Best Gaming Laptop Cooling Pads?

12kurtl

Hi everyone!

Was hoping you could suggest some cooling pads that might suit the new defiance 15. 6' laptop considering the position of the fans, required airflow, size etc. Looking for something that's lightweight, effective, portable and can fit in a laptop backpack comfortably?

Any suggestions would be super helpful!

Cheers

FerrariVie

Super Star
Might be worth taking a couple of pictures of where the fans are on the bottom and side outlets for people to see.

I used this for a 17" defiance I had and continue to use it for my current optimus:

Says its fits 12" to 17" and I carry it inside my laptop bag everywhere too.

Thanks for the recommendation, it looks really good and if they're telling the truth about noise, it should be really silent.

Bhuna50

Author Level
Thanks for the recommendation, it looks really good and if they're telling the truth about noise, it should be really silent.

Its over a year old now and does have a slight rattle if Im sat wrong :)

Have to say its been good for me and I dont notice the fan noise of it - over the laptop anyway LOL - plus I use a headset a lot.

MisterCrow

Would this cooling pad suit my Nova series laptop too (specs below)? Anyone got a 15"6 Nova series laptop and a cooling pad they would recommend, if not?
My laptop gets quite hot under load (85C+) so I'm concerned about its longevity at those temperatures. Battlefield 1 seems to make computers particularly hot...

FerrariVie

Super Star
Would this cooling pad suit my Nova series laptop too (specs below)? Anyone got a 15"6 Nova series laptop and a cooling pad they would recommend, if not?
My laptop gets quite hot under load (85C+) so I'm concerned about its longevity at those temperatures. Battlefield 1 seems to make computers particularly hot...
I can't see why it wouldn't? What's your concern there, size or weight?

MisterCrow

Placement of fans really. Have two fans on the underside that I assume are blowing air out of the chassis, whereas I guess the cooling pads blow air towards the chassis - don't want them fighting each other really. Looking at pictures, this doesn't look as though it'd be an issue though (as the laptop fans are towards the back edges on the underside). Just wondered if anyone else had a Nova series laptop and this pad, and if so what they think of it as a cooling solution :)

Bhuna50

Author Level
When your laptop is on, feel to see if the fans are blowing out - my laptop the 'exhausts' are to the sides / back and the underneath is drawing in air.

FerrariVie

Super Star
No laptops would blow air to the bottom, they actually pull air from there and push it out to the sides and/or back (sometimes top/keyboard).

I actually agree with you on one thing though: It would be ideal to get a cooling pad that has fans positioned as close as possible to your mesh opening on the back cover, but I think most will anyway. Once you get it, let me know how much of an improvement that was for the nova.... I'm currently using only a metal mesh stand (with no fans), so not sure how much better that would be.

MisterCrow

So got my cooling pad, and I wouldn't say the temperatures have been lowered drastically. However there has definitely been some improvement in overall temperatures - probably about 5-10C lower than without it, under load. The fans are pretty quiet and you don't notice them over the fans of the laptop. Nice having two USB ports at the back too.

@FerrariVie - If you're already got a raised mesh, you will probably not notice any difference in temperatures by having one with fans. At best you'd probably only notice a few degrees improvement.

FerrariVie

Super Star
So got my cooling pad, and I wouldn't say the temperatures have been lowered drastically. However there has definitely been some improvement in overall temperatures - probably about 5-10C lower than without it, under load. The fans are pretty quiet and you don't notice them over the fans of the laptop. Nice having two USB ports at the back too.

@FerrariVie - If you're already got a raised mesh, you will probably not notice any difference in temperatures by having one with fans. At best you'd probably only notice a few degrees improvement.
Thanks for the update! Well, 5-10° sounds good enough to me! :D I'm going to repaste my laptop on Wed looking to lower 2-3°, so that's not too bad. :D

MisterCrow

Thanks for the update! Well, 5-10° sounds good enough to me! :D I'm going to repaste my laptop on Wed looking to lower 2-3°, so that's not too bad. :D
Go for it! Although repasting will probably make a more significant difference to temperatures if your existing paste is getting old :)

FerrariVie

Super Star
Go for it! Although repasting will probably make a more significant difference to temperatures if your existing paste is getting old :)
Not really, the laptop is 6 months old now, but I believe that either the paste quality was not so great or they didn't do a great paste job. So repasting myself is the only way I'll know for sure.

MisterCrow

Not really, the laptop is 6 months old now, but I believe that either the paste quality was not so great or they didn't do a great paste job. So repasting myself is the only way I'll know for sure.
ahh, in that case you may not notice much difference then. I'm no expert, but I don't believe there'd be a significant difference in temperature reductions, based on the type of paste used. I'd be interested to know how you get on though :)

MrXT

Might be worth taking a couple of pictures of where the fans are on the bottom and side outlets for people to see.

I used this for a 17" defiance I had and continue to use it for my current optimus:

Says its fits 12" to 17" and I carry it inside my laptop bag everywhere too.

Iv had this one for about 2 years now and it still functions fine. Its also easy to open to clean the dust off the fans and i sometimes use a quick charge module i got off aliexpress to turn up the voltage to 9 or 12 volts which makes the fans spin much faster and blow a ton more air when im in longer gaming sessions.

solidus1983

Bronze Level Poster
I have a custom Laptop Stand myself had an awesome friend make it me, made from 5mm thick Stainless Steel for the X170KM with a hole where the laptops air intake is.

I have dropped 10c already on my temps when in High Performance mode on CPU without the use of more fans although i am planning on adding some, Just need to find a nice set of fans and a controller that will accept USB.

Still have to finish it off with a mesh magnetic and some rubber feet then polish the whole thing up to shine.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I have a custom Laptop Stand myself had an awesome friend make it me, made from 5mm thick Stainless Steel for the X170KM with a hole where the laptops air intake is.

I have dropped 10c already on my temps when in High Performance mode on CPU without the use of more fans although i am planning on adding some, Just need to find a nice set of fans and a controller that will accept USB.

Still have to finish it off with a mesh magnetic and some rubber feet then polish the whole thing up to shine.
That’s something I’d really like to make for myself also, nothing quite like some really high quality aluminium with a smooth bend. 👍🏼

solidus1983

Bronze Level Poster
True but I prefer stainless steel, the height is permanently set to 45 degrees. The hole has a recess ready to add mesh and fans to it.

But it needs some grinding to remove weld stains and the a good sand down upto 2000 grit to make it really shiny.

Laptop as it is doesn't move at all in its current format but the stand still does hence the rubber feet being required.

If it drops on your feet toy will know about it.

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

solidus1983

Bronze Level Poster
@SpyderTracks This is my Laptop cooler project thus far, still have a long way to go. Have to level the feet, clean the back of it up as well as the edges. Then i have to design how the fans are powered and how to mesh and mount the fans.

Unsure weather to go Fans powered from wall or from USB.

Took 8 hours of grind and buffing to where i am now lol as the Steel was like in Picture 2 before i started working on the top to make it like Picture 1.

Picture 1 is the top and Picture 2 is the bottom.

Attachments

• Picture 1 (Large).jpg
    Picture 1 (Large).jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 149
  • Picture 2 (Large).jpg
    Picture 2 (Large).jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 146