Balanced laptop spec?

Smillie

I purchased a new gaming rig (desktop) from here at the start of the year (which runs like a dream) but typically I have now been sent away from home for work, and that's not likely to change. I travel home at the weekends so I want to pick up a laptop rather than another desktop.

I would like a reasonably sound laptop for gaming and some light photoshop work. I don't need to be able to run games on ultra high settings or anything, just something that will run most things on Medium at a reasonable speed.

I've knocked out this spec as a good balance between cost and performance. I don't want to spend much more as my home rig is higher spec and can cope with anything this can't ( although I might have to fight my wife to get access to my home rig, which she's now claimed!)

Your thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Chassis & Display
Inferno Series: 11.6" Glossy HD LED Widescreen (1366x768)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5 Dual Core Mobile Processor i5-3210M (2.50GHz) 3MB
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 650M - 2.0GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - Hard Disk
250GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD2500BEKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® N135 802.11N (150Mbps) + BLUETOOTH
USB Options
2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Battery
Inferno Series 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (62.16WH)
Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 90W AC Adaptor
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Laptop Cooling Stands
Antec Notebook Cooler Designer for 15.6" Notebooks + 110mm Fan (£25)
Keyboard Language
INTEGRATED UK KEYBOARD
Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 1.3 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 7 to 9 working days
Quantity

Price: £674.00 including VAT and delivery.

Jak

Nice choice there, you should definitely be able to run most everything on good settings somewhere about medium~ On another hand, you'd be good to just up that drive to something a little larger just in case. You know better than anyone what all you'll be using it for but I can at least say that in experience, you tend to grow into a drive and within time, need something larger. :D

M3zxu

Silver Level Poster
I'd say upgrade the hard drive to a bit larger and take the silver warranty, other than that - I'm pleased to say it looks very balanced. On contrary to what JAK said, you should be able to run everything almost on Ultra on the internal screen - when you up the resolution with an external screen the GPU might have some trouble but should be good to run games on medium at 1080p (and some older ones high/ultra).

Smillie

Thanks for your input guys it's appreciated. I've increased my hard drive to 320 GB ( I tend not to keep that many games on the laptop at once so I don't really need a bigger drive) and opted for the silver warranty.

Many Thanks