Battlefield 3 Beta PCS Platoon

gerb

I'm up for joining in with you guys, got my new headset coming by Monday next week but I'm usually pretty quiet anyway.

BF3 name: Gerbster1

Mattyp

Enthusiast
Nice, am I being stupid though? what are the 1, 5, 10 15 etc columns? is that distance or soemthing?

Yeah that's the distance (in feet I think). So if you change the graph to show 'bullets to kill' it'll line up with the distance to show you how many shots ar e needed to kill an enemy at that certain distance.

MeveM

Bright Spark
Yeah that's the distance (in feet I think). So if you change the graph to show 'bullets to kill' it'll line up with the distance to show you how many shots ar e needed to kill an enemy at that certain distance.

In feet? Surely not. Must be yards. 40 feet is like 12 yards, and that's the highest on that spreadsheet. I'm pretty sure I can almost spit 40 feet :p. Definitely yards or meters, depends whether the Swedish designers went with their own measuring system or the yardy one.

Last edited:

tom_gr7

Life Serving
that chart is stupid, lol in the real world at less than 300 meters it wouldn't make a difference what assault rifle you use it would take one shot to the chest.

Most rifles are 6 shots at 45 "feet" thats stupid, weapons do not lose any power up to 45 feet.

that whole chart is inaccurate and very unrealistic.

edit - even meters it wouldnt make a difference in number of shots up to from 1 meter to 45 meters and so on.....

MeveM

Bright Spark
that chart is stupid, lol in the real world at less than 300 meters it wouldn't make a difference what assault rifle you use it would take one shot to the chest.

Most rifles are 6 shots at 45 "feet" thats stupid, weapons do not lose any power up to 45 feet.

that whole chart is inaccurate and very unrealistic.

edit - even meters it wouldnt make a difference in number of shots up to from 1 meter to 45 meters and so on.....

If it was realistic not many would play it because it'd be pretty boring, you'd probably die from bleeding more often then instant shots. You'd spend hours taking from one base to another because you'd crawl, and take massive arcs to get around the enemy, the game also doesn't show how simple it is to shoot a rifle. The accuracy a rifle has is ridicules, even a noobie could pick up a rifle and hit a bulls eye no problem. A game need a healthy mixture of realism and fiction.

As for bullet damage, yes some weapons do more damage then others, a pistol can kill, but either from hitting a vital organ, or bleeding. Depending on the strength of the weapon it can make a massive exit wound, the entry wound is tiny, but the exit wound can look like a explosion so it's a lot to take into concideration when you rate a weapons damage, bleeding, organs, exit wounds, size of the slug etc etc. All weapons can 1 shot, depends on where and under what conditions. Also, remember that the army wear very heavy bullet proof vests, so some weapons will only do a small amount of blund damage, whilst others would possibly whack through it. You're more likely to get a kill from shooting a soldier in the leg/groin/hip area and hope for mass amounts of bleeding, or a headshot, body shots aren't likely to kill with one shot.

Last edited:

tom_gr7

Life Serving
If it was realistic not many would play it because it'd be pretty boring, you'd probably die from bleeding more often then instant shots. You'd spend hours taking from one base to another because you'd crawl, and take massive arcs to get around the enemy, the game also doesn't show how simple it is to shoot a rifle. The accuracy a rifle has is ridicules, even a noobie could pick up a rifle and hit a bulls eye no problem. A game need a healthy mixture of realism and fiction.

i get what ya mean, it doesnt wanna be too realistic.

But do you mean its simple in real life to shoot a rifle? Well yeah the process is simple, ie pull magazine in, cock it, pull trigger. But to shoot weapons effectively it is a little more detailed, the british army sets a whole load of marksmanship principles, such as, I know as I was in the army. :) I had this conversation with some goon on my uni course on my uni course, think he knew everything cause he had done a degree at leeds met, a right ....insert insulting word of your choice.... you know the type think they know how to do everything.....

Source

"Marksmanship Principles
3. To achieve a high standard of shooting we follow a process
known as the Marksmanship Principles. This ensures we always
hold, aim and fire the weapon correctly, and therefore should
always hit the target. They are a simple set of rules which you
will cover in detail on the course. Your instructor will also explain
how they are applied, however if you can learn them now you will
be able to relate to them during lessons. They are as follows:
a. The Position and hold must be firm enough to support the
weapon.
b. The weapon must point naturally at the target without any
undue physical effort.
c. Sight alignment and the sight picture must be correct.
d. The shot must be released and followed through without
undue disturbance to the position. "

MeveM

Bright Spark
I've done my time in the army as well :p. When I was 18 all Male Swedes were forced to go for 1-2 years of army training. You couldn't not go unless you had a physical or mental problem that would prevent it, you still had to get tested for what you'd suit being. If you didn't go, you'd be collected by the police and driven to the army base, or jailed.

So ye, I've done my due, and so have most 18+ year old Swedes (They don't act like it though, I'm a Swede and I can't stand my own nationality, not in the gaming community at least, bunch of know it all wa**ers.) , these days you can choose not to do it, but you couldn't when I was of that age.

With that said, I have to say firing a rifle was very easy. That said, spraying is pointless :p, anything but single shots, single taps, or tiny bursts are just a waste of ammo. I have to say the way the aim gets effected by spraying in BF3 is better then most other shoots, I find the recoil in BF3 to be far harsher then any other FPS. That said, running and gunning is impossible.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I've done my time in the army as well :p. When I was 18 all Male Swedes were forced to go for 1-2 years of army training. You couldn't not go unless you had a physical or mental problem that would prevent it, you still had to get tested for what you'd suit being. If you didn't go, you'd be collected by the police and driven to the army base, or jailed.

I believe the other Scandinavian countries have national service too, I know the Danish do. Off topic but in Sweden do you still find anti-social behaviour to the levels we do in the UK? I Think national service should be compulsary in this country, but kept separate from the british army, kinda boot campy if ya get me.

MeveM

Bright Spark
I believe the other Scandinavian countries have national service too, I know the Danish do. Off topic but in Sweden do you still find anti-social behaviour to the levels we do in the UK? I Think national service should be compulsary in this country, but kept separate from the british army, kinda boot campy if ya get me.

The Swedes my age and above there is very little anti-social behaviour, but I've found that a few years below me it's gone worse. Might be because its no longer compulsary to do army training. It gives people a lot of respect for others, it does nothing but GOOD to anyone.
Without being too offensive, most of the anti-social and crime stuff in Sweden is done by imigrants from Kosovo and Albania, we have a lot of imigration from that region. I'm not saying there's no good people from there at all, all I'm saying is it's brought in a lot of bad blood.

But without going too political, army training is something that all countries should force. It's not just training to shoot, it's about respect, time keeping, team work, all these things can be put to effect in any line of work, and it makes people get off their fat potato couch arses and get a job.

Sweden has definitely gotten worse off after removing the forced army training. Young lads need to learn how to control their aggression, and the army does that very, very well.

Last edited:

tom_gr7

Life Serving
The Swedes my age and above there is very little anti-social behaviour, but I've found that a few years below me it's gone worse. Might be because its no longer compulsary to do army training. It gives people a lot of respect for others, it does nothing but GOOD to anyone.
Without being too offensive, most of the anti-social and crime stuff in Sweden is done by imigrants from Kosovo and Albania, we have a lot of imigration from that region. I'm not saying there's no good people from there at all, all I'm saying is it's brought in a lot of bad blood.

But without going too political, army training is something that all countries should force. It's not just training to shoot, it's about respect, time keeping, team work, all these things can be put to effect in any line of work, and it makes people get off their fat potato couch arses and get a job.

Sweden has definitely gotten worse off after removing the forced army training. Young lads need to learn how to control their aggression, and the army does that very, very well.

I totally agree with ya, plus rep!

when did Sweden get rid of national service? Britain will never ever go back to national service, unless world war 3 pops up.

MeveM

Bright Spark
Oh it's a good few years ago, I moved here to UK about 5 years ago, and I did my service a few before that, I'd say around 8 years ago or so. So it's started to show now and there's more and more 18+ year olds whom skipped the army service, and they also grew up with the trouble making imigrants, so it's basically turned into a mixed nationality now. I've got nothing against imigrants, I am one myself after all, but you need to pull your own bloody weight when you move to someone elses country. You pick up their traditions, you live by their rules and you alter yourself, you don't try to alter the country or the people around you to your customs.

Last edited:

tom_gr7

Life Serving
but you need to pull your own bloody weight when you move to someone elses country.

Half of British people in this country don't pull there own weight, and live on the state alot more comfortably than those who graft their whole lives!