Beep and Motherboard Light

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Hi guys,

Had my new PC for a few weeks and there are a couple of things I wanted to see if you could shed some light on.

Firstly, when I turn on the PC, after a couple of seconds there is a short sharp "beep". It sounds like it is coming from nearer the front of the tower, but that is rather difficult to tell to be honest. What could this be? Should it be doing it? etc etc.

Secondly, my motherboard, ASUS® ROG STRIX Z270E GAMING: LG1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GB, Wi-Fi - RGB Ready!, obviously has lights on it (as per the RGB bit no?), but these stay on after the PC is turned off. I did do a bit of Googling and there seems to be something that can be done to reduce power or something that will mean they don't stay on, but that was a bit over my head without further explanation.

Any thoughts on either?

Cheers

DED

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Firstly, when I turn on the PC, after a couple of seconds there is a short sharp "beep". It sounds like it is coming from nearer the front of the tower, but that is rather difficult to tell to be honest. What could this be? Should it be doing it? etc etc.
Unless you get any error messages that sounds like the POST beep. Which is normal and is there to tell you the PC is working okay, up to that point.

obviously has lights on it (as per the RGB bit no?), but these stay on after the PC is turned off.
Which lights? It will have small LEDs on it which aren't anything to do with the RGB lighting which won't turn off, unless you switch the power off at the back/wall. That's quite normal for mobos. But the power consumption implications of those are beyond negligible afaik.

If you mean the funky RBG LEDs are still on after you switch the PC off
ASUS-Z270E-Gaming_1-698x840.png
(those things)

then there should be an option to disable that afaik . Asus have Aura-sync software controlling their RGB LEDS so I'd try that first. You can read about Aura-sync here: https://www.asus.com/campaign/aura/us/Sync.html
And the software will be available via the mobo's download page: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z270E-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/ under the utilities section.
It seems to be the 2nd one down called "Aura", underneath AI Suite.

ribbit2

I concur that the beep is normal behaviour for a desktop PC - there is normally a small speaker on the front of the case which makes the noise.

Most PCs have what is known as a soft power button. That is, they motherboard has (some) power all the time, and pressing the button on the front of the case starts everything up. This I presume allows keyboard-based power buttons and things like wake-on-LAN (network activity) to start the machine up as well.

There will also be a hard power button on the rear of the machine (on the power supply), which will turn everything off - if that is not accessible, then you either need to turn it off at the wall socket or invest in an extension lead with a power switch on it and use that to turn it off.

Cheers R.