Billy Basic microphone - how do I get it to work, please?!

Cate

Hi there

With all these Zoom calls going on, I thought I'd buy a microphone for my PC so that I don't have to sit with my phone, trying to have a meeting with 10+ colleagues!

I bought an 'omnidirectional condenser microphone' from Ebay with a USB to connect it to my pc.

Well, the thing Finally arrived and, of course, I don't know which USB port to put it into on the back of the tower, so I've changed this several times.

The thing itself is obligingly flashing its blue light continuously - getting quite irritating now, tbf - but can I get it to work? No

Any suggestions would be Very gratefully received.

Many thanks, Cate

1588422716623.png

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Doesn't matter which USB port you plug it into.

Have you done a test meeting? https://zoom.us/test

And finally you realise it is -only- a microphone not a speaker, don't you? I only ask because I bought something similar without reading it properly! Idiot moment of colossal proportions.

Cate

Hi Tony and thank you for your reply.

I've just done a zoom test and sadly, it's not registering any sound.

I think it must be registering on the computer because the blue light is flashing in the unit.

I think it's a Very sensible question - that it is 'only' a microphone and not a speaker! And yes, I think I do know what you mean - it's a device that I can speak into and the person at the other end will hear me.

If you can think of anything else, I would be Sooo grateful

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Open the sound settings, which you can do by right clicking on the loudspeaker sound icon in the system tray at bottom right and selecting Open Sound Settings from the popup menu. In the settings window that opens find the Input section and in there is a pull-down menu where you select your input device - make sure your microphone is selected. You can also click the Device Properties menu item underneath to set the volume of that microphone. There's a Test Your Microphone option underneath and even a Troubleshoot button to troubleshoot problems. :)

Cate

Hi and thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, it's still not working...

In the first image, for the 'input' it's only got this one device - 'microphone (IDT High Definition' - at the risk of sounding stupid, I assuming that that's the microphone that I'm trying to get to work!

In the second image, well it's obvious what you're looking at. when I try and click on the other options, it immediately comes up with a notice saying that the microphone isn't plugged in there are always returns to this third option.

If you have any further suggestions, I would be very grateful.

Many thanks, Cate

image-02-05-20-06-48.jpeg
image-02-05-20-06-48-1.jpeg

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Is "Microphone (IDT High Definition...) the new mic?

If so, it kind of suggests it might be faulty.

For what it's worth, I use a Jabra 500 which is designed to be a small USB/Bluetooth conference speaker/mic. It is probably overkill in many ways, but it was well worth the money to ease my ears for hours of lockdown conference calls.

Cate

Hi Tony and I'm inclined to agree.

I really think I have tried absolutely everything.

Very frustrating.

As this is a (hopefully) short term situation for me - teacher, working at home, having Zoom staff meetings - I think I'll just leave it.

And next time, I'll ensure I bring my work laptop home with me - which has both a microphone and a webcam.

Hey ho.....

Thank you for your suggestions.

Cate

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I don't think that 'IDT High Definition Codec' is your new microphone at all. It sounds like your new microphone is not being detected properly.

What I'd like you to do is open Device Manager (either right-click on the Start icon and select Device Manager from the popup menu list, or enter the command devmgmt.msc into the Run box).

Once you have the Device Manager widow open, expand the 'Audio inputs & outputs' section by clicking on the arrow next to it. If you can, take a screenshot of that and post it here. That will list all microphone devices (and speaker devices) that Windows thinks you have. :)

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Whilst in device manager, if you unplug the microphone, do any of the above entries disappear?

This is mine with the Jabra plugged in:

1588597275717.png

And with it removed:

1588597300416.png

Cate

Well interestingly, it is exactly the same - the only difference is that the blue light in the new microphone has (obviously!) stopped flashing!

1588597712509.png
1588597712509.png

Cate

So, I think what you're suggesting is that the IDT High Definition Audio isn't the microphone that I'm trying to get to work at all!

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Correct...on the face of it at least, it simply is not being detected.

When you connect it/disconnect it, any beeps? Does the device manager refresh/flash?

Cate

I see what you mean - the computer is enabling the blue light to flash through providing the electricity but it's not actually detecting the hardware.

I don't hear any beeps and the device manager remains exactly the same....

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
It does rather sound like the microphone is faulty I am afraid.

Assuming other things work when plugged into the USB ports? As a last test it might be worthwhile swapping say your mouse (assuming it's USB) and the microphone over.

Cate

Well, blow me down - I Almost didn't try your suggestion - but I did and it's worked! I took out the USB from the wireless mouse and put the mircrophone USB in there - and immediately there was that little ping of three notes. Then, put the mouse USB in the back of the tower and there was the same ping of notes!

I don't understand why, but it is now working so Thank you for your perseverance and help!

Cate

1588602603364.png
1588602603364.png
1588602603364.png

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Wooohooo! So glad it is working.

What may have happened is that it wasn't picked up properly in the first port - I've seen it happen before - and then subsequently effectively gets ignored by Windows.

Simply changing the port kicks Windows into doing another device scan and plugging it back into the "faulty" (for want of a better term) port, it is then picked up again from then on.

Happy days. So glad it's worked for you.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Glad it's working! Sorry I didn't get back to you, it's been a busy afternoon here. [emoji41]