Best place to buy pc games?

EYEONME

Hi,
I really new to pc gaming and just wonder what's with all the games you can download now in stead of going to the shop?! What are the pro's and con's of it?!

steaky360

Big pro for me was the steam summer sale. I got tons of games extremely cheaply. (Also, many games you can buy from shops now and still get a DVD infact only seem to request you install steam and download the game through that!)

rickne

Master Poster
I recomend STEAM ..sorry but its hard to fault the deals that Valve have on that store.

Secondly EA's ORIGIN whilst hated upon , if you wanna play Battlefield 3 this is the only way (not specifically to buy it as it can be bought in stores but youll need Origin Client to play) ,

thirdly Green man gaming. They constantly have 10% deals and most games run through steam that you buy there anyway. Sometimes the cheapest for new games at least.

steaky360

Well if its Steam you can download it to your account as many times as required. If you use different PCs you can log into your steam account on both of them and have the same game on both. You will only be able to use one of the games at a time however.

At least, that's how I understand it.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
People slate origin but I like it, it does exactly what steam does.

You can install the same games on two pc's, but you cant have both logged in as "online" at the same time. So you can play bf3 online on one rig, then bf3 single player on another rig.

You can also choose where you want to install ya games, eg i have origin and bf3 on my ssd, but my other origin games on my hdd. You can do this on steam buts its not as simple.

I tend to only download games via steam or origin, no where else. ( don't trust no one )

But I Will buy copies via amazon and/or zavvi.com as steam is only cheap during the sales

sted

Rising Star
I usually buy from play.com.

Pros:

Usually cheaper than retail prices
Loads of sellers with constant positive feedback
Now have a superpoints system for money off purchases (Points are earned by purchasing things from play.com)
Most games, new and old can be bought from here
Saves you leaving the house to go buy it (If you are partly house bound like me and don't get out much for whatever reason this is a great thing)

Cons:

There are some who aren't so reliable on play.com
You have to wait for delivery of games usually 3 - 5 days, depending on when it is dispatched
Super points, when earned need to be authorized or somesuch, for example you buy a game for 25 pound earning 25 SP, you have to wait so long before they become available to spend.
Sometimes may get lost in the post as post these days is hectic and 1st class is now equal to 2nd class if not worse in terms of delivery times.
You're not guaranteed the seller is a genuine one

-------------------------------------

Like play.com on facebook for exclusive competitions and offers apparently too.

Last edited:

Diem

Bronze Level Poster
I tend to only download games via steam or origin, no where else. ( don't trust no one )

But I Will buy copies via amazon and/or zavvi.com as steam is only cheap during the sales

I was trying to figure out if I was missing something - am looking at getting FIFA 13 when it comes out, which is £35 pre-order through Game or Play, but £45 through Origin. Is there any difference, other than delivery time?

DaelpixPhotos

Super Star
I second G2A too.

....but miss out the '/r/staples89' part.

This user has only posted ONE comment and has his username in the link just to get a little cash going his way.

I've bought games from Amazon and Play.com.

Also Shopto.net is a good place to buy new games.

NilSatis

Bright Spark
Lol....now with free empty box with purchase!

I check out Cheapshark for the deals going around, but for the latest games I use allkeyshop which points you to sites with the cheapest cd keys (which are usually steam redeemable) from places such as g2a and kinguin. I try to get them on Steam as I like my massive list of games I am never going to play to grow all the time. :surrender:

ricbai

Bronze Level Poster
I use Steam quite a bit, but do buy quite a few games via http://www.humblebundle.com , http://www.indiegala.com and recently https://www.greenmangaming.com/ . I did previously use G2A three times - first two times, absolutely no problems (even though a small wait - about an hour - for access details), the third and final time they wouldn't send me the serial key until I had granted them viewer rights over my machine (even though the game code was going to be a gift to a third party). Cancelled and got that order refunded: and then came the whole serial number thing where quite a few were deactivated: I'll probably not touch G2A and the like again.

Staples89

Games (40%+ Discounts!)

Hi,
I really new to pc gaming and just wonder what's with all the games you can download now in stead of going to the shop?! What are the pro's and con's of it?!

G2A is a fantastic web-store where you can buy games cheap (40%+ Discounts!) and save some cash that you then can use for other useful stuff such as food/drinks and whatever you desire to do with it!

https://www.g2a.com/r/cheap_pcgames

FusRoDah

Gold Level Poster
I use Steam quite a bit, but do buy quite a few games via http://www.humblebundle.com , http://www.indiegala.com and recently https://www.greenmangaming.com/ . I did previously use G2A three times - first two times, absolutely no problems (even though a small wait - about an hour - for access details), the third and final time they wouldn't send me the serial key until I had granted them viewer rights over my machine (even though the game code was going to be a gift to a third party). Cancelled and got that order refunded: and then came the whole serial number thing where quite a few were deactivated: I'll probably not touch G2A and the like again.

That is standard practice with some sellers on G2A. You are always informed prior to purchase in a big text font. The program/site they use for that by the way is join.me which is 100% safe and is used all the time by Local Authorities in the UK for Multi Agency meetings.

As for wait times, I've never had to wait more than 5 minutes (the standard). I will continue to use G2A as often as my wallet can afford it =)

Last edited:

Cricky

Enthusiast
In addition to those already mentioned.

GreenManGaming - often have decent deals on - Steam keys.
GOG - the only place to find a lot of older games but plenty of new ones too. All DRM free downloads.
The Humble Store - not just bundles they also sell a lot of games now - Steam keys.

carambu

Cheapshark is a very good place to check price, but no appear webs like G2A, kinguin,..... I always recommend cehck prices in comparator site like Isthereanydeal, Cheapshark or gocdkeys... for me this sites are the best comparator cd key prices. in the first two there is only official web shops, last web are all (official and unofficial)

DeadCircuits

I haven't really used it a lot, but my GPU came with a free copy of the Witcher 3 which required me to use GOG Galaxy. Its very similar to Steam and has the added bonus of being DRM free.

If you're into retro games I'd really recommend it, it also has most new titles that you would find on Steam etc.