Big Plans - Cable Solutions

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Anyone got any neat solutions for cable tidying? I'm planning my games room at the moment and it's just a spiders web of cables going all over the place.

My main consideration is floor cabling (for now). What do people use to keep them out of sight? In my previous home I could access underneath the floorboards quite easily so I simply went about it that way.

I've looked at the MDF skirting with the hidden panels, but 2.4m lengths won't do for me, I don't want joins (and they don't look very nice). I also don't fancy the skirting additions that you can get.

I'm going to be laying carpet, and I haven't actually checked underneath it yet but I'm hoping for timber. If it's concrete I'm going to be in bother.

Has anyone run a channel down their flooring or has everyone just gone underneath?

@SpyderTracks, what's your thoughts on the AV cables. With car audio I always separate the speaker wire from any power wires. Would the same be said with home AV cabling? What about HDMI cables and the likes, should they be kept away from analogue audio cable also? It's not expensive wire so I doubt it's well shielded.

In an ideal world I'll be able to get under the floorboards and lay a few lengths of trunking that I can access at either end. I don't think I'm going to get this lucky though. I'm planning on a fairly permanent solution so I want to have breakout boxes with the required connections in place.

Any thoughts, help, solutions or any input at all would be appreciated :D

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
what's your thoughts on the AV cables. With car audio I always separate the speaker wire from any power wires. Would the same be said with home AV cabling? What about HDMI cables and the likes, should they be kept away from analogue audio cable also? It's not expensive wire so I doubt it's well shielded.
I asked this actually.

With analogue cables like RCA where they're not grounded, it's generally advised to keep them separate from any power cables. Apparently speaker cable is barely affected at all by high voltage surrounding it, and AV cables as well I would imagine would be ok cos they're grounded.

I have paid too much attention to my cabling and haven't had any issues.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I had the haunting realisation that I would no longer be able to enjoy my vinyl purchases...... I couldn't have that, so..... I may just have shifted the main parts of the system to the livingroom :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Interestingly, with just the stereo speakers playing in stereo mode, I'm getting a more surrounding sound. I don't know if it's the close proximity to the speakers or not but I'm liking the wave of sound that's hitting me. It's not even turned up particularly loud but the soundstage sounds extended to me. It's lacking bass though, you really get used to a subwoofer!

TCvuyLT.jpg

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
On the cable front, I have the following ordered:

6 half switch boxes
5 Banana Plug wall plates
1 single RCA wall plate
1 double switch box
1 5.1 speaker wall plate
61Qonn+0ixL._AC_SL1125_.jpg

6 single gang modular wall plates
1 double gang modular wall plate
1 twin HDMI wall plate
1 twin port Cat6 wall plate
2x Cat 6 port modules
2x 3.5mm modules
1x red RCA coupler
1x black RCA coupler
1x double RCA coupler
3x USB 3.0 Modules
3x HDMI modules
1x DP module
2x brush plate modules

Gives an idea to the level I'm going to with the cable management :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
On the cable front, I have the following ordered:

6 half switch boxes
5 Banana Plug wall plates
1 single RCA wall plate
1 double switch box
1 5.1 speaker wall plate
61Qonn+0ixL._AC_SL1125_.jpg

6 single gang modular wall plates
1 double gang modular wall plate
1 twin HDMI wall plate
1 twin port Cat6 wall plate
2x Cat 6 port modules
2x 3.5mm modules
1x red RCA coupler
1x black RCA coupler
1x double RCA coupler
3x USB 3.0 Modules
3x HDMI modules
1x DP module
2x brush plate modules

Gives an idea to the level I'm going to with the cable management :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
But if it's all hidden away, you won't be able to wind @AgentCooper up with photos of it.....

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Here goes..........

First made sure I had access:
7QTbA3Z.jpg

Carpet out
lOYRvLu.jpg

Then onto making a right mess
ZvM1jNU.jpg

m8r7MVi.jpg

RKSW9bl.jpg

8dF2vlb.jpg

8auUSTR.jpg

WQ8X5F9.jpg

hGps5XM.jpg

Had to literally scrape the walls
Jr19CFT.jpg

uloK4gJ.jpg

Plaster on
kycRgnn.jpg

Bl6kqSI.jpg

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Testing
MUIBZ77.jpg

zHnJ2M5.jpg

Finishing off
lEZhkM0.jpg

7KmuXzg.jpg

xLzgfgD.jpg

0UP3urv.jpg

Iw6rait.jpg

iBb30jO.jpg

Kyz8u8J.jpg

vSUsrHs.jpg

Ftn6QFi.jpg

Started re-assembling the toy last night
8iYLtRc.jpg

Cable tidy for @AgentCooper
iXXwSmz.jpg

Screen should arrive next week and new blinds are being ordered soon :D

I'm well chuffed. I was so scared that it wouldn't work, a cable would have broken or something behind the plaster but everything worked perfectly right out of the gate.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Testing
MUIBZ77.jpg

zHnJ2M5.jpg

Finishing off
lEZhkM0.jpg

7KmuXzg.jpg

xLzgfgD.jpg

0UP3urv.jpg

Iw6rait.jpg

iBb30jO.jpg

Kyz8u8J.jpg

vSUsrHs.jpg

Ftn6QFi.jpg

Started re-assembling the toy last night
8iYLtRc.jpg

Cable tidy for @AgentCooper
iXXwSmz.jpg

Screen should arrive next week and new blinds are being ordered soon :D

I'm well chuffed. I was so scared that it wouldn't work, a cable would have broken or something behind the plaster but everything worked perfectly right out of the gate.
Mate, did you do all this yourself?

I'm seriously impressed, that's quality work!

I've just fixed 2 lightbulbs, cleared out the dishwasher pump and fixed an automatic garage door and I thought I was a blessed DIY enthusiast. I'm usually the guy that calls someone in for a busted lightbulb :ROFLMAO:

This is another level!

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Mate, did you do all this yourself?

I'm seriously impressed, that's quality work!

I've just fixed 2 lightbulbs, cleared out the dishwasher pump and fixed an automatic garage door and I thought I was a blessed DIY enthusiast. I'm usually the guy that calls someone in for a busted lightbulb :ROFLMAO:

This is another level!

I didn't plaster or fit the carpet..... I did 99% of the mess making though :LOL:

Everything other than the plaster and the carpet was me. That was one of the main reasons it took so long, I had to juggle work, a life & kids between the shifts :D

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Just got the notification that this is on route:

51zcpDGFzlL._AC_SY450_.jpg

I've not been able to enjoy the 4K experience properly due to my current AV receiver only supporting 4k @ 30hz..... which Netflix doesn't allow due to not being HDCP 2.2 compliant.

With the changes I made to my surround setup I'm now left with a pair of Tannoy Floor standing speakers (V4s), a Tannoy Centre speaker (7C) and an AV receiver Pioneer VSX-923. I currently have a reasonable soundbar & subwoofer setup but I now have the option to replace this with all of the leftovers and just add a Sub. Decisions, decisions.

The only down side is, again, the TV is 4k. I would need to use the ARC to make the most of the viewing so I may just sell what I have on and stick with the soundbar.