Battery charge manager?

TheMash

Bronze Level Poster
This are my untouched values in registry:

View attachment 22039
Thanks a lot.
Now that you showed me your values I remember having it the same.
Apparently the value for the ProtectionStage1 bumped to 2 and the ProtectionStage2 key has been added with the same value of 2.
Something in the background it's definitely working!

TheMash

Bronze Level Poster
I'm using the laptop normally today and tomorrow, to perform a discharge, to see how it goes.
Now I'm recording the whole process thoroughly using HWInfo logging feature, with polling time of 1 second.
It would be useful to measure the real battery voltage as well using a meter, but I'm going to be busy in the next days.
I'll keep you updated.
Good night guys!

TheMash

Bronze Level Poster
Unfortunately there's an issue that's occuring. :(
After depleting the battery and reverting the setting to Full Capacity, in the Control Center, it didn't change the wear level and it stopped charging again at 47.120Wh.
I think Windows doesn't communicate very well with the BIOS or doesn't talk correctly to the battery, thinking it's the real wear level.
As always when testing these kind of features, if not supported, there are some risks involved.
Now I'm trying to revert the battery to its maximum capacity, I've in mind few ways to do that, starting from the simpler to the most complicate (which involves disconnecting the battery and reinstalling Windows).
The feature is working as intended but without a proper implementation its functionality can cause issues and limiting the battery duration.
Finger crossed!
Hopefully the outcome will be positive!

Last edited:

TheMash

Bronze Level Poster
Never thought this feature is so bad coded that just changing a line of code in the registry/config file could cause this.
I think something has been written onto the battery EEPROM therefore the wear value isn't changing.
I booted a Windows to Go copy of Windows, thinking it was just Windows battery statistics to be resetted, and I've found the same value there.
Now I totally discharged the battery and let it charge with laptop turned off without booting into Windows to see if it will reset by itself.
Before doing this I set up the ProtectionStage1 and ProtectionStage2 parameters to 0, with BatteryCalibration parameter set to 1, then stopping and restarting the GCBridge service (which is the background service that make the Gaming Center works and do the talks with the BIOS/UEFI).
Next option will be disconnecting and reconnecting the battery to see if something will reset and recognise it as new battery pack.

The battery should be fine and healthy, but somehow it has been set to charge till to a specific point and I'm not managing to reset it as default.

First time something like this happened to me, despite many years of tweaking.

wfree

What i can say is that i've enabled battery management section in the GamingCenter changing the key in the registry editor as i described in the previous post.
Then i've setted the mode to Healtly Mode for battery, restarted many times the pc but this never changed the battery charging status: so the battery result always connected to power adapter and full at 100%. So this settings never worked for me.

But after you described these problems, i'll revert all for security and hope in a future update by pcspec or tongfang.

TheMash

Bronze Level Poster
What i can say is that i've enabled battery management section in the GamingCenter changing the key in the registry editor as i described in the previous post.
Then i've setted the mode to Healtly Mode for battery, restarted many times the pc but this never changed the battery charging status: so the battery result always connected to power adapter and full at 100%. So this settings never worked for me.

But after you described these problems, i'll revert all for security and hope in a future update by pcspec or tongfang.
It is clearly not implemented correctly by the manufacturer to work correctly with Windows.
Please revert it to normal settings before any issues kicks in.
Hoped that it could have been useful for our laptop, sorry. :(

Last edited:

TheMash

Bronze Level Poster
Quick update about the battery issues.
Turned out the battery gone faulty and no matter what I've tried to revert it to its original specs, it didn't work.

So I've decided to contact PCS and explain in detail what happened, what I did and the issue itself

We exchanged few emails and did some troubleshooting together but at the end the final verdict was a faulty battery.
Surprisingly, PCS offered me to collect the faulty battery and get it replaced with a brand new one.

After DPD trying to deliver it to another address, I received it on 25th February, and installed it.

The battery manufacturer is different from the original, it was BMSPow if I'm not wrong, while the latest is Getac.

The replacement also lacks some kind thermal-noise insulation layer made of neoprene compared to the original battery.

So far I'm very happy about the outcome and I truly appreciated what PCS has done to fix the issue.

I wish the Battery Calibration option was totally removed from the software to avoid these kind of issues.

Very happy to have the battery fixed!

Note: shaping the battery cable like the original was a bit painful! But it's necessary to avoid any wear on external insulation caused by an eventual friction of the cable on the PCB or any component around it.

1615749857175.png

20210225_105739.jpg

20210225_115038.jpg

Last edited:

wfree

Turned out the battery gone faulty and no matter what I've tried to revert it to its original specs, it didn't work.

So I've decided to contact PCS and explain in detail what happened, what I did and the issue itself

We exchanged few emails and did some troubleshooting together but at the end the final verdict was a faulty battery.
Surprisingly, PCS offered me to collect the faulty battery and get it replaced with a brand new one.

After DPD trying to deliver it to another address, I received it on 25th February, and installed it.

The battery manufacturer is different from the original, it was BMSPow if I'm not wrong, while the latest is Getac.

The replacement also lacks some kind thermal-noise insulation layer made of neoprene compared to the original battery.

So far I'm very happy about the outcome and I truly appreciated what PCS has done to fix the issue.

I wish the Battery Calibration option was totally removed from the software to avoid these kind of issues.

Note: shaping the battery cable like the original was a bit painful! But it's necessary to avoid any wear on external insulation caused by an eventual friction of the cable on the PCB or any component around it.

View attachment 23625

View attachment 23627

View attachment 23626
Nice update!

Did you asked information about any charging limit feature?

GiuFam

Hi man, i have the same problem as you, basically a bug occured to my gaming center, showing those hidden option and i used them, noticing that charge was stuck like you at 70% even swtiching back to max capacity mode. E tried uninstalling gaming center, clean registry, reset everything but seems to be stuck like this and pcs assistastance seems to not send me a new battery compared as they did for you.

So, you confirm that a new battery solved the issue charging back to normal 100%? In that case in future i will buy new one from my pocket instead of sending laptop to pcs as they want (crazy, for a battery i have to send the laptop for 1 month at least according to them).

Let me know, thank you. For a stupid bug of the gaming center now i a lost 30% battery in a click... what a crazy situation