Battlefield 3, weird CD install O.o

F3AR

Hey Guys got my BF3 early XD (as always <3 u GAME)

and it says downloading not installing, stupid origin!

And yes, i am boasting :D

unledkl.png

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
its "downloading" from the cd, im guessing it might download it into the origin memory then install the game seperatley or something similar.

F3AR

OMG! Origin servers are amazing, from my normally 200KB connection im supposedly getting 500KB Down speeeds, this is mental!

Also, frenchy, i need a way to boast it's ok xD

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
shame you wont be able to play multiplayer till midnight though :p haha. Stuck playin single player, which tbh I wont play at all (I dont think). Will be playing it from tomorrow evening onwards.

F3AR

shame you wont be able to play multiplayer till midnight though :p haha. Stuck playin single player, which tbh I wont play at all (I dont think). Will be playing it from tomorrow evening onwards.

Actually my BF3 Schedule is something like Play the Campaign till the end, then start playing Multiplayer XD

Copious

Bronze Level Poster
My copy has just arrived in the post, gotta wait until I get home from work to install though.

JSG10

Expert
Installing mine as I type this ^^ "Downloading" at 8.4MB/s lmao Most definitelly installing of the CD.
I just hope I don't have the same problem I did during the Beta where you had to have your character name as your account name. That was really irritating, I actually got them to agree to change it in the end but never got round to giving them a valid name to replace it with lol

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Think I have DLed 50% thus far on Origin. More tonight so hopefully its done for tomorrow.

Slightly OT...why would not play the SP Frenchy? Firstly, BF campaigns are great, and secondly, why buy something and only use half of it? That's just silly!

Ashwind

It seems that EA have put in some kind of release day checker so I cant even play the single player untill tomorrow :(

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Makes sense tbh. If all games had this, it would also mean retailers could worry a bit less about early delivery and ship things 1 or 2 days earlier than they do now, to ensure more copies arrive for use on the release date :)

Wow...praised EA...must have lie down :D

Dayve

Think I have DLed 50% thus far on Origin. More tonight so hopefully its done for tomorrow.

Slightly OT...why would not play the SP Frenchy? Firstly, BF campaigns are great, and secondly, why buy something and only use half of it? That's just silly!

I've been having that argument over at the PCG forums. The single player mode of any BF game doesn't account for half the game, it doesn't even account for 1% of the game. It's a free bundled simulator to get you ready for multiplayer, and in the case of BF3, to show off the new engine's capabilities and shiny shiny red ball.

That's why it's so horribly scripted, short, and shallow as a puddle. Just use it to get used to the control scheme and overall layout of the game before jumping in to the real game - multiplayer.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I like BF SP campaigns...

The best way to make a BF campaign feel well scripted and deep is to play a CoD SP right before :D (Yeh, I went there! :D )

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
It makes sense, steam also do it, and to be quite honest nothing wrong with it either. You know when you purchase the game that you are buying a game which is being released on a particular date, having it early does not give you any more right than someone who buy it in a shop on release day.

One thing that was a bit annoying though is when I bought Deus Ex, i bought a retail copy, went to installe arly and couldnt because of release date issue. Fair enough. I coudl however use my cd key to download the copy, but obviously woudlnt be allowed to play. Fair enoguh again. If however I downloaded the copy it woudl also let me download patches etc. But i coudlnt do this with my retail copy until the game was released. I kow it only made me wait another 5 - 10 minutes but there should be a way to fully install and update the game even before release and then allow launch of the game once release date comes along.

Dayve

I like BF SP campaigns...

The best way to make a BF campaign feel well scripted and deep is to play a CoD SP right before :D (Yeh, I went there! :D )

I enjoyed the campaigns in CoD, when they were WW2 and not modern warfarey. It's the god awful multiplayer in those games I hated. 16 people per team, 14 of them sniping (on a map with close quarters fighting and not one single decent spot for sniping) and the other 2 per team using machine guns. Utter pants.

Has the BF single player ever had a campaign? I remember them being just skirmishes.

Kalisnoir

Super Star
I enjoyed the campaigns in CoD, when they were WW2 and not modern warfarey. It's the god awful multiplayer in those games I hated. 16 people per team, 14 of them sniping (on a map with close quarters fighting and not one single decent spot for sniping) and the other 2 per team using machine guns. Utter pants.

Has the BF single player ever had a campaign? I remember them being just skirmishes.

They are referring to the Bad Company series. All of the normal Battlefield games have only been skirmishes. I don't mind people not playing the BF series before Bad Company, but what annoys me is when people think BF2 is BFBad Company 2... No, if I meant Bad Company 2, I would of said Bad Company 2 :p

I'm just ranting because I have to wait till tomorrow for Amazon to give me my game :(

Dayve

They are referring to the Bad Company series. All of the normal Battlefield games have only been skirmishes. I don't mind people not playing the BF series before Bad Company, but what annoys me is when people think BF2 is BFBad Company 2... No, if I meant Bad Company 2, I would of said Bad Company 2 :p

I'm just ranting because I have to wait till tomorrow for Amazon to give me my game :(

Well, so do I. It's been dispatched at 12 today with the £1.99 first class delivery option, so hopefully it'll arrive tomorrow, but knowing my luck it won't.

I see what you mean about the Bad Company thing. It is a little confusing. I only ever played BF1942, then BF2, and soon BF3, or the true BF games as I like to think of them. Bad Company was clearly just an attempt to move in on the money printing machine that was totally arcadey FPS gaming, on which CoD pretty much had a monopoly for quite a few years, so you can't really consider the BC games a proper part of the BF series, just spinoffs to try to compete with CoD.