Audio MIC Issues with 17.3" DEFIANCE V RTX Laptop

adamwright1989

Hi. I am having serious audio issues with the 17.3" DEFIANCE V RTX laptop (Clevo board using Realtek HD Audio).

Everything is fine until I connect an external speaker system to the audio out (headphone) jack. Once I do, the internal MIC stops picking up sound, like it is trying to use the audio out speakers for input as well. Unplugging the speakers then reverts to internal speakers, and the internal MIC starts picking up sound as normal. On the spec for the laptop it does say '1 x Headphone / Microphone jack, 1 x Microphone / S/PDIF optical jack', meaning the headphone jack couples up as a mic jack as well.

What I did notice is, when I connect some Beats headphones to the audio out (headphone) jack, I hear sound but it also uses them for the MIC input. I believe the Beats Headphones have their own MIC built in. I think the internal MIC input stops and reverts to the device connected to audio out as a MIC, even when it isn't. As my speaker system is not a MIC, this might be why my MIC picks up nothing?

I do not get a popup asking me what I have plugged into the jacks, unlike systems I had before. Could this solve the issue? I have no Realtek HD Audio Manager at all (no speaker icon in system tray, or in Control Panel).

I have reinstalled drivers, ensured they are updated, and all sorts. To be honest, I am getting a bit fed up with all this.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
On the spec for the laptop it does say '1 x Headphone / Microphone jack, 1 x Microphone / S/PDIF optical jack', meaning the headphone jack couples up as a mic jack as well.
I think that's the root of your issues. Although I don't know the Defiance at all, what you've noted there and the way the Beats headphones mic works does suggest that jack is a combined audio out/mic in jack.

Perhaps you might be able to find (or make) a splitter for that jack bringing the audio out and mic in to two separate jacks?

adamwright1989

I think that's the root of your issues. Although I don't know the Defiance at all, what you've noted there and the way the Beats headphones mic works does suggest that jack is a combined audio out/mic in jack.

Perhaps you might be able to find (or make) a splitter for that jack bringing the audio out and mic in to two separate jacks?

Thanks for your response @ubuysa. I fear you are right, although splitting audio is a bit beyond my technical level. It's very annoying because I expect a £2k laptop to just work without all the messing about. Best bit is, there is a mic port next to it so there's no need for a dual purpose jack here.

What's interesting is, it all works fine with Microsoft High Definition Audio drivers, which I have currently resorted to use instead of Realtek. Now, sound is output whilst the internal mic still captures. So this is more a Realtek driver issue I think? I've reinstalled Realtek several times, even an older version to see if that fixed it. No use, and still no Realtek audio manager app. Without this, there is no pop-up asking what I've plugged in, as that way I can tell the system if it's a speaker or a mic.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
What's interesting is, it all works fine with Microsoft High Definition Audio drivers, which I have currently resorted to use instead of Realtek. Now, sound is output whilst the internal mic still captures. So this is more a Realtek driver issue I think? I've reinstalled Realtek several times, even an older version to see if that fixed it. No use, and still no Realtek audio manager app. Without this, there is no pop-up asking what I've plugged in, as that way I can tell the system if it's a speaker or a mic.
TBH if it all works fine with the Microsoft drivers I'd be tempted to just use those.

You might want to call PCS and talk through the Realtek adio manager issue with them.

adamwright1989

TBH if it all works fine with the Microsoft drivers I'd be tempted to just use those.

You might want to call PCS and talk through the Realtek adio manager issue with them.

Yeah I think I just might as they seem to work totally fine. I have sent a technical support message to PCS and we are discussing the issue. Looks like Realtek have some quality work to do with their drivers, especially correct device detection and overriding for multi-purpose audio jacks. Without any Realtek manager software showing up with the official drivers anyway, it doesn't really matter if I use the Microsoft ones to be honest.

kroma

Hello.

Would you be able to talk me through how you solved this please? I'm having the same issue (but with trying to use earphones rather than external speakers).

Thank you.

Paulo05

Bronze Level Poster
Hey!

Please, tell us how you solved it, because we are having the same issue xD

Last edited:

adamwright1989

Hi there @kroma and @Paulo05. Sorry to hear you are having the same problem. What I did is I opened up the Device Manager within Windows 10. Simply search for that and it will show. Within that, go down to 'Sound, video and game controllers' and you will see the Realtek(R) Audio. Double-click on that and a pop-up window will appear based on that Realtek(R) Audio property. On the driver tab, uninstall the device. Once done, go back to this window and select update driver. Use the 'Browse my computer for driver software' option. Then, select the 'Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer' option. Make sure you install the High Definition Audio Device driver (which is Microsoft), not the Realtek High Definition Audio one. It will then install the basic Microsoft audio which does the trick nicely. I've never had any major issues since then. I am 99% sure on my instructions here, although I cannot remember if I had to uninstall before installing the basic driver; it is good practice to do so though. There might be some restarts required also. You'll be pleased to know, once sorted, Windows Update does not try to reinstall the Realtek drivers, as it maintains the Microsoft ones. I was unaware when I purchased this laptop that it was multi-port. They don't work well in this case, but this will fix it. Reply back and let us know how you get on. Regards, Adam.

Paulo05

Bronze Level Poster
it worked!

How did you find this solution?
- PCS support told me that there was no way I could use my in-build micro while using the headphones, you know more than them xD
When I buy headphones with a micro, will I have to do something again?

Paulo05

Bronze Level Poster
yeah, it doesn't work.
But the laptop «thinks» that it is producing sound, because I can see the bars going up and down in the «volume mixer».

I've done everything again and the problem remains. So, whenever I do NOT want to use the headphones, I'll have to put it back to normal.
Thank god I bought a laptop with an SSD, otherwise the restarts would make it too much of a hurdle.

Last edited:

Paulo05

Bronze Level Poster
Even the headphones are realtek (and they work). I followed all the steps. Try it yourself xD
The driver is: High Definition Audio
But the device is the same. I changed the driver, not the device.
https://ibb.co/zNMc6dy (Driver choice, in the same device).

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Even the headphones are realtek (and they work). I followed all the steps. Try it yourself xD
The driver is: High Definition Audio
But the device is the same. I changed the driver, not the device.
https://ibb.co/zNMc6dy (Driver choice, in the same device).
If it's still listing the realtek in the audio options then it hasn't been uninstalled.

You need to uninstall the realtek for it to work.

Paulo05

Bronze Level Poster
I unistalled
If it's still listing the realtek in the audio options then it hasn't been uninstalled.

You need to uninstall the realtek for it to work.
I'll show you all steps.
1st - I opened up the Device Manager within Windows 10. Simply search for that and it will show. Within that, go down to 'Sound, video and game controllers' and you will see the Realtek(R) Audio. Double-click on that and a pop-up window will appear based on that Realtek(R) Audio property. On the driver tab, uninstall the device. - Image Uploaded: https://ibb.co/cb3Cqdx
2nd - Restart computer.
3rd
update driver. Use the 'Browse my computer for driver software' option. Then, select the 'Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer' option. Make sure you install the High Definition Audio Device driver. - Image Uploaded: https://ibb.co/mtGmNXt
4th - Restart computer.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I unistalled

I'll show you all steps.
1st - I opened up the Device Manager within Windows 10. Simply search for that and it will show. Within that, go down to 'Sound, video and game controllers' and you will see the Realtek(R) Audio. Double-click on that and a pop-up window will appear based on that Realtek(R) Audio property. On the driver tab, uninstall the device. - Image Uploaded: https://ibb.co/zNMc6dy
2nd - Restart computer.
3rd
update driver. Use the 'Browse my computer for driver software' option. Then, select the 'Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer' option. Make sure you install the High Definition Audio Device driver. - Image Uploaded:
4th - Restart computer.
That's fine, but obviously realtek is still installed. Look in device manager.

The mistake you made was rebooting after uninstalling the realtek driver, that will just reinstall the realtek. So now you've got both drivers installed and conflicting.