Back up using Macrium Reflect.

mitchell65

Gold Level Poster
As the title says I use Macrium Reflect to create an image of my system on a weekly basis.
The screenshot attached is of my Disc Management. I know that I need to edit the order of the discs but for the moment Disc 0 is a small HD for the Macrium backups. That can be removed a placed in an enclosure to convert to an External HD.
Disc 1 is an old HD from a previous desktop with Win 7 that died. The HD was OK though so I have been able to retrieve all the files I wanted from that. It is due for formatting soon.
Drive 2 in my SSD main "C" drive.
I have been creating images of just the C drive. I have a separate HD for Data and this is synced with Sync Toy to an External HD backup.
All is well so far.
One point though: As I said i have been imaging just the C drive but with Reflect you can choose this:

reflect1.PNG

Choosing this Reflect selects the following marked with Red Dot:

Disc Mng.PNG

I have been selecting the partitions marked with a blue dot.
Question:
I think Reflect only selects the "F" partition because recognises that as a Windows boot up partition. (But that is for the old HD) I don't think I need that for my "C" drive backup but what say you?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I've been using Reflect for donkey's years and I've recommended it on here several times. Great tool.

My external backup drive is NFTS formatted and bootable (I keep the Macrium recovery disk image on there so all I do is plug in the external drive and boot it to do a recovery) and when I select the option you mention Macrium ticks that drive also. So I think you're right, it simply selects all bootable NTFS partitions.

I just back up the System Reserved partition and the Windows partition (I also have an active data partition on my SSD).

For anyone else reading this Macrium Reflect Free is available from http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

mitchell65

Gold Level Poster
Thanks for that. When I thought some more I realised that when I format that old HD with the other version of Win 7 on it then that "F" partition will be gone anyway!
I use a bootbale, even a bootable cd that in turn selects the ISO from my backup disc so same result but a different route. Your system seems quicker I think and of course you dont need the bootable CD. Might be the way to go for me. Will look into that, thank you.
BTW when you wondered if your SSD was on the way out I reckon it got sea sick:sailor: