AW3821DW or LG27GP950

Hi Guys,

Just wondering what your guys opinions on me getting the AW3821DW or the LG27GP950 (when it's out) are? I'm so undecided on whether I want the extra picture clairty or the more immersive experience.

I'm waiting on my RTX3080 build. If i decide on getting the 4k then i could use the money saved to get a RTX3080Ti.

Any thoughts would be grateful.

Edit: I did just purchase a LG38GN850 but sent back due to many dead/stuck pixels

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi Guys,

Just wondering what your guys opinions on me getting the AW3821DW or the LG27GP950 (when it's out) are? I'm so undecided on whether I want the extra picture clairty or the more immersive experience.

I'm waiting on my RTX3080 build. If i decide on getting the 4k then i could use the money saved to get a RTX3080Ti.

Any thoughts would be grateful.

Edit: I did just purchase a LG38GN850 but sent back due to many dead/stuck pixels
I would get a superwide personally with the 3080.

I realise that's a significant step up in budget, but it's the mecca of gaming monitors.

Out of the two options, if it were me, the Alienware would be a better gaming experience, the immersion that an ultrawide or superwide offer at high refresh is so much more rewarding than the higher resolution of 4k. A friend of mine has the Alienware and absolutely loves it. It's a great panel as well as superb resolution.

And that's coming from someone who has a 4k monitor. It's very nice, but it's not as satisfying.

I would get a superwide personally with the 3080.

I realise that's a significant step up in budget, but it's the mecca of gaming monitors.

Out of the two options, if it were me, the Alienware would be a better gaming experience, the immersion that an ultrawide or superwide offer at high refresh is so much more rewarding than the higher resolution of 4k. A friend of mine has the Alienware and absolutely loves it. It's a great panel as well as superb resolution.

And that's coming from someone who has a 4k monitor. It's very nice, but it's not as satisfying.
I don't like the idea of the super ultra wide, game support and the issues i've heard with this monitor, I don't think it's worth it.

Thanks for your input and I am certainly leaning towards the Alienware, I have a 4k monitor 32' and I have always like the extra pixel density so it's a hard choice.

The LG34GN850 I recently had impressed me but the quality control has also made me reconsider going LG. I tried an Alienware a few months ago and their customer support was very impressive.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I don't like the idea of the super ultra wide, game support and the issues i've heard with this monitor, I don't think it's worth it.
What issues have you heard of? The initial release was recalled in July last year due to some issues with the panel in general. After it was rereleased in about September, there have been incredibly few issues reported. We have a number of users on the forum who have one and absolutely adore it.

But I do get the game support though. The worst that happens though is you get some black bars at the sides, simple tradeoff, and the impact superwides have had on the market, it won't be long before they're fully supported. Most new games support 8k which 5120 x 1440 easily fits within.

I get it though, it's not for everyone.

The Alienware is an extremely high quality panel. The LG is a barebones entry level budget panel even though it's IPS. If you want decent quality 4k 144Hz, you need to be looking more like the £1200 upwards mark.

I would strongly recommend factoring in decent HDR support, it really does make a HUGE difference, well worth it.

Just found a thread on overclockers where someone bought both the G9 and the Alienware you're looking at, may be worth a read:

Last edited:
What issues have you heard of? The initial release was recalled in July last year due to some issues with the panel in general. After it was rereleased in about September, there have been incredibly few issues reported. We have a number of users on the forum who have one and absolutely adore it.

But I do get the game support though. The worst that happens though is you get some black bars at the sides, simple tradeoff, and the impact superwides have had on the market, it won't be long before they're fully supported. Most new games support 8k which 5120 x 1440 easily fits within.

I get it though, it's not for everyone.

The Alienware is an extremely high quality panel. The LG is a barebones entry level budget panel even though it's IPS. If you want decent quality 4k 144Hz, you need to be looking more like the £1200 upwards mark.

I would strongly recommend factoring in decent HDR support, it really does make a HUGE difference, well worth it.

Just found a thread on overclockers where someone bought both the G9 and the Alienware you're looking at, may be worth a read:
The issues in fairness are when i looked a few months ago which I believe have been addressed in a firmware update, such as the flickering issues and not being able to play above 120Hz. I have also seen a lot of reports about quality control issues which include people's panel bezzels coming loose etc. But again I believe these have been adressed in a new updates model.

However, these issues were enough for me to not have complete confidence if I were to buy one and I'm also not sold on super ultrawide. I could have got one on sale for £800 (iirc) and passed on the opportunity.

Thanks for the advice you seemed to have swayed me (even more) towards the Alienware which I appreciate!

Edit: Also I can get the AW3821DW for £1,044 just for reference.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The issues in fairness are when i looked a few months ago which I believe have been addressed in a firmware update, such as the flickering issues and not being able to play above 120Hz. I have also seen a lot of reports about quality control issues which include people's panel bezzels coming loose etc. But again I believe these have been adressed in a new updates model.
Those quality issues were the issues pre recall, they were all sorted. The 120hz issue as you say was fixed in a firmware update in January.
However, these issues were enough for me to not have complete confidence if I were to buy one and I'm also not sold on super ultrawide. I could have got one on sale for £800 (iirc) and passed on the opportunity.
This is why it was recalled though. A recall is where they stop sales, literally redesign the product and then re release it when it’s working properly. Any one who bought pre recall serials just had them swapped out for a redesigned one.

But nevertheless, the Alienware is a very good monitor. A friend of mine actually has it and loves it and reviews have been consistently good.

And yeah, the price it’s at now is much more appealing, it was far too expensive when it launched.

Those quality issues were the issues pre recall, they were all sorted. The 120hz issue as you say was fixed in a firmware update in January.

This is why it was recalled though. A recall is where they stop sales, literally redesign the product and then re release it when it’s working properly. Any one who bought pre recall serials just had them swapped out for a redesigned one.

But nevertheless, the Alienware is a very good monitor. A friend of mine actually has it and loves it and reviews have been consistently good.

And yeah, the price it’s at now is much more appealing, it was far too expensive when it launched.
Yeah it's still £1,300 at most places, however I get a student discount which makes it a much more reasonable price.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Oh, even better then! It's a great monitor.

If you want any opinions on ultrawide, @AgentCooper is using same resolution although a lesser panel, and absolutely loves it, his is paired with a 3070.
A lesser panel? You’ve hurt it’s feelings.

BE00D23E-D864-4759-BF39-840D572E9221.jpeg

In all seriousness, going ultrawide is a game changer and in my eyes it is way more impressive than what 4K can currently offer. The level of immersion you get when gaming is phenomenal.

Would highly recommend a 1440p screen 34 inches or more, and when it’s eventually time for me to upgrade I’ll be going whatever newer iteration of the G9 is available 👍

Elhan

Bronze Level Poster
I was looking at the Acer X34GS myself (itself apparently a very good monitor) but I get work discounts for Dell which put the AW381DW very very close to it for direct purchase from Dell and I'm tempted to go for it since reviews for it seem to be near unanimously good - I know this thread was discussing it in the context of a 3080, but would a 3070 be advisable for it?