Best Internet Provider?

Serendipity

Enthusiast
I'm stuck, I live in a business premises and I've been using the business internet for everything, gaming, downloading, Skype etc. Sadly what I didn't realise is there is a 10GB per MONTH allowance. And of course if you go over the limit I get charged with £1.33 per GB, which... last month came to quite a bill.

I had enough though, decided to get a separate broadband account (hopefully unlimited) and realised every provider I went up to said I had to have a line rental for my phone which is about £15 a month ontop of any broadband packages. (Apart from Virgin, they were my first option then they told me they couldn't give me any service whatsoever because of my location.... god I hate the countryside sometimes)

For a decent broadband package we are talking about at least £35/£40 a month. I was looking at something a bit cheaper. Plus, if I can I would skip the line rental anyway. There is no use of me using it.

Either that or I go to my boss and upgrade the broadband package we already have and I pay him the difference, saves paying for a separate account, installation etc.

Any recommendations? They all seem the same to be :S

DanteWilhelm

Bright Spark
allow me to be helpful

http://wiki.vuze.com/w/Bad_ISPs#United_Kingdom

bro, I live in the countryside, you either have to spend lots or have nothing, you can NOT do this cheap!

i pay £22.75 a month for 40gb with BT on a 10mb deal (i only have 8mb line though)

unlimited plus line rental, yeh you're looking at in excess of £40 a month.

just don't go with AOL and then you've already saved yourself a lot of hassle, they kept changing the billing on us the ****

Rasta

im on virgin and on up to 50 meg but after downloading about 25-35 gb in a day i did a speedtest and now im constantly on about 20-30 meg i have not rang up as of yet. but if this problem continues i will.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
20-30 meg and your complaining? wow i would kill for that speed i get about 12mbps on speedtest at the most, and that is when i look at it at two in the morning or other non peek times

although today its peaking at 19mbps yay :)

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
is that megabytes or megabits? if thats bytes thats pretty good, 19 equated to around 2.5megabytes

vasu34

hi I test the speed of my internet in many sites I got the best and accurate speed results from this site scanmyspeed.com
my results are
download=1.04kbps
upload=0.77kbps
here they provide accurate and standard results.

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
hi I test the speed of my internet in many sites I got the best and accurate speed results from this site scanmyspeed.com
my results are
download=1.04kbps
upload=0.77kbps
here they provide accurate and standard results.

There are various testers out there, that one seems pretty good. You said your download is 1.04kbps. I am 99.9% sure that that is wrong, that is slower than the slowest of dial up connections. 1.04mbps would make more sense although that is slow. I doubt anyone else will beat my score, I think it is quite impressive! I can promise you that currently I am the only one using the web in my house as everyone is out, also, that was the only page and program open when I did the test. So, here is my score:

Internet speed.jpg

Xoil

Im with virgin media on their 50meg package and im currently getting 35-40MB download speed, never had any problems with them.

Tez77

Enthusiast
I pay 25 pound a month bt option 3 unlimted downloads get a round 12mb down 1 up also free phone calls inland in June i get BT Infinity 40mb down 10 up for 30 pound

Samanosuke

Bronze Level Poster
Im with BeThere and pay £18.99 for 24Mb, they have 24hr support, very helful very friendly. Uncapped, unthrottled, unlimited usage and for the last 3 years they have not let me down. If you renew for 12 months you pay for 9 months only.

I live 1 mile away from the exchange and get solid 22Mb all the time. Can't fault their service.

Corfate

Author Level
Im with AOL, and to be fair to them, they don't deserve alot of the stick they get :p

Not idea what package we have, but i get about 7mb download. It's been ramped up from the dreadful 200kb i used to get about a year or so ago!

All i know, is that we're not on a high tariff, so we're not paying for the 10gazilllion mb/s speeds :)

Xoil

AOL still exists? I remember getting their free CD's through the mail 10 years ago!

Tez77

Enthusiast
Aol banned me :( few years ago there package said unlimted humm downloaded 800 gig one month next thing i new they had cancelled my contract

Al.Neri

Super Star
Aol banned me :( few years ago there package said unlimted humm downloaded 800 gig one month next thing i new they had cancelled my contract

from my experience, that is not necessarily a bad thing.

I still have [sarcasm]fond[/sarcasm] memories of AOL back in the day when I was with them on 56k dial up. it was a nightmare, I can still remember the joanna lumley voice everytime I signed in.

as soon as I signed in, it would be "welcome to AOL, you have email... goodbye", then I would lose my connection as it booted me offline.

I finally had enough of them and told them I was changing my ISP. almost immediately, I went from having no correspondance with them, to getting an installation disk through the post every other day, along with a rather impersonal, personal letter thanking me for my custom, along with lots of reasons why it makes sense to stay with AOL (the most comical reason for me wanting to stay with them would be because I would be able to continue to use my AOL email address absolutely free!!!!!. they became so much of an annoyance with their disks, I started using them as coffee mats.

I still hear people complain about AOL, even today.

Corfate

Author Level
We don't have those kind of problems.. i think we all hated the dial up thing anyway :p I can still remember the beeps :D

I don't have the AOL email thing, stuff that, hated it!