Battlefield 3 'You must be an administrator' install error

Status
Not open for further replies.

JakAttack

Resident Metalhead
Staff member
Hello guys and gals...

I have had a few calls over the last few days about Battlefield 3 not installing or downloading due to you not being an administrator, despite being logged in as an administrator.

To resolve this, please exit your Antivirus program (especially Bullguard) and reboot Origin, as they don't seem to be getting along, after your download and install are complete, reboot and you should be fine.

Fear

Prolific Poster
Just switch user account control off while installing it and you will be fine.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I think its just a ploy to punish people that bought retail and didnt DL from Origin :) It is EA after all :D

Gishank

Bright Spark
I use NOD32 (ESET Smart Security 5) and installed from retail, despite taking quite a while to install due to the size I had no issues.

NilSatis

Bright Spark
I use Microsoft security essentials; downloaded, er, i mean installed from retail dvds fine for me without turning uac/antivirus off. Did take a large amount of time to install though; second disc gets accessed at 75% of installation too, so only a quarter of it was on that dvd. :) It was all worth it though...oh yes.

NilSatis

Bright Spark
Haha! We would all like to throw Bill Gates somewhere....

MSE is the best anti virus software out there for free, thats for sure.
It never really interferes with what you are doing, is not too memory intensive, is updated with all of the latest virus and trojan information constantly; and best of all is free. Scans using it dont take too long; exceptions are easy to add; and altogether is a great anti virus package. I use this alongside Advanced System Care and am very happy; cheers. Have a slap back mate. ;) Bill Gates has even gone up slightly in my estimation after using this and Windows 7 which is excellent, but can never be fully redeemed after the disgrace that was Vista.
Having used most of the free ones out there and a few of the expensive ones, I have learnt that the free ones are often as good as the paid ones, and are far less intrusive while they work. MSE is the best out of the lot; cant fault it. It has found and eliminated a few things, and has picked up on anything I would expect of it. Why is it useless?!

NMEBowen

Master Poster
Personal experiance tells me MSE doesnt do its job properly i had issues with malware on my pc which MSE didnt pick up on it wasnt untill i started using avira (FREE) that i realised my pc was riddled. I admit avira has a single pop up everytime i update but it doesnt really bother me but its your choice and i hope MSE works well for you.

JakAttack

Resident Metalhead
Staff member
MSE is great, don't knock it, however, the issue is widespread and I thought I'd let people know, so there :p

jwonno

Every since I started using MSE I've not had any problems. Then again, the best protection is avoiding/controlling what accesses your computer and that's down to you.

Androcles

Rising Star
I use Microsoft security essentials; downloaded, er, i mean installed from retail dvds fine for me without turning uac/antivirus off. Did take a large amount of time to install though; second disc gets accessed at 75% of installation too, so only a quarter of it was on that dvd. :) It was all worth it though...oh yes.

There isn't a long enough barge pole. MSE has been nothing but trouble for me, from blocking some of the basic programs that windows runs all the way up to completely ignoring some of the most common viruses available, it's absolutely terrible.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
22851171.jpg

In all seriousness, why bump a year and a half year old thread about BF3 admin error, pick out a post about MSE and then whine about it?

Nope, just gunna have to go back to the image again :)

Rakk

The Awesome
In all seriousness, why bump a year and a half year old thread about BF3 admin error, pick out a post about MSE and then whine about it?
Indeed

Please refrain from necro'ing threads Androcles - closing this thread now.

Status
Not open for further replies.