Best cable management tips?

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Right, I've just got back from shaving my eyeballs. The top layer of my cornea was so badly damaged looking at those pictures that it had to come off.

I am, of course, joking. It's oft-commented lore amongst the forum that I have a bit of a thing when it comes to the subject of cable management. It could be a passion, it could be an illness, we just don't know as I'm yet to be diagnosed. Either way, it's clear that I'm not like all the other boys 🤪

Sooooo, if I was approaching this job the first thing I'd be doing is to order a cable tray for the desk that attaches to the underside, like so...

cable.jpg

And possibly a new surge protected extension lead, yours looks a bit weathered. If you put the extension into the tray you can have all your cables living in there (nicely zip-tied, of course) and just have the one wire from the wall socket leading up. That'll keep the lower half looking neat.

From there, as @Bhuna50 rightly says, the main body of work will be getting the cables that are on the desk itself as out of sight as possible. Tucked behind the monitor, taped or tied to the edge of the back of the desk, it'll depend on your particular set-up and you may have to come up with creative solutions.

I've actually just found a pretty good guide online as well, have a read of it and visualise cable managing your desk space compared to that.

TomBerry

Bright Spark
I feel attacked :cry::ROFLMAO: will take it all in though, it needs to be done! I've ordered a surge protector with my build with 6 slots instead of 4 so should be good with that :) I'll get onto Amazon now...!

As you'll be able to tell from the photos below, I need some advice on cable management...
I know about a bracket for the surge protector which I'm going to get, but what do you guys recommend for all the loose cables? Do I drill them in somewhere to my desk with clips, or zip tie them etc? Not sure what to do. Any help is appreciated!

View attachment 25882

View attachment 25883

View attachment 25881

(I'm aware it needs a good dusting ;) )

TomBerry

Bright Spark
I feel trolled.

I logged on and saw that I'd been tagged in a load of posts. I was wondering if maybe my assistance was needed in speccing up a big money build. But no, turns out it's just the regulars making fun of my slightly obsessive nature.

We're both victims here.

View attachment 25892
You can come over and do my cable management if you'd like...social distanced of course...? ;)

It's tempting... but in the cable management church we like our disciples to learn the ways themselves so they can go and spread the word.

You one day will be able to teach others to go from this...

View attachment 25896

To this...

View attachment 25897
I feel pritty bad I was actually impressed till I realised nothings plugged in but it took me a while and for noddy to point the lamp out :( ! (Edit now ive realized she dosent have a keyboard )

Bhuna50

Author Level
I feel pritty bad I was actually impressed till I realised nothings plugged in but it took me a while and for noddy to point the lamp out :( ! (Edit now ive realized she dosent have a keyboard )

She does - its a table that has an undershelf that comes out slightly and she is resting her hands on that so the keyboard is there.

I looked twice at the back of the PC and thought technology has advanced so much that even that is wireless.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
She does - its a table that has an undershelf that comes out slightly and she is resting her hands on that so the keyboard is there.

I looked twice at the back of the PC and thought technology has advanced so much that even that is wireless.
You've heard of underfloor heating, well what about underfloor induction loop....................... :ROFLMAO: