Audio/music production big doubt

Francesco

Hello everyone,

I want to buy a new Pcs notebook for Music/Audio production and I need really powerful specs.
I feel like I need the i9 but unfortunately I can choose it only on the Octane Series, so what's the problem? The problem is that the Octane has a super-expansive video card that I really don't need, so to improve my i7 to a i9 I would spend a huge amount of money for something I don't need.

Any suggestion?

In case you need it: I will choose 32gb Corsair Ram, 2TB SSD Samsung, windows 10 and I will work with ProTools and FLStudio.

Thank you!

debiruman665

Enthusiast
This might be a one for the PCS customer service team. The i9 does have integrated graphics, but I dunno about if the chassis has a connector for the monitor to utilise it.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Imho the mobile i9 is not possible to cool effectively and in pretty much every laptop it’s in, it thermal throttles to the point where you don’t get any performance benefit over the mobile i7 anyway, in fact due to throttling it’s often worse.

The Octane has a desktop processor in it, so it’s a desktop replacement not a laptop, very powerful, but poor portability and battery life.

debiruman665

Enthusiast
Imho the mobile i9 is not possible to cool effectively and in pretty much every laptop it’s in, it thermal throttles to the point where you don’t get any performance benefit over the mobile i7 anyway, in fact due to throttling it’s often worse.

The Octane has a desktop processor in it, so it’s a desktop replacement not a laptop, very powerful, but poor portability and battery life.

Watch this space, I think I've cracked how to get this thing to run more efficiently on regular workloads that aren't 8+ threads.

The factory settings for the CPU are pushing the multithreaded workloads too hard (throttling) and aren't utilising the full CPU for lesser thread count workloads.

I need more time to get more rigorous testing done but from my early observations up to 6 threads can run at 5GHz before the thread count starts diminishing the speed.

I can't wait to finish work so I can get back onto this and work further on my newer findings.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
First establish whether the software you plan to use benefits from or can actually use, an i9.

debiruman665

Enthusiast

maybe useful

If you run a lot of VST, DSP, etc on a channel more CPU power is essential.

If you run a lot of channels with audio playback but not a lot of processing more threads might be beneficial.