Baldurs Gate 3 on Steam - Mods/addons advice and guidance

Aza

Rising Star
Does anyone know about this?

I have had BG3 (early access) for a year now, and it’s in a state that there’s days’ worth of continual gameplay...only thing is you can level cap yourself from the first area alone (lvl 4) and there’s a lot more content now.

Ive tried adding mods in before, but without any success.
Used a mod manager (Nexus mod manager) that I was told it would do all the work for me, tried adding in the files for increasing level cap and adding spells etc that would come with those extra levels, but when I tried to load I’d get an error saying it was unable to complete a storyline so wouldn’t start the game... whatever I had done it played with too much or was in the wrong order or was missing something to allow it.... I got very confused...

Has anyone done this themselves and able to give a bit of a guide, I dont want to go crazy just increase the level cap and add the spell content/character enhancements that come with the extra levels that gives.

ATM I hate playing it even with the new classes etc, because I hit level cap and it feels like a complete roadblock in game progression ( I think parts of Act 2 are now up as well... but the underdark has mobs already at lvl 5) I really dont like playing it when I know all that XP is going to waste, rather than being able to build up my characters.

Last edited:

Aza

Rising Star
If anyone can help with either mod managers and steam in general, or some actual hands on knowledge with BG3 itself it would be much appreciated.

Aza

Rising Star
I twas Nexus I tried before, and I think i made a mess with the order i added the mods or perhaps missed a mod that allowed the others to work properly?

I did try and have a read on it, and saw there were a few key mods that had to be installed... and thought i'd hit them all and perhaps it was a case of the order I added them?

Ill try rereading it and give it another stab.... just hoped I could be really lazy and strike gold, and be spoon fed a set of instructions!

(BTW I'm sure I saw something about a new Witcher game being developed somewhere.... I have I, II and III myself and it was Witcher that was the first "big HD title" I played when I first got my own laptop many years ago...)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I twas Nexus I tried before, and I think i made a mess with the order i added the mods or perhaps missed a mod that allowed the others to work properly?

I did try and have a read on it, and saw there were a few key mods that had to be installed... and thought i'd hit them all and perhaps it was a case of the order I added them?

Ill try rereading it and give it another stab.... just hoped I could be really lazy and strike gold, and be spoon fed a set of instructions!

(BTW I'm sure I saw something about a new Witcher game being developed somewhere.... I have I, II and III myself and it was Witcher that was the first "big HD title" I played when I first got my own laptop many years ago...)
Nexus have a really good forum if you need help with a specific mod, they'll talk you through it.

Aza

Rising Star
You know... I think I may have cracked it...

Theres a Patch 3 Mod Fixer Pak file, which I had been trying to install usiong Candor mod manager...

So, wiped the lot, installed BG3 Mod Manager, downloaded fresh copies of 2 mods, the Patch3 fixer and LvlUp, and reading the notes on the Patch3 fixer is says NOT to use a mod manager for it, just extract direct into the mod folder and then use a mod manager to add others... so hoping this might be where I went wrong before....

Playing with it right now will let you know how I get on, I know no one else spoke up but you never know, might help someone else browsing the forum...

Aza

Rising Star
So... After making sure i had Microsoft.net framework 4.7.2, I tried installing via BG3 mod manager... couldnt get it to recognise there were mod files, even when I manually downloaded the mod files and extracted directly into the mod folder in documents/larian/blahblah/mods

So did some more digging, and apparently with patch 7 (current game release version) they moved this to a new location in the %apps% stuff... luckily when I tried loading up the game it gave me a warning saying there was a data mismatch and gave me the location of the mod folder I needed, \AppData\Local\Larian Studios\Baldur's Gate 3\Mods

(I had stuck it in Steam\steamapps\common\Baldurs Gate 3\Data\Mods when I saw a notice about the Documents\Larian Studios\Baldur's Gate 3\Mods folder no longer being used and tried to load the game, at which point it gave me the warning and a link )

So, ive put the Patch3modfixer.pak file and the lvlup.pak file in \AppData\Local\Larian Studios\Baldur's Gate 3\Mods
When I load BG3 Mod manager now I can now see the lvlup file in the mods list, exported to game and launched it, no warnings so far, and its gone into character creation (which is further than I think it let me get when i used candor mod manager in a previous patch version).

So its looking like its working... I guess i'll see what happens when I hit lvl 4 and if it still caps it...
If its worked, i'll then try adding some other spell mods and stuff (theres dozens of them) but my aim is to just open up gameplay rather than mod the whole thing.

Fingers crossed! (its gonna take a few days to reach lvl 4 lol)

Last edited:

Aza

Rising Star
So after an hour or so of play, it all seems to be working.
I wont find out if its actually worked until I hit level 4... which is hours and hours of gameplay (an hour and i've only just got out of the starting area and started to dig around on the shore after the ship crashes, still not even hit lvl 2 yet...)

Its looking promising, Mod manager is telling me the mod is loaded, game loads, creates character and runs which it didnt let me do before.
So fingers crossed :)

(Edit - I got to lvl 4 and it capped the level :( so having to recheck my work... )

Last edited:

Aza

Rising Star
So, I've got it all up and working after a few teething problems.

I've only done a couple of very basic mods, theres loads (from cheats to additional appearances and everything else in-between).
My aim was to open up gameplay so ive only needed two mods, and the patch 3 fixer.

So, step by step..
Download BG3 Mod Manager (I got a copy from GitHub, just make sure you check the file (some sources arent as trustworthy/tested)
You'll need to have Microsoft Framework 4.7.2 which you can get from microsoft directly if you search their site, it was already on my machine so it will depends on your specific setup/uses/updates

I downloaded three mods, Patch 3 Fixer, Lvlup and 5e Spells, which you extract and stick the .pak file straight into the mod folder (patch 7 now has this in User\AppData\Local\Larian Studios\Baldur's Gate 3\Mods rather than using the documents folder as it did before).
The Patch 3 Fixer is a requirement for a lot of the mods, it wont work without it.
5e Spells was because theres some sort of glitch levelling spellcasters, it blocks lvl 4 to lvl 5 when only using the lvlup mod.

Open BG3 Mod Manager, it should show you LvlUp and 5e Spells, they will be in the "inactive" column, select and move to "Active" by pressing enter (I spent ages looking for a menu option to move it!).
The order they are listed in makes a big difference, lvlup should go first, then 5e Spells.
Click "Export to game" you should see a bar pop up on the bottom left saying its successfully added it to the log.

Close the manager and load the game... I got a warning saying it couldnt make a story, however it let me open a saved game and continue, not sure if a brand new save would still have that warning pop up but general advice on nexus mods is that adding mods to already existing saved games can have odd consequences/not always work.
If putting in more mods, be aware that the load order can be critical, having some mods load before others can mean they overwrite each other and not work.

Hope that helps anyone else who plays it and wants to do the same
(Although it looks like its just me on this site!)

Aza

Rising Star
This game is doing my head in.... 8 hours of play, restarted another 8 hours of play, and bugs in storyline mean i have to restart again.... early release should be illegal!!

Aza

Rising Star
I'm getting really tired of bugs in it if you dont follow an exact order... im lvl 5, cleared goblin camp, saved the zhent traders in the cave and went to zhent hideout to hand the chest in and get access to extra trade stuff.

I go up to speak to zarys and they automatically become hostile (didnt used to) not sure what ive done, I think it means going back to before clearing goblins as the zhent there turned hostile. 20K gold atm too :(

Means starting again, again, and trying another approach... i cleared goblins hours ago at lvl 3 so save has been overwirtten...but im sure it didnt do this before. Forums say theres a bug with zarys.... its just very fustrating.