Benchmark Results Leaderboard

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Strange that my 5800X is stuck at 4300MHz in TimeSpy.

Would that be due to the way it’s been configured during building, or something else?

Is there something I need to install to enable this auto-boost, or is it some BIOS setting?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

Would that be due to the way it’s been configured during building, or something else?

Is there something I need to install to enable this auto-boost, or is it some BIOS setting?
Did you order overclocked?

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Did you order overclocked?
No. Just a standard build.

I mean, the extra MHz aren't going to matter much in the games I'm playing as they're probably all GPU-limited at 1440p, and I'm not doing anything with my Adobe stuff on this PC at the moment (still use the Mac for that).

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Could you try running it again with HW Monitor running too? Sometimes 3Dmark doesn't record the increased frequency for some reason. You can confirm with HWMonitor though. The output graphs at the end should also show the increased frequency. If it's not showing its locked for some reason.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Could you try running it again with HW Monitor running too? Sometimes 3Dmark doesn't record the increased frequency for some reason. You can confirm with HWMonitor though. The output graphs at the end should also show the increased frequency. If it's not showing its locked for some reason.
HWMonitor is just showing all core values of 4304MHz, min of 4154mhz and max of 4304mhz.

Does this mean it has been 'locked' somehow?

If so, how do I reset or unlock this, so that it drops to it's base clock and ramps to it's boost clock as appropriate?

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
HWMonitor is just showing all core values of 4304MHz, min of 4154mhz and max of 4304mhz.

If so, how do I reset or unlock this, so that it drops to it's base clock and ramps to it's boost clock as appropriate?

Yes, definitely. During the run, even during loading, you should see a max boost on at least one of the cores.... usually all of them, even if it doesn't happen during the run.

There are various settings in the BIOS that change the way the boost of AMD operates.

How old is the system? I believe there was a BIOS update to take care of some boosting issues. I'm not sure of the naming convention in the BIOS and, unfortunately, I don't have time right now to look into it.

Hopefully anyone picking this up will know what I'm on about to advise better. Will pop in when I can to see if it's sorted :)

Ash_

Master Poster

What cooler do you have?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

View attachment 22824
It's possible some auto boost has been set in the BIOS, that would apply an all core boost which would vastly lower the clocks.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Yes, definitely. During the run, even during loading, you should see a max boost on at least one of the cores.... usually all of them, even if it doesn't happen during the run.

There are various settings in the BIOS that change the way the boost of AMD operates.

How old is the system? I believe there was a BIOS update to take care of some boosting issues. I'm not sure of the naming convention in the BIOS and, unfortunately, I don't have time right now to look into it.

Hopefully anyone picking this up will know what I'm on about to advise better. Will pop in when I can to see if it's sorted :)
I got it just before Christmas 2020...so fairly new.

To be fair, I've not had any issues with it at all. None of the BSODs from the 3600MHz RAM, or anything like that - it's been solid.

It was partly in jet that I was moaning about not seeing the same performance in TimeSpy an almost identical system (bar the case and the OC GPU) - but it was the 'missing' 400MHz of boost clock that I noticed ;)

I've not touched the BIOS - but going in to it now shows version 2812...although just seen that the latest BIOS is 3405. Do PCS normally send out a notice telling owners to update, or should this only be done if you're experiencing issues once you get the OK from PCS? (which I'm guessing will may take weeks at the current helpdesk response times :ROFLMAO:).

Last edited:

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Right, I've just bitten the bullet and reset the BIOS settings to 'optimised'.

Initially it looks like the cores are boosting between 3200MHz and 5000MHz - so will run TimeSpy again now...

....scores look almost identical, but the CPU Frequency in TimeSpy reports highs of 4850MHz with 5 or 6 dips as low as 3800MHz (although closing HW monitor has reduced those 3800MHz dips just just a single one as it went from GPU Test 2 to CPU Test).

Is it worth running any of the auto-OC software (AMD Ryzen Master, Asus Intelligent Processor, or the AI Tweaker that I've seen in the BIOS)?

According to TimeSpy, by score is not far off the average 13207 (mine) vs 13336 (avg).

Last edited:

GeaFit

Bronze Level Poster
Yeah be careful with the performance settings and such and they mildly overclock all cores but you loose the boost. If any doubt you can reset all to default. Just be sure to put your ram back to 3200 or whatever it is now.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Right, I've just bitten the bullet and reset the BIOS settings to 'optimised'.

Initially it looks like the cores are boosting between 3200MHz and 5000MHz - so will run TimeSpy again now...

....scores look almost identical, but the CPU Frequency in TimeSpy reports highs of 4850MHz with a couple of dips as low as 3800MHz
That more normal boost behaviour.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Thanks all.

The only thing I've changed in the BIOS (other than original 'Reset to optimal' settings') is to change the memory speed back to it's correct 3600MHz - everything else is left as 'Auto' (whatever that means).

It's telling when a new owner can feel completely happy with their PC, only to feel they've left something on the table when they see other people's benchmarks with 'better' results.

It's like someone telling your their new car is faster than your new identical model ;)

I'd have been fine if I hadn't been tempted to see how mine compared to all these other 3DMark scores I see online...and only because the offer of the full 3DMark suite for £6 on Steam.

Last edited:

GeaFit

Bronze Level Poster
Little bit more tinkering. Rock solid performance not a hint of a crash. CPU performance is fantastic with the Fostflow 240 being a massive surprise package. CPU sustained boost to over 4.8GHz with temps sitting comfortably under 80c on max Cinebench load. Comparing this to some other online reviews far more expensive AIOs are struggling to do the same.

Really happy with the quality of the build from PCS once the initial delivery and DOA issues got sorted out.

Attachments

• Presentation1.gif
    Presentation1.gif
    48.4 KB · Views: 265

ColEyt

Gold Level Poster
Well given that my 5600x with 6700xt has arrived it would appear remiss of me if I didnt add to this discussion.

Full review and pics will appear in the appropriate thread in due course

Like TonyCarter my cpu appears to run at the same speed no matter what or should I say it runs at 4.18 to 4.21 whether its idling or being stressed. Not looked into why as yet, something I will do at some stage in the future maybe.

Anyways some benchmark results for those interested in how the 6700xt compares. I will however say no matter what scores appear so far I am happy with the experience I am getting ;)

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/60365357? TimeSpy 10,944

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/60366387? Firestrike 27,101

Unigine Supposition (1080 Extreme) Score 6725 Avg FPS 50.30

1617626143201.png

Unigine Heaven (1080 Extreme) Score 4599 Avg FPS 182.6

heaven full.jpg

BT81

Enthusiast
So. PCS kindly replaced the Palit 3070 GPU as I've had nothing but problems with it. For a Zotec 3070 (which is about half the size I may add, though I miss the RGB. But the GPU works.....anyhow)
Back to the benchmarks

Specs
3600x
3070 GPU
x570 motherboard
16GB of RAM 3200
970 Evo Pro 1tb
850 RMX power supply
H115i Cooler
NZXT H511 case
Replaced the x2 case fans with Notuca fans

Best results with the Palit
FireStrike 25,653
TimeSpy 12,025

Best result with the Zotec
FireStrike 25,381
TimeSpy 12,014

Thus. Basically the same. Just thought I'd share!
Now the Zotec has now been replaced by a GigaByte 3070 (3rd time lucky :) )

FireStrike 25,495
Timespy 12,181

So basically the same!