ASUS Nexus 7 OR Kindle Fire HD?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
hey all,

So the mrs wants a tablet for her bday/chrimbo present.

She aint getting nothing with an I in front of it. haha already veto'd that.

But I cant decide between the nexus 7 and the kindle fire HD. I dont want to get something massive, so thinking a 7inch ish one.

Any ideas? The nexus has better hardware with a nvidia quad core tegra or something along those lines, and the kindle only has a dual core. booo

I've heard bad things about the older kindles, something about it was on the telly as they are all failing.

But I've also heard that the nexus has adverts thanks to google and the kindle is directed in a way to use amazon apps, like the books, lovefilm or the mp3 store - which I use. (but you can get that on google play store neway so that's not a decider.) I really cant make my mind up

32gb versions are going for about 200 quid, which is fine cause then I can request something for the PC in return YAY!!!

anyway, anyone have any opinions?

thanks in advance.

Does anyone have one?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
The Kindle Fire is connected to the amazon app store which is almost the same as the play store

Kindle Fire runs on a heavily modified version of android whereas Nexus devices run the pure version and get regular updates as soon as a new version of android is released

Having an ASUS tablet myself, I can definitely recommend the Nexus 7 and the nexus is incredible value

Dont be fooled by the quad core though really, the dual core in the kindle fire will be more than enough for what she would be doing

Although the tegra 3 would let you play some awesome games such as dead trigger which have some pretty awesome graphics tbh (console equivalent at least)

Keithg

Enthusiast
I would also vote for the nexus. The kindle fire is an amazon storefront and somewhat limits what you can do/access.
Even including the price premium.

Narcotics

Rising Star
Asus Google Nexus 7 16GB for £159.95 with VIP £10 voucher @ RicherSounds in store only Link to sign up for a VIP voucher http://www.richersounds.com/viplogin

[video=youtube;KlC8pr5rY0o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlC8pr5rY0o[/video]

[video=youtube;ZCukXokKPWA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCukXokKPWA[/video]

Last edited:

PaulH

Bright Spark
I have the Nexus 7 - Really REALLY pleased with it - got it on release! - I use it far more than I thought I would.

I would say it does depend however if you want to read ebooks or not - I would probably go with kindle if i wanted that - however for pure sexual energy - you need the Nexus :D

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Chromebook! ;D Only £220 for the new one and it's practically a tablet with a keyboard and better browsing functionality and more apps.

Depends what she wants one for to be the honest though. Tablets are great for long journeys and stuff but if it's purely for using around the house for browsing the web and stuff I'd opt towards to Chromebook route.

Out of Nexus and Kindle I'd probably go for the Nexus due to having a bit more freedom.

Drunken Monkey

Author Level
Thanks tom for allowing me to thread steal <3

1) Can android tablets stream videos from websites like gorillavid, putlocker, sockshare ?

2) whats a good tablet if all shes going to do is watch tv/movies (or atleast thats what i think she wants it for)

3) Why was deadeyeduk put in charge of naming the android operating systems ? jellybean icecream sandwich ?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I have the Nexus 7 - Really REALLY pleased with it - got it on release! - I use it far more than I thought I would.

I would say it does depend however if you want to read ebooks or not - I would probably go with kindle if i wanted that - however for pure sexual energy - you need the Nexus :D

Thanks for the reply Paul, I dont think its going to be used for books, shes not really into novels and i cant immagine her using it for academic books, as you cant sell on the books afterwards. But for music (amazon mp3 player app on play store) youtube, she would also like to watch movies, so what would the best way to do that? I guess streaming services like lovefilm etc etc. But I dont think we are keen on paying for a service like that.

Chromebook! ;D Only £220 for the new one and it's practically a tablet with a keyboard and better browsing functionality and more apps.

hmm, thanks for that, although, thats pretty much like a low end laptop? we already have a optimus III which is mainly used for essays, internet browsing etc etc, and a netbook from a few years back. So i dont want something thats too similar to a another netbook. She did say she would like to do essays n that on it whilst at uni, but i don't think that's ideal, as they don't even have USB plugs? so you would have to email a essay/file to yourself do a bit, then send it back again, then update the original file, would be complicated and ALL my fault if work went missing or whatever.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
hmm, thanks for that, although, thats pretty much like a low end laptop? we already have a optimus III which is mainly used for essays, internet browsing etc etc, and a netbook from a few years back. So i dont want something thats too similar to a another netbook. She did say she would like to do essays n that on it whilst at uni, but i don't think that's ideal, as they don't even have USB plugs? so you would have to email a essay/file to yourself do a bit, then send it back again, then update the original file, would be complicated and ALL my fault if work went missing or whatever.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Chr...m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1D2NHKYBB6EPJDFG1JDX

They do actually have a USB 3.0, USB 2.0 and a full size HDMI slot on them along with an SD card slot. From what I've heard they're a lot better than netbooks, they boot up in 7 seconds from scratch and it's instant resume from sleep. Built in Security and rapid browsing. Only problem is you can't install software at all but to be honest the Chrome store has everything you'd need. I tried to see how easy doing documents would be on my laptop. Went onto Chrome store, searched docs, installed within 5 seconds, click the docs button on my chrome homepage, new document came up instantly with all the functionality you would need.

I think they'd be strange to get used to as it's all web related but I plan to get one once I've got my rig to have as a secondary pc for around the house.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
hmm thanks grimezy,

I would be concerned though, If I bought one, the optimus which was over 700 quid would be made redundant pretty much most of the time.

I would also be concerned if it can even handle the majority of tasks? I presume due to the low price the hardware would be very low end, as are all of the netbooks. I've had a ton of issues with the one I have now, from crap low power cpu, to not enough ram.

Also how it dissimilar from a normal netbook? Is it not just slightly different angle to sell a very similar product?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
hmm thanks grimezy,

I would be concerned though, If I bought one, the optimus which was over 700 quid would be made redundant pretty much most of the time.

I would also be concerned if it can even handle the majority of tasks? I presume due to the low price the hardware would be very low end, as are all of the netbooks. I've had a ton of issues with the one I have now, from crap low power cpu, to not enough ram.

Also how it dissimilar from a normal netbook? Is it not just slightly different angle to sell a very similar product?

It runs the ChromeOS, not windows, it is considerably lighter than windows and judging by android, it will have much better memory efficiency and also uses the samsung exynos 5 dual core, it also runs on an SSD

the choice is yours although your right, the laptop probably would be made redundant for the majority of things

tom_gr7

Life Serving
thanks for the hardware info wozza, ah, this is doing my head in. The chromebook does sound pretty good for general things I have to admit! But i really don't wanna make the new laptop part redundant.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
thanks for the hardware info wozza, ah, this is doing my head in. The chromebook does sound pretty good for general things I have to admit! But i really don't wanna make the new laptop part redundant.

To be honest it can never replace a Windows desktop/laptop but it's recommended more as a side product. The original Chromebooks were over 400 quid which didn't make them appealing for what they were. However, at £220 they're a lot more competitive. Like Wozza said, netbooks are trying to run an operating system that is too heavy for the hardware. ChromeOS is stripped completely down into a web browser almost that allows you to pin favourite apps and shortcuts to your desktop or start bar (similiar to windows 7).

The only problem with them is the limited storage. They come with a 16gb SSD but obviously you have the option to insert SD cards or USB drives/External hard drives. They rely heavily on the 'Cloud' and you get 100gb of free storage for 2 years if you buy a chromebook (you need to pay after the 2 years, if you choose not to you will still be able to access your data, just not save new data).

It depends entirely on what you think she will use the tab for. I persuaded my girlfriend to get a tab and as good as it is for youtube and stuff, the games aren't really used on it and the browsing experience is awkward. They seem too big to work on mobile sites but too fiddly to work on desktop sites. I personally am getting a chromebook as my gaming rig will be plugged into my tv so if I ever wanted to watch tv while doing a bit of browsing I want something handy that I can just pick up and use. One major disadvantage of the Chromebook is there's no DVD drive option and external dvd drives are not compatible so your laptop would still come in handy for that.

Basically, Chromebooks are tablets with keyboards and a touchpad. Their hardware is basically what you'd find in a tab which is why it has no fans and it runs so quickly. Where as a netbook is trying to take on a lot of processes with not a lot of hardware.

Load up chrome, go across to the apps page and have a browse through the web store and see what you think :) That's basically what you get from a chromebook but obviously with standard browsing on top of it.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I dont understand why they didnt just build a desktop -ish version on android, it would give you a lot more than just a web browser including some decent games and then they could merge this to improve the browsing speed on android, because internet browsing is very slow on most androids