Back to removable batteries!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
EU are looking to pass a mandate for all phone batteries to be user removable again in a huge win for right to repair!

Not only does this mean you can easily swap out the battery for a new official one when it invariably starts degrading before your 2 or 3 year upgrade cycle, but it also means that manufacturers have to allow for 3rd party batteries which opens up competition. People like Anker have been making some excellent extended battery options for years now, and it gives users far more choice.

The argument that this was done in the first place to decrease thickness was obviously misleading, laptops have become ever thinner and batteries are easily swapped out. There also far too much use of glue in smart devices, any adhesive at that level is either incredibly poor design, or done intentionally to make the user buy into the fact that only the manufacturer can reliably perform the fix.
This is such good news!

Last edited:

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
EU has passed a mandate for all phone batteries to be user removable again in a huge win for right to repair!

Not only does this mean you can easily swap out the battery for a new official one when it invariably starts degrading before your 2 or 3 year upgrade cycle, but it also means that manufacturers have to allow for 3rd party batteries which opens up competition. People like Anker have been making some excellent extended battery options for years now, and it gives users far more choice.

The argument that this was done in the first place to decrease thickness was obviously misleading, laptops have become ever thinner and batteries are easily swapped out. There also far too much use of glue in smart devices, any adhesive at that level is either incredibly poor design, or done intentionally to make the user buy into the fact that only the manufacturer can reliably perform the fix.
This is such good news!

and if the battery is wielded in, the phone is never really turned off, as until the battery is dead flat its getting a power source, funny that not so long ago batteries were easily removed.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Updated the original, it hasn't passed yet, but they voted 587 to 9 to put it to a vote to make it law, so it's all but gone through.

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
Updated the original, it hasn't passed yet, but they voted 587 to 9 to put it to a vote to make it law, so it's all but gone through.

whos the 9 people who thought "you know what, I like having this damn thing welded into my phone and having to replace it every two yrs, seems pretty great to me as I have mooooonnnnnneeeeeey" :rolleyes:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
The only limitation for me is being waterproof. I've had a waterproof phone since Samsung introduced it and it's an absolute game changer. I know they can still be made waterproof when removeable.... but I know this is a hurdle for IP rating etc.

I would genuinely take the welded phone that's waterproof over one that has a removable battery and isn't. My current phone is almost 3 years old now and the battery is starting to degrade. I would love to be able to swap it out as I have no issues at all with the phone other than this. I still get a day out of it, but I need to be mindful of how much use I want out of it and I now carry a booster when out all day. A fresh battery would give me years of use from this phone.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Maybe they can offer 2 models...the Pleb version made out of plastic with a removable battery...and the Pro version that's similar to now - that way the consumer can decide what is more important. Whilst they're at it, make the Pleb version also have the option to install alternative storefronts :unsure:

Or maybe make them identical with the exception of those 2 options above, but charge a premium to the price as it's 'more work'!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Maybe they can offer 2 models...the Pleb version made out of plastic with a removable battery...and the Pro version that's similar to now - that way the consumer can decide what is more important. Whilst they're at it, make the Pleb version also have the option to install alternative storefronts :unsure:

Or maybe make them identical with the exception of those 2 options above, but charge a premium to the price as it's 'more work'!
I also want removable storage back, criminal to remove that option

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Just more examples of tech vendors not making products that we need or want, but making products that generate the most revenue.

This is no surprise however, few (if any) businesses truly serve the customer. Most businesses exist to serve the shareholders and/or the directors.

And I'm speaking as someone who has run their own limited company. Whilst I did my best for my clients, the main objective was to make money for me.