Auo gamut matte screens

tonly

So i just spent the last 2 hours researching the auo gamut matte screens for the Optimus IV im going to get, and i cannot in the life of me make a decision whether its worth the extra £85 or not. A lot of people are saying its one of the best screens you can get at the moment for the laptops with sharp, vibrant saturated colors, but then they go on about having to calibrate it with different games and some might even close down midgame? As i will be playing a few games as well as using it for photoediting.
Anyone who has bought these screens, could you care to shed some light on your experience with these screens?

Thanks

Smurfette

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G

Seriously, the best laptop screen I've ever had, and that includes gaming, games development, graphics work... etc. I honestly do not have enough superlatives for the AUO screen.

Jak

Contrary to what Smurfette has said I'd say probably to drop the AUO panel and go for the standard matte option which should be the Chi-Mei panel which is a newer model to the best of my knowledge. I would say this because I've spent the last month nearly researching it and the AUO and many places have been reporting the new Chi-Mei has actually been beating the AUO in things like contrast etc.

It's up to you however, I think honestly that whichever you go for, you won't be disappointed in either. Hope my 2 cents helps~ :D

HonestFlames

Bronze Level Poster
I got my AUO equipped laptop yesterday and I have to say I am very impressed with it.

I compare it with a Dell monitor with IPS panel in quality. It might not have the mega contrast of the Dell panel, but it really is beautiful. The nicest thing is the viewing angles. Unlike many, many other laptop screens, you are actually able to see the image from various angles, instead of being met with an almost video negative as soon as you get past 45 degrees!

It's worth the extra money.

Also, big lack of reflections :)

Kreeeee

Has it been confirmed that the Optimus IV matte screen is a Chi Mei? Any ideas which specific model?

The information seems to be missing from the product information on the website, although the standard glossy and 72% gamut matte screens have the panel information.

Last edited:

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
At present the standard matte screen is the LG LGD0283 however this can change and therefore is not stated explicitly on our website.

Kreeeee

Fantastic, going to order tomorrow in that case. That looks like a stellar screen and it's a shame that there is a bit of a panel lottery going on in the laptop market currently (not aimed at you guys, this is across the board) as it's such a critical component!

Iverson03

Hi,

I was about to order my new laptop with auo gamut matte screen but after doing some research, I found out that some people had issues with it in games. Given that my new computer would be mainly for gaming, that would be quite a problem for me. Has anybody had any issue with this screen in games ? Is it worth the extra cost ?

Tonly, what did you finally choose ? Are you happy with it ?

Thanks

Yamikotai

Expert
I'm curious, what issues were presented with the AUO Matte screen when gaming? I can't think of any issues that might occur due to the screen.

HonestFlames

Bronze Level Poster
I have had no issues at all with my AUO matte screen. There is a tiny, tiny bit of ghosting, but this is typical of every LCD screen to one degree or another. It is absolutely beautiful to look at. Excellent contrast, colour and brightness.

Brightness uniformity across the screen is the best I've seen, short of a very expensive TV.

rickne

Master Poster
+1 for the AUO. I admit I am struggling with the resolution with my crappy eyesight but I can't fault the crispness and colour quality on this screen.