Audio Playing through Speakers and Earphones

DarkPaladin

Enthusiast
I recently had an issue where all audio would play through both my laptop speakers and earphones when the earphones are fully inserted to the headphone jack. Strangely enough, the audio correctly stops playing through the speakers if the earphone's aren't fully inserted to the headphone jack (roughly 80% inserted to the headphone jack). I haven't made any updates or changes to my system, so I'm unsure if the issue is hardware related or not. I've seen solutions online that mention Realtek audio drivers, so I uninstalled + reinstalled them to no success.

Here are the specs:

Chassis & DisplayOctane Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080) + G-Sync
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor i7-8700k (3.7GHz) 12MB Cache
Memory (RAM)32GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 16GB)
Graphics CardNVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2080 - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st Storage Drive2TB SEAGATE 7mm SERIAL ATA III 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 128MB CACHE (5,400rpm)
1st M.2 SSD Drive250GB WD Black™ SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD (up to 3100MB/s R | 1600MB/s W)
Memory Card ReaderIntegrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
AC Adaptor1 x 330W AC Adaptor
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
BatteryOctane Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (82WH)
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound CardIntel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & WirelessGIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ WIRELESS-AC 1550 M.2 GAMING 802.11AC + BLUETOOTH 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options4 x USB 3.0 Ports + 2 x USB 3.1 Type C Ports
Keyboard LanguageOCTANE SERIES BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Operating SystemGenuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]

Bastet

Silver Level Poster
Check that there’s no dust or fluff within the headphone jack.
Use compressed air to remove it.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
a 3.5mm jack comes in 2 forms, 2 pin which is what that laptop can accommodate which is 1 for positive 1 for ground which is on most normal headphones and speakers, and then there's a second which is a more modern one which is 3 pin, which has in built mic on the 3rd pin. This laptop won't accommodate 3 pin jacks, and I'm wondering if that's what you're using? Do the headphones have a mic on them? Are they mobile phone headphones?

If they are normal 2 pins, when you insert it it should show a notification in the Realtek driver that the headphone has been inserted, is that coming up?

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
It is also possibly a faulty socket - when you plug a headphone jack in, it should push a spring that physicall disconnects the onboard speakers.

It may be that it isn't properly disconnecting.

As far as I recall, the third ring for microphones is at the back, so when plugged into a two-ring jack, simply does not make the microphone connection.

Attachments

• Jack-plug--socket-switch2.jpg
    Jack-plug--socket-switch2.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 112