B450 motherboard and a future upgrade to 5600x

skewball

Silver Level Poster
Hi,
Does anyone know if I bought a PC now from PCS with a B450 motherboard and a 3100 processor, would it have the BIOS update necessary already for a future 5600x upgrade? I am spec'ing a PC for a friend so want to make it as easy as possible to upgrade in the future. They will happily do a hardware update but won't like having to update the BIOS.
cheers :)

Gavras

Master Poster
It’s also worth putting up the spec you are thinking about.

it may be that the resident experts review it and say an x570 is better option.

A lot depends on budget, use etc.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I don't believe the updated BIOS for the B450 boards has been released yet (except in the case of MSI)...found this on Techpowerup:

"ASUS will provide updated BIOS' for the X470 and B450 chipsets based on AMD's current release schedule of new AGESA code in January 2021"

That statement would confirm that the BIOS for the B450 boards won't be ready till January at the earliest, meaning a B450 based system bought now would require a BIOS update at that time.

However, PCS would be able to confirm this better than me as I am only going by what I have read on the internet. I would say that I wouldn't be getting a B450 based system anyway as it has been surpassed
This is correct, the new 5000 series AGESA won’t be released until end of jan by AMD for board partners to then write a BIOS

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Unless you are a company called ASRock....assuming this article is accurate (I don't know Tweaktown well enough to know how good it is):

Good spot.... apparently AMD are ahead of their January timeframe and they're updating older models first before X470 etc, good news!