Best way to setup software on new PC

SteveB

Gold Level Poster
Hi Guy's

I have ordered a new PC and have put a 80gb ssd drive in and a 1TB drive, now as I understand it I should put windows and any other software on the SSD for faster boot times, is this correct? and keep all other files on the 1TB drive?, should the software be installed in any particlure order? and I am unsure of how to get th PC to bring up the 1TB drive when I try to save stuff like jpegs etc
Is there a website that can show this stuff step by step?

Gishank

Bright Spark
Yes it would be best to install your applications and OS on your SSD and use the HDD as a data drive. Additionally, no there would be no real difference as to what order you install your software in.

As for as to where your software saves things, you type the drive letter in, hit enter. It'll bring up the drive, save you searching for it. Or are your reffering to changing where Windows 7's 'My Documents' is placed?

SteveB

Gold Level Poster
Hi Gishank

Thanks for the info so far, and yes partly I would like to have all those types of files on the second drive and whenever I want to save something, have it set so th pc will automaticaly show me the second drive, Is this possable?

Gishank

Bright Spark
Well. As far as I am aware, you can not. Though as Windows likes to remember the last opened location or My Documents, you'd be in effect doing the same thing.

As for changing the location of where My Documents 'exists', you can - though you will need to google how as unfortuently I can't remember off of the top of my head.

Last edited:

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
When you save a file, just browse for the second hard drive, like for example if you were saving it to a flash drive, open the folder and click save.

SteveB

Gold Level Poster
Thanks guy's, I was aware you can search for where you want to save stuff etc I just want to have everything in the right place from the get go
Are there any do's n don'ts I should be aware of when installing etc or should I just install away
Sorry guy's I'm not completely computer illiterate and I understand it is a simple operation, I only want to install stuff once and not think later on that I should have put this or that elsewhere as it would have improved the performance.

Gishank

Bright Spark
Well, it varys from program to program. If you have something like say the digital games distribution platform Steam, then you would want to install that on your lesser HDD, considering Steam's games and files install in to its own sub-folder and not a seperate one.