Best monitor for gaming, productivity and 3d design?

TBros

Hi,

Im looking for a monitor for gaming, productivity and 3d design to accompany my new PC arriving next week (specs posted below). I am preferably after a 144hz+ monitor with high res and a big screen. Any suggestions? (no more than 1k if possible)

Case
CORSAIR iCUE 5000X RGB MID TOWER GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12 Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.8GHz/70MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® CROSSHAIR VIII HERO WIFI (DDR4, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX/SLI) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
NONE, I ALREADY HAVE A GRAPHICS CARD ( TUF GAMING Radeon™ RX 6800 XT OC Edition )
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 7000MB/R, 5000MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H150i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi,

Im looking for a monitor for gaming, productivity and 3d design to accompany my new PC arriving next week (specs posted below). I am preferably after a 144hz+ monitor with high res and a big screen. Any suggestions? (no more than 1k if possible)

Case
CORSAIR iCUE 5000X RGB MID TOWER GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12 Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.8GHz/70MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® CROSSHAIR VIII HERO WIFI (DDR4, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX/SLI) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
NONE, I ALREADY HAVE A GRAPHICS CARD ( TUF GAMING Radeon™ RX 6800 XT OC Edition )
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 7000MB/R, 5000MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H150i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Oooo, yes, we can certainly find something yumful for this kind of stuff!

When you say big screen, what are you talking? The mainstream monitors are 32" and under. But the big tasty bad boys all tend to be over 40".

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Between 32-40 don't mind going a bit bigger :)
Awesome, let's have some fun! A few of these will be over budget, but I'm going to throw them in there so you can see the differences.

This is the best value option imho. It's a very new offering and has been very highly received, will link some youtube review of it too

Gigabyte FV43U, 43" VA Panel with HDR1000 4k 144Hz plus HDMI 2.1 (120Hz for consoles) @ £960

Very similar option from a different manufacturer

Acer Predator CG437KP @ £999 - Very much the same as above but only has HDMI 2.0 rather than the new 2.1

But the best of the best is the Samsung G9 which is a superwide at 49", it's essentially 2 x 1440 screens together without the bezel so it's 5120 x 1440. It's HDR 1000 again and 240Hz, it's only HDMI 2.0 and this won't be as colour accurate as the above two screens, but for workflow real estate and gaming, it's just the bees knees, currently at £1100 direct from Samsung, and I think Amazon has that offer too.

Last edited:

TBros

Awesome, let's have some fun! A few of these will be over budget, but I'm going to throw them in there so you can see the differences.

This is the best value option imho. It's a very new offering and has been very highly received, will link some youtube review of it too

Gigabyte FV43U, 43" VA Panel with HDR1000 4k 144Hz plus HDMI 2.1 (120Hz for consoles) @ £960

Very similar option from a different manufacturer

Acer Predator CG437KP @ £999 - Very much the same as above but only has HDMI 2.0 rather than the new 2.1

But the best of the best is the Samsung G9 which is a superwide, it's essentially 2 x 1440 screens together without the bezel so it's 5120 x 1440. It's HDR 1000 again and 240Hz, it's only HDMI 2.0 and this won't be as colour accurate as the above two screens, but for workflow real estate and gaming, it's just the bees knees, currently at £1100 direct from Samsung, and I think Amazon has that offer too.

looks really good, anything similiar but a bit cheaper? out of curiosity, whats your views on the samsung g9? As a student i get 20 percent off samsung monitors.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
looks really good, anything similiar but a bit cheaper? out of curiosity, whats your views on the samsung g9? As a student i get 20 percent off samsung monitors.
I added the G9 after the fact, if you get 20% off making it £880, then IMHO, no questions asked for gaming and productivity, the Samsung is just a different league even to 4k 144Hz. If you factor in the pixel ratio:

Samsung Superwide: 5120 x 1440 = 7,372,800
4k : 3840 x 2160 = 8,294,400

So in overall pixel count, the two aren't that far apart. But in usage terms, the Samsung is so much more valuable. And when it comes to gaming, no competition, the immersion of the Samsung is just leaps and bounds better than 4k IMHO.

Now the Samsung does come with compromises: The colour accuracy won't be as high, and you'll have to get used to the curve. But the curve works really well, you just need to adjust what you're used to which may take a couple of days. And there will be older titles that won't be able to scale to the superwide resolution, so you'll just have normal resolution with black turned off screen either side. From people who've got one though, that isn't the issue it sounds like it could be.

(NB) this was made before the recall where they fixed all the problems

Last edited:

TBros

amazing, are you talking about the g9 or the new nano g9? IS there much difference between the original g9 and the 49" G95T Dual-QHD Curved Gaming Monitor?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
amazing, are you talking about the g9 or the new nano g9? IS there much difference between the original g9 and the 49" G95T Dual-QHD Curved Gaming Monitor?
The G9 Neo is quite a subtle change to the normal G9, it's really just the local backlight dimming array that's been reworked. BUT it does make a ginormous difference, and that's translated in the cost. The Neo is around £2000 I think.

I'm actually not sure if there's any difference between the G9 and the G95T, they're exactly the same specs. There are about 3 different model numbers for the G9 but they're all the same monitor as far as I can tell. I think the XXU model was the original before it was recalled. But those have all been fixed under the recall, so they're exactly the same as the XEN model.

I think the full model number is Samsung LC49G95TSSUXEN or LC49G95TSSRXXU, and Samsung have just shortened it for ease of reference to the middle G95T bit

Bigfoot

Grand Master
An alternative approach would be to get 2 monitors - one optimised for editing and productivity (BenQ do some excellent versions and reasonable prices) and the other for gaming.

Enax

The G9-Neo is rated to HDR whereas the older G9 is not. The new G9-Neo has mini-LED which gives it the improvement on the older G9 and therefore a better picture. Not quite OLED quality but not far off. Downside is it’s about £700-800 more expensive than the G9.

Comparison between the 2 can be found here:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The G9-Neo is rated to HDR whereas the older G9 is not. The new G9-Neo has mini-LED which gives it the improvement on the older G9 and therefore a better picture. Not quite OLED quality but not far off. Downside is it’s about £700-800 more expensive than the G9.

Comparison between the 2 can be found here:
They're both HDR, the original is HDR1000 the Neo is HDR2000 and has a crazy number of local dimming arrays, it's off the charts of what HDR has been able to achieve preciously.

Enax

They're both HDR, the original is HDR1000 the Neo is HDR2000 and has a crazy number of local dimming arrays, it's off the charts of what HDR has been able to achieve preciously.

Yep 100% right. Error on my part! Although a lot of people that have used both said the difference isn’t worth the price hike. Personally, if I was getting a G9 I’d probably save the extra cash and go with the original G9.