Audio card installation

NatPic

PC arrived yesterday, that's just one day after it went into building! Really impressed with the speed at the end of the process.

Can anyone help me with a side issue? Been so long since I put a PC together. The sound card I wanted wasn't in stock so I bought my own, not sure which power output to use. It takes a 6 pin plug and only available connections on the PSU (RM750X) are 6 pin SATA/peripheral and one 8 pin socket.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Do you have a particular need for a sound card? They aren't often recommended as they don't really offer anything nowadays.

NatPic

I thought someone would ask that.... yes, do a lot of audio/video editing, this one also has additional inputs. Now thinking I might have been better off with an external one.

Anyway, now I have it I'd like it to work. Any idea which power supply output I should use?

NatPic

Perhaps I should have waited before ordering, as may be a bit overkill. However in waiting for the PC to be built I've exceeded the returns policy window!

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I believe that's a standard 6pin PCIe power connector. You should have a selection of 6+2 PCIe cables in your welcome pack or PSU box.

I don't think it will add anything to your use case but as you have it anyway, why not. An external DAC would definitely have been my recommendation if it was needed. In-between options aren't worthwhile IMO.

NatPic

Thank you, that's what I thought. Now to find a small child to fit the connector past all the other wires!

Yes... you're probably right. Got a bit over excited with my accessories and peripherals...