Best kernel for Octane V 15"

qqdc

I've mint 19 xfce installed, and was originally using the 4.15 default kernel.
The function keys all worked out of the box, except for brightness. (I've been watching https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1775065 which I think is related.)

So I eventually installed xbacklight, and wired up brightness function keys (Func-F8 and Func-F9) to call `xbacklight -dec 10` and `xbacklight -inc 10` respectively. Good enough.

Then a week ago I upgraded to the 4.18.0-14 kernel (to see if it would fix some other issue). This stopped those keys working. When I go to add them again I find they are not being recognized at all. I.e. the other function keys still work fine, but it is like those two keys no longer exist.

It is a minor irritation (I mapped Alt-F8/F9 to adjust the brightness instead.)

But it got me wondering what kernel other people are using, and if they can confirm what works and what doesn't?

Stephen M

Author Level
Have got the Octane V 17.3" and am running Ubuntu 18.04.02 with the Gnome desktop. Have gone with whatever kernel came with install and upgrades and all the stuff I expect to work is fine. Brightness and volume function and relevant keys no problem. The usual backlight problem is there and although I believe there are fixes have never tried.

qqdc

Do you know the exact kernel? And your nvidia driver version (I'm on 390.77)? Might be interesting to narrow down where the difference is.

Can someone hit Cloudflare with a big hammer, please? Having to trial and error edit this to get past its stupid filter.

...It was telling you how to get your kernel number that triggered it. You'll have to google for that, then :)

qqdc

Thanks. Interesting that the brightness keys work; as you seem to (roughly) match both my setup, and the one in that Ubuntu bug too.