BI initializeLibrary failed 0xc00000bb black screen on launch?

EvilGrins

Bronze Level Poster
Recently I updated my PC to the latest version, couple days later I boot up my PC out of nowhere and I get the error code that I put in the title of this thread, I'm not sure if that was the exact same but it looked very similar to that after a quick google search. This has never happened before, not once. Should I be concerned about this? After another quick reboot my PC seems to be working normally as usual... What is that error and is there anything I can do to prevent it?

EvilGrins

Bronze Level Poster
No I haven't. The only thing I really tinker with are the fans on my GPU using MSI Afterburner. I haven't changed anything else recently besides the update that I mentioned above.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
No I haven't. The only thing I really tinker with are the fans on my GPU using MSI Afterburner. I haven't changed anything else recently besides the update that I mentioned above.
I would log it with PCS just to be safe. This can mean BIOS corruption is on the way (which would be bad), but may be entirely preventable by flashing over it or swapping to a backup bios. But it’s best to run anything bios repeated through PCS.

It could well be a red herring also, just don’t know, first time I’ve come across it.

What motherboard do you have?

A workaround is to disable secure boot, but that’s disabling the issue rather than addressing it. I’d still log it with PCS in the first instance.

EvilGrins

Bronze Level Poster
Yeah it is, I bought it back in 2017 with a three year warranty but that is over by the looks of things.

EvilGrins

Bronze Level Poster
I've been reading through my manual that came with the PC and it says things like "If there are no problems with the current BIOS, DO NOT manually update the BIOS" and "Manually updating BIOS can lead to system failure to boot" - That's the thing, as of right now I can't see any problems with my PC, it's running just fine as before, I only got this error today when I launched and that was the first time. It's been fine since another reboot so I'm not really sure if I should update my BIOS or not.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Recently I updated my PC to the latest version, couple days later I boot up my PC out of nowhere and I get the error code that I put in the title of this thread, I'm not sure if that was the exact same but it looked very similar to that after a quick google search. This has never happened before, not once. Should I be concerned about this? After another quick reboot my PC seems to be working normally as usual... What is that error and is there anything I can do to prevent it?
That for me is the most likely culprit. What version of Windows were you running before, what version are you running now, and how did you do the update?

I would hold off on a BIOS update unless and until there are no other options to explore.

EvilGrins

Bronze Level Poster
I believe I updated from Windows 10 version 1803 or 1809 to Windows 1903. As far as how I did the update, I just did it through update and security check in Windows settings and everything was seemingly smooth during the update.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I believe I updated from Windows 10 version 1803 or 1809 to Windows 1903. As far as how I did the update, I just did it through update and security check in Windows settings and everything was seemingly smooth during the update.
That may well be your problem then. Allowing Windows Update to upgrade from one version of Windows 10 to another should work for all users, but some (many actually) discover all sorts of niggly problems and issues - just like your 0xc00000bb error.

Personally I would not ignore it just because all seems to be well, you have no idea whether your system is stable or not. My earnest and best advice is that you download a copy of Windows 10 1903 by using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool and have the tool write the installation media to a USB stick (8GB min). Then boot that USB stick and do a full clean install of 1903 and not an upgrade. Allow Windows Update to find all your drivers (keep running Windows Update until no more updates are found) and then reinstall all your third party software and copy back any user data from backups.

I appreciate that this isn't something that you probably want to do, though the more you do it the faster you get, but it is the only way to be certain that you have a stable and error-free copy of 1903 installed. I'm 99% certain that this will solve your 0xc00000bb, but if it doesn't then you will at least know that it's then not a Windows problem and we can look elsewhere. :)