Bad News for Optimus Pro 17.3" Ryzen

maha

Silver Level Poster
Hello,

I got a bad news for Optimus Pro 17.3" Ryzen purchasers with SATA SSD:
It is impossible to add a SSD SATA in it, the place for it is too little/short to get it fit in there.
If you ordered an Optimus Pro 17.3" Ryzen with combination of m.2 and SATA, you'll get an email asking for a new quote if you want to change the chassis or asking you to modify your order (remove SSD SATA).

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Apparently this is because the same chassis is used for both Intel and AMD. An Intel build supports a SATA drive whilst an AMD build does not. However, the configurator traps this at the Proceed stage with the following warning, so it's not possible to place an oder. If you order an Intel build however, and later amend it to AMD this issue isn't picked up automatically, hence the email.

ryzen ssd.jpg

PCS_Chris

Staff member
Hi there,

My name is Chris, and I am part of the technical team at PCS. To clarify things regarding this particular chassis. There are two models we use for the 17.3" Optimus Pro XI. One of these is for the Intel CPU and the other is for the AMD CPU.

The Intel CPU model has support for 2.5" drives whilst the AMD model does not due to differences in the internal layouts of the motherboards and batteries.

We do have a block placed on this specific configuration of the AMD CPU model paired with a 2.5" drive to prevent people from mistakenly ordering this configuration to begin with. I believe in your case you originally specified your order with an Intel CPU and later changed over to the AMD CPU version when it became available. I believe this is why you weren't warned prior to the email you received asking for it to be changed.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. However if you'd like me to go into further detail on anything please feel free to ask and I'll happily elaborate.

maha

Silver Level Poster
Not at all, I never click on i7 on 24/06 when I ordered
I tried again this morning when I received the email from Merveille K. and it was again accepted :oops:
now it is refused.

Last edited:

PCS_Chris

Staff member
Hi Maha,

Thank you for letting us know.

It's strange that it was accepted this morning for you. As a sanity check I tried this configuration earlier this week when the issue was first raised and it was blocked then. I'll pass along this information and double check that 2.5" drives are blocked with the AMD CPU's on this configurator in any configuration.

cjohob

Damn this is a letdown. Mine is due to arrive tomorrow. I ordered without a 2.5" drive but was planning to install a HDD from a previous laptop to use for documents etc. I'm assuming this will stop me from being able to do that, right?

I'm pretty certain that this was not flagged at the time I placed my order (12th June). I see that there is now a note on the detailed specifications page to say that the 2.5" bay is only usable with Intel processors. But I read the detailed specs before placing my order, because I specifically wanted to check whether I could reuse my old drive.

Last edited: