ATI 5970 or any better GPU out there and will it fit in my PC case?

gtrivedi

Hi. I was wondering if I want to upgrade my Graphics card before Crysis 2 and other new titles come out next year. Currently I have this configuration:

#-----------Current Config---------------------------------------------
Motherboard: ASUS® P6T DELUXE V2
Case: COOLERMASTER HAF 922 MID TOWER BLACK GAMING PC CASE
CPU: Intel® Core™i7 Processor i7-920 (2.66GHz) 4.8GTs/8MB Cache
PSU: 1200W Quiet Quad Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan (£159)
GPU1: XFX RAdeon HD 4890 (Crossfire Mode)
GPU2: XFX RAdeon HD 4890 (Crossfire Mode)
#----------------------------------------------------------------------

I wanted to know if the ATI Radeon HD 5970 from Asus will fit in this case?
Also is there any better card than Radeon 5970 in terms of graphic fidality on screen?

Many thanks,
G

Gorman

Author Level
Hi, Yes the 5970 would fit.

I would recommend holding onto the 4890's at the moment though as a refresh is due soon.

The 5970 is the best single gaming card (dual gpu) there is at the moment. However it has been so for quite a while now and will soon be usurped.

gtrivedi

Yayyyy! :-D

Should I wait for the new GPU. I heard ATI annouced the 6000 Series GPU. I head it will much more powerful than 5970.
My only concern is will my mobo and pc case will be compatible with it.

My Crossfire HD 4890 gives me an average of 60 FPS on Crysis with Very High settings. And around 50 FPS on Crysis Warhead with Very High settings. All other games run so smooth like I dont even want to upgrade but I know Crysis 2 and IDTech 5 based games will require much much more horsepower from GPU.

gtrivedi

Also a bit of buying advise...

1) If I buy the card seperately from somewhere else and fir it in, will it break the 3 year warranty that I bought from PCSPECALISTs.co.uk?
2) When is a good time to buy a 5970 2 GB DDR5. At the moment the card is roughly around £460 on overclockers.co.uk. And it has been like that since December last year (2009) I've never seen a card hold that kind of price for so long.

gtrivedi

I heard the CEO of Crytek say that on a PC CryEngine 3 will perform better as it will use up all computing power available. I hope it doesnt look like a console game on my PC. A lot of people are expecting that the visuals will drop in crysis 2. Lets see!

Gorman

Author Level
I heard the CEO of Crytek say that on a PC CryEngine 3 will perform better as it will use up all computing power available. I hope it doesnt look like a console game on my PC. A lot of people are expecting that the visuals will drop in crysis 2. Lets see!

You will be able to tell straight away, if it has that "Press Start" screen which has no place in PC Games, its getting alt-tabbed, uninstalled and burned.

Sleinous

Author Level
For those using a controller, it does :D Although I agree its quite a reliable way of telling if its a port, but not 100%

Gorman

Author Level
For those using a controller, it does :D Although I agree its quite a reliable way of telling if its a port, but not 100%

First off, if you want to use a controller for it, buy the console version.

Second, the best way of telling if its a console port is looking to see if it is availiable on console. Ports only go one way nowadays.

Sleinous

Author Level
First off, if you want to use a controller for it, buy the console version.

Second, the best way of telling if its a console port is looking to see if it is availiable on console. Ports only go one way nowadays.

And if I dont have a console....? Yeah. I play TDU with a controller because I prefer it over WAD. But the graphics on the PC vrsion are better.