Best keyboards?

Jamed

Bronze Level Poster
Hi guys I was wondering what your opinions are on the best keyboards for gaming, typing etc. Also, what do you think is the best of all time?
Looking to buy a new one to replace my old logitech g15.
Thanks.

T

TheGeeza

For gaming, it's really down to personal preference. Definitely go mechanical but it's up to you what switches you prefer. Ducky, das, cm storm and corsair would all be good for gaming if you choose the right switches.
As for typing, the model m is still unmatched in my opinion although it's layout can take some getting used to and it can be fairly hard to find. Doesn't look modern either considering it's 30 odd years old. It uses buckling springs which are really fun to type on. The closest thing to it would probably be the das 4 pro with mx blues which is one of my favourite keyboards. Only thing I don't like is the lack of back lighting.
I have two, das 4 pro and the ducky shine 3 which are both great.

These might be helpful to you:
http://deskthority.net/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXCKHoiNu1o

Last edited by a moderator:

tom_gr7

Life Serving
What budget have you got mate? Whilst someone might be perfectly happy with a normal keyboard, a real PC gamer requires a mechanical keyboard. Basically, each individual key is a mechanical switch. As opposed to normal rubber dome keys on normal kb's.

With mechanical keyboards, you have different types of key switches made by a company called MX (afaik) so you would have Cherry MX red's, Cherry MX blues, browns and blacks. Each switch feels slightly different and offers a slightly different experience. Have a read here - http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/official-mechanical-keyboard-guide

I have a Cm storm Quickfire Tk (clicky) with red led's and red switches, it's a small kb but does the job and is only 60ish quid. There are quite a few brands for mech kb's but I'd say you pay for the brand more than anything. I have found the CM storm kb pretty solid, my cat even knocked a bottle of beer all over it and it still worked as normal afterwards.

So, Imo, if you are looking to spend more than 50 quid, i'd certainly look at getting a mech kb.

Jamed

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks for the replies guys.
Don't really have a budget. Just want the best available :)
Quite like the look of the cm storm or the daskeyboards pro. Is there anything else I should consider when looking for one?

T

TheGeeza

Thanks for the replies guys.
Don't really have a budget. Just want the best available :)
Quite like the look of the cm storm or the daskeyboards pro. Is there anything else I should consider when looking for one?

You should go with the layout that you are most used to. I think the g15 is ISO so I would try to go with that layout. The difference is that ANSI layouts have a small enter key and the ISO layout has the tall enter key.
I would try to avoid gimmicky features. The g19 has a screen on it which bumps up the price by a good £30 and isn't really that useful. The main reason I like the das is because it's so minimalistic and there is zero flex in the base plate.

Last edited by a moderator:

samcol

Bronze Level Poster
If you want the best (in my opinion) go for the Corsair K70 Vengeance (in black & red of course). It's my first expensive keyboard and it is flawless. The back lighting + the brushed finish look awesome and the build quality is superb. I assure you you wont be disappointed with it.

marvir

Enthusiast
While on topic, I've never tried mechanical keyboards and settled for a "gaming" membrane keyboard as I've heard they're quite noisy. For the lightest switch (red one is it?), how does the sound compare to say a laptop keyboard?

samcol

Bronze Level Poster
The K70 Vengeance has the keys sat higher than usual, so that the LED glow underneath really shows through. As a result the keys can be quite loud (I wouldn't use it if i was a live-streamer), but i like it, its a smooth, satisfying click thanks to the Cherry MX Reds. If you had to put an extremely rough uhhh 'tag' on it, id say they're about twice as loud when typing than a standard mechanical HP Keyboard for example that would come with an off-the-shelf system. I haven't used a laptop in a while but i think going from a laptop to a large mechanical keyboard would be quite a jump, but you'd get used to it pretty quick. IMO the Pros of a mechanical keyboard (especially the K70) waaaaaaaaaayyy outweigh the noise.

marvir

Enthusiast
I really liked the look of the K70 but the noise issue isn't really for me, it's who is in the room that has to put up with it that I had to take a quieter option. It does have a nice, sturdy build though, and though I don't really care for lights much, I gotta admit they look cool. Hopefully when I get another place I can try a mechanical keyboard, but overall I like softer keys, like the one on my old Clevo W880CU, with the chiclet keyboard.

samcol

Bronze Level Poster
That's fair enough. The build quality is rock solid, but I wouldn't have one if I didn't have my own personal space.