Bad Battery Life On Laptop

harrynic

Hi everyone,
Just a quick question:

I recently bought a new laptop and have been unimpressed by the battery life. Here are the specs:

Optimus X, 15.6"
i7 Six Core Processor 9750H (2.6GHz, 4.5GHz Turbo)
8GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (1 x 8GB)
GTX 1660 Ti
250GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2

I understand that it's a decent gaming style laptop so the battery life is expected to be lower, but I'm getting 1-1.5 hours when just browsing the internet, and about half that when on Skyrim (I didn't buy it for gaming but I got excited and wanted to test it!!!). I was expecting around 3-4 hours, as similar spec laptops have this, if not more. The GPU isn't even being used when browsing, so I have no idea why it's so bad? I ran a battery test and got this:

Designed Capacity: 47160mWh
Full Charge Capacity: 44539mWh
6% Wear

This seems quite low to me, although I'm not sure.
Any help would be massively appreciated, as I only have 5 days left until I can no longer refund the laptop in case I decide to change it!!!!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I would contact PCS and explain. They’ll be able to wait hee swap out the battery and or give you advice on how to extend life.

harrynic

I've emailed them earlier this morning, and they've said I should only expect 90 mins of battery, which I don't understand as my laptop is nowhere near the top of the range! I know a bit about PCs but I'm not an expert, so maybe I'm missing something? Thanks for replying.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Check the power option settings. If you're not gaming choose power saving settings. See whether that helps?

Sent using Tapatalk

harrynic

Is there any software that you know of that tells you your max battery life in hours and minutes as opposed to mWh? If not, I’m going to put it in power saving, on 50% brightness, charge it fully and leave it until it dies to see what the max battery life is :)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I know of no software that can do that with any accuracy because there are way too many variables. Using the power setting to preserve battery capacity as much as possible and then seeing how long it lasts is a good idea.

Sent using Tapatalk

Doodles

While I have no experience with the Optimus, 1 1/2 hour definitely sounds low for a new battery, even with hardware like that installed.

Something that might help is turning off the keyboard lighting, which does use a fair bit of battery power.

Also, does the Optimus come with control software? If so, it might have a power saving/light use mode that could further help improving battery life. That is, if you don't plan on doing any heavy tasks on your laptop while on battery power.

harrynic

I ran the test I mentioned above, and got just over 2 and 3/4 hours. Considering it was literally left on the desktop screen and wasn’t running any programs, I’d say that’s pretty poor.

There isn’t any way to turn off the keyboard backlights as far as I can figure out? Fn + the keyboard lighting keys doesn’t do anything so I think they’re broken.

It didn’t come with any software although I’m installing control centre now. Seriously considering getting a refund, I have four days left until I can’t refund it.

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I ran the test I mentioned above, and got just over 2 and 3/4 hours. Considering it was literally left on the desktop screen and wasn’t running any programs, I’d say that’s pretty poor.

There isn’t any way to turn off the keyboard backlights as far as I can figure out? Fn + the keyboard lighting keys doesn’t do anything so I think they’re broken.

It didn’t come with any software although I’m installing control centre now. Seriously considering getting a refund, I have four days left until I can’t refund it.
If you're not completely happy then send it back. Nobody would want you to have to keep a laptop you weren't happy with.

Sent using Tapatalk

I have the recoil rtx and i get the same .Its only a 46kwh battery..pretty small as I'd seen other laptops in the range with larger or competitors with 96kwh batteries. But I guess there's some trade off as the recoil chassis is very slim. I was a little disappointed but for me its easy to transport and if it has to be plugged in so be it. Would be nice to have some sort of buffer if no mains power is available

harrynic

Yeah the performance on mine is brilliant and it looks great. But I’ve decided to refund it whilst I can, I can always buy it again if I want to.