swallow as many cores as they can and still boost pretty high.

The idea of "well just because it can doesn't mean it will" is just protective nonsense to try and deny how utterly inefficient these processors are. I saw PCWorld putting out a video tonight about this same thing.

That's aside from being at a time when we should be doing what we can to reduce power consumption rather than increasing it if you have a moral standpoint.

The performance gain is not all that significant given the wattage use. You PBO overclock even a 5900x and you've got the 12900k matched while still using significantly less power.

There has to be a line somewhere.

I won't endorse Intel except for the minor use case such as competitive or excessive budgets. Outside of that, they're just tagline products, the numbers look good, but in actual performance and value, they're not any better.

Trashpanda

No of course they're not, but it doesn't mean they're not reaching those wattages even if for fraction boost sessions. IT WILL HAPPEN, no matter if you're only gaming. Take any CPU heavy game like Battlefield or Warzone, they'll swallow as many cores as they can and still boost pretty high.

The idea of "well just because it can doesn't mean it will" is just protective nonsense to try and deny how utterly inefficient these processors are. I saw PCWorld putting out a video tonight about this same thing.

That's aside from being at a time when we should be doing what we can to reduce power consumption rather than increasing it if you have a moral standpoint.

The performance gain is not all that significant given the wattage use. You PBO overclock even a 5900x and you've got the 12900k matched while still using significantly less power.

There has to be a line somewhere.

I won't endorse Intel except for the minor use case such as competitive or excessive budgets. Outside of that, they're just tagline products, the numbers look good, but in actual performance and value, they're not any better.
I trust given this concern about environmental impact people aren't being advised to get Nvidia gpu's which average >300w and have microspikes close to 500W then? Or at least they are being told that any gddr6x Nvidia cpu benefits massively from undervolting?

If you're going to hate on Intel for being inefficient why not mention Nvidia doing exactly the same but to a worse extent than 20-30w a 12700k 'might' use in a cpu heavy game. I say might because I can't test this theory on my ryzen 5000 PC and I always prefer to see actual evidence before making conclusions. I may not be running out to buy any Intel CPU's anytime soon but I welcome the competition which can only be a good thing (since AMD have abandoned the budget market entirely this generation).

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I trust given this concern about environmental impact people aren't being advised to get Nvidia gpu's which average >300w and have microspikes close to 500W then? Or at least they are being told that any gddr6x Nvidia cpu benefits massively from undervolting?

If you're going to hate on Intel for being inefficient why not mention Nvidia doing exactly the same but to a worse extent than 20-30w a 12700k 'might' use in a cpu heavy game. I say might because I can't test this theory on my ryzen 5000 PC and I always prefer to see actual evidence before making conclusions. I may not be running out to buy any Intel CPU's anytime soon but I welcome the competition which can only be a good thing (since AMD have abandoned the budget market entirely this generation).
It doesn't matter what make it is, efficiency is a hugely valuable attribute to any tech, in the professional sector it's the make and break of a product and that needs to filter down to the home user.

I'm hating on Intel for far more than inefficiency, add on a decade of market manipulation, complete stagnation, misleading (lying is better) investors and loyal customers, insider trading without recourse, not publicising zero day flaws for 6 months to artificially increase stocks.

I'm the kind of guy who will boycott films because it tries to hide a person's past or boycot a singer who beats up his girlfriend. I hold my friends and family to account in the same way and ask them to be honest with me if they weren't ok with my behaviour. I'm quite proud that I have a strong moral compass

Last edited:

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken

Wow. This is a fairly strong entrance to the forum! An all guns blazing approach is always fun and you do seem to know your stuff. But that can also be perceived as a bit heavy handed when it’s your first posts in a long established forum. Tell you what, it’d be good to meet you in a more informal setting. Why not throw a post in the new members section? It’d be nice to shake virtual hands 👍

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Added Buildzoids early view, he doesn't have one on hand yet but this is his professional opinion, and no one knows a board like buildzoid!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So since Buildzoids estimation of the issue, people are generally reaching an agreement that it's a certain batch or batches of boards that have that capacitor loaded the wrong way.

Hopefully Asus will be quick to identify the batch numbers and publicize them.

Anyone with this board, I'd recommend checking the orientation of that capacitor and if it is the wrong way round, then only have it powered on while you're with the PC and contact PCS to let them know, if they recommend RMA'ing with Asus, then do so, if not PCS will swap it out. I have no doubt Asus will issue replacement boards under warranty without any problems. They'll want to avoid any further bad press.

The capacitor in question is just under the Postcode display with a "150" mark on it, the boards affected the chip is the wrong way up

untitled-1.png

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

Just for some reality for those reading, 3000 series are more efficient than earlier counterparts. The high tier cards are obviously less efficient within that range, but that's always the case with top tier GPU's.

If it's using more power but doing more, that's not poor efficiency. The point with Intel 12th gen is they have to use substantially more power to achieve the same results as those literally using half the power. That's what inefficiency points to.

Last edited:
I sent in a tech support request to PCS about this, since I have a build in pre-production with this motherboard. I asked whether they were aware of the issue and pointed them to the support page ASUS put up with the details to check the serial number against (https://www.asus.com/support/rog-maximus-z690-hero-checking). This was the response:

"Thank you for your email.

I am sorry but we haven't had any reports regarding the manufacturing issue with this particular motherboard, we have shipped a number of orders and no issue has been reported as of yet.

If there are any issues with this motherboard, we will arrange a callback or send you an email to amend the order accordingly."

Does anyone else think it's incredibly irresponsible for them to seemingly take a "wait and see" approach here, rather than proactively checking their stock?

barlew

Godlike
I sent in a tech support request to PCS about this, since I have a build in pre-production with this motherboard. I asked whether they were aware of the issue and pointed them to the support page ASUS put up with the details to check the serial number against (https://www.asus.com/support/rog-maximus-z690-hero-checking). This was the response:

"Thank you for your email.

I am sorry but we haven't had any reports regarding the manufacturing issue with this particular motherboard, we have shipped a number of orders and no issue has been reported as of yet.

If there are any issues with this motherboard, we will arrange a callback or send you an email to amend the order accordingly."

Does anyone else think it's incredibly irresponsible for them to seemingly take a "wait and see" approach here, rather than proactively checking their stock?
Where in that email do PCS say they are taking that approach. All they have said is if there is a problem they will carry out a recall.

How do you know PCS haven't already checked, or are in the process of checking their stock with ASUS?

Where in that email do PCS say they are taking that approach. All they have said is if there is a problem they will carry out a recall.

How do you know PCS haven't already checked, or are in the process of checking their stock with ASUS?

To your first point, a recall is fine for any affected boards already delivered, but for orders not yet built it's not nearly as sensible as checking the stock they have now that they are aware of the issue. I would obviously rather they specifically check for this problem before sending it to me, rather than me potentially having to send it back because it happened to boot fine for them during their standard testing (I gather that this issue isn't an insta-kill for the motherboard).

To your second point, I'm assuming a bare minimum level of communication skill here; if they had checked or were checking their stock for this, it would have made sense to mention that to me as a point of reassurance, rather than just saying that they'll deal with it if it comes up in general terms. I do recognise that that is an assumption, though, so I'll follow up and ask whether they're specifically checking for it.

barlew

Godlike
To your first point, a recall is fine for any affected boards already delivered, but for orders not yet built it's not nearly as sensible as checking the stock they have now that they are aware of the issue. I would obviously rather they specifically check for this problem before sending it to me, rather than me potentially having to send it back because it happened to boot fine for them during their standard testing (I gather that this issue isn't an insta-kill for the motherboard).

To your second point, I'm assuming a bare minimum level of communication skill here; if they had checked or were checking their stock for this, it would have made sense to mention that to me as a point of reassurance, rather than just saying that they'll deal with it if it comes up in general terms. I do recognise that that is an assumption, though, so I'll follow up and ask whether they're specifically checking for it.
So to your first point you have no idea what PCS are doing to mitigate the problem, if there is a problem. You just need to trust the fact they are a professional system integrator and they will do the job you are paying them to do.

They have told you that they have had no problems with any of their boards and they will contact you and deal with it if there is.

I'll address your second point with an assumption of my own. There is not a problem with that motherboard there is a problem with a very specific production run of those boards. These are two very different things.

If PCS say yes there is a problem with those boards, they will most likely recieve loads of RMA's for boards which are not affected.

I do get why you are anxious about this but you just have to trust PCS to do the job you are paying them to do.

Last edited:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
When you send in an email you aren't speaking to the front line. You need to keep in mind the size of PCS and the departments throughout it. Customer service will always need to be diplomatic, confident and reassuring of the customers but they won't be all knowing with everything that's going on in the tech world (or the PCS world).

There will be a team with their finger on the pulse with this, don't be overly concerned :)