Bios / Control Center Update on 17,3" VYPER

Engine

Yes the Original Manufacturer drivers would be the ones from Tongfang but they don't provide any to the public but simply distribute it to other companies for them to distribute to final users.
I saw somewhere else a warning against installing official drivers from Nvidia on another Tongfang Chassis for the same reasons (official drivers could be unstable) so I'm not sure. In any case I'll hold off on installing them for now and maybe do it later as soon as I bump into an app that has issues. So far so good. Thanks again George!

GeorgeCA

Bronze Level Poster
Hey guys so where can I find the lasted version of control center?
The link has been removed!!

Give me your email address and i will send it to you ... if i post it here PCS will remove it .. i dont understand why because really is a driver that only they can provide.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Give me your email address and i will send it to you ... if i post it here PCS will remove it .. i dont understand why because really is a driver that only they can provide.
We cannot ever be certain of the contents of binary files posted on the fora. We delete links to unverified sites to protect the forum membership from potentially malicious code, whether uploaded innocently or not. If you link to a PCS site or a vendor site (Clevo for example) we'll leave it up. We also (in the main) leave github links up too.

GeorgeCA

Bronze Level Poster
We cannot ever be certain of the contents of binary files posted on the fora. We delete links to unverified sites to protect the forum membership from potentially malicious code, whether uploaded innocently or not. If you link to a PCS site or a vendor site (Clevo for example) we'll leave it up.

The link i posted previously was from PCS directly ..
I guess the repository of drivers should be updated for all accounts automatically, but they dont ...

Attachments

• PCS.JPG
    PCS.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 252

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The link i posted previously was from PCS directly ..
I guess the repository of drivers should be updated for all accounts automatically, but they dont ...
The problem was (and will be in the future) that the link was sent to you personally by PCS, so you can trust the link.

But when you post any link to an external repository site like that on here there is no way that we can trust it I'm afraid.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I find PCS' approach to things like this baffling.

I don't know anyone who has permanently bricked a device from a failed BIOS update for close to twenty five years - when the BIOS manufacturers started to put recovery code into read-only areas of the chips (this was actually in response to a virus that was doing the rounds that wiped certain BIOS chips (Phoenix, if I recall).

I also don't undertand why they don't keep a repository of updated software such as the control center, as it seems it's out of date on a lot of devices when shipped (or in some cases, missing altogether) and you would think have a single source that can be regularly updated, and pointed to would be a whole load easier than sending individual links to users when they ask.

As I say between this and their crippling of the BIOSes to begin with, it all seems an odd way to do things compared to others.

I've had three, maybe even four BIOS updates from the manufacturer of my current laptop. Two were to fix Intel flaws (I didn't do much digging into which, as it's an automated process I just let run monthly) one was performance-related. I think there was another security-related one that wasn't Intel created.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I find PCS' approach to things like this baffling.

I don't know anyone who has permanently bricked a device from a failed BIOS update for close to twenty five years - when the BIOS manufacturers started to put recovery code into read-only areas of the chips (this was actually in response to a virus that was doing the rounds that wiped certain BIOS chips (Phoenix, if I recall).

I also don't undertand why they don't keep a repository of updated software such as the control center, as it seems it's out of date on a lot of devices when shipped (or in some cases, missing altogether) and you would think have a single source that can be regularly updated, and pointed to would be a whole load easier than sending individual links to users when they ask.

As I say between this and their crippling of the BIOSes to begin with, it all seems an odd way to do things compared to others.

I've had three, maybe even four BIOS updates from the manufacturer of my current laptop. Two were to fix Intel flaws (I didn't do much digging into which, as it's an automated process I just let run monthly) one was performance-related. I think there was another security-related one that wasn't Intel created.
As far as the BIOS is concerned, the Ts&Cs are very clear that a BIOS update without informing PCS may void the warranty. You might not like that but you can't say that you didn't know. If you're not happy with the terms PCS use then buy from somewhere else.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
As far as the BIOS is concerned, the Ts&Cs are very clear that a BIOS update without informing PCS may void the warranty. You might not like that but you can't say that you didn't know. If you're not happy with the terms PCS use then buy from somewhere else.

And there you are once again with not-so-passive aggression.

First of all, I clearly did just that, as you can see from my use of words such as "... the manufacturer of my current laptop ..."

At no point (again) did I say anything about not knowing it but as you tend to do with a lot of my posts, you've picked up on the bits I didn't say and ignored the bits I did.

Do you disagree with me then that it would make more sense to add updated components such as the control centre on one accessible URL rather than wait for individual users to ask for it when they have problems and have to generate a dedicated link each time, that then cannot be shared?

Rather than behaving like this and lashing out at me every time I say something you appear not to like, why can't you just ignore it and move on? Honestly these constant ad hominem attacks are getting really tiresome.

I will say it again - you are a moderator here. You should be leading by example and holding yourself to a higher standard than your average user.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
And there you are once again with not-so-passive aggression.

First of all, I clearly did just that, as you can see from my use of words such as "... the manufacturer of my current laptop ..."

At no point (again) did I say anything about not knowing it but as you tend to do with a lot of my posts, you've picked up on the bits I didn't say and ignored the bits I did.

Do you disagree with me then that it would make more sense to add updated components such as the control centre on one accessible URL rather than wait for individual users to ask for it when they have problems and have to generate a dedicated link each time, that then cannot be shared?

Rather than behaving like this and lashing out at me every time I say something you appear not to like, why can't you just ignore it and move on? Honestly these constant ad hominem attacks are getting really tiresome.

I will say it again - you are a moderator here. You should be leading by example and holding yourself to a higher standard than your average user.
I fail to see how what I wrote could be called 'lashing out'. I have simply stated the situation as far as the PCS Ts&Cs are concerned. The only person being aggressive is yourself, and I'm afraid you have a long history of it too.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
It's always the other party in your eyes. We get it - PCS can do no wrong in your eyes when it comes to their BIOS approach. Others, that like to be treated like they own what they bought, do have an issue with it. But every time it's mentioned, you take it like a personal insult.

Whatever. I've added you to my ignore list. Problem solved.

D

Deleted member 17413

Wow... He's a Mod, who is a volunteer and doesnt work for PCS/get paid and he's just telling you that you cant do it without voiding the warranty on a PCS build.

You are they one who has repeatedly critised PCS handling of BIOS updates, so he points out dont buy a PCS build if you dont like the terms, and its on a forum board that is aimed at PCS builds so as a mod he has to say you gotta follow the terms, because like you say, people will associate them with PCS and they are Moderating for them. You're being hyper-sensitive.

Its simple, you need to update BIOS with PCS consent on a PCS build under warranty. As long as you contact them, and they give the instructions on what source to use, it will get updated. Its not like they sit there and will only allow updates they like. It will be ones that they know have been verified and arent off some pirate site or something.

You agree to this when you buy the build, and you're given all the T&C's before finalising payment.
Its not something you can go back and negiotiate on and if a PCS customer does it cos theyve seen it on the PCS boards its gonna make for a nasty surprise when PCS tell them its user damage and wont fix it.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 17413

PMSL @ Ignore list...seriously...you're accusing him of getting personal when all he has done is given facts about PCS, on a PCS forum board, as a forum moderator... and you have because almost hysterical, adding him to a block list like you're on twitter...

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Wow... He's a Mod, who is a volunteer and doesnt workfor PCS/get paid and he's just telling you that you cant do it without voiding the warranty on a PCS build.

You are they one who has repeatedly critised PCS handling of BIOS updates, so he points out dont buy a PCS build if you dont like the terms, and its on a forum board that is aimed at PCS builds so as a mod he has to say you gotta follow the terms, because like you say, people will associate them with PCS and they are Moderating for them. You're being hyper-sensitive.

Its simple, you need to update BIOS with PCS consent on a PCS build under warranty. As long as you contact them, and they give the instructions on what source to use, it will get updated. Its not like they sit there and will only allow updates they like. It will be ones that they know have been verified and arent off some pirate site or something.

You agree to this when you buy the build, and you're given all the T&C's before finalising payment.
Its not something you can go back and negiotiate on and if a PCS customer does it cos theyve seen it on the PCS boards its gonna make for a nasty surprise when PCS tell them its user damage and wont fix it.

Oh man. I am not being oversensitive. Go read back through the posts and you'll see he has a habit of snapping off passive-aggressive replies. Not just to me, either, though quite frequently. You'll also notice he tends not to discuss the argument but has a go at the person making it.

On the terms of the BIOS again - at no point have I said I wasn't aware of the T's and C's and I'm not sure why folks keep assuming this. It is, as I've also repeatedly said, one of the reasons I didn't replace my Defiance II with another PCS laptop. When I needed to turn on ALL VTx and VTd functions, there was no way to do it.

Others have found their disk controllers fixed into a mode.

I am simply pointing out flawed thinking - we've had "a laptop isn't a desktop and you shouldn't be allowed to change settings that could fry it" - when I was specifically referring to virtualisation extensions and that have absolutely no bearing on it.

We've had you could brick it - this is actually almost impossible to do given there is bootblock recovery built into the chip.

I have no issue with having to update the BIOS in association with PCS either - I am talking about the fact that a) they do not make them available* and b) they are crippled but there is nowhere that this is made clear to a potential buyer. I know it wasn't before I bought mine.

*Five years, almost, that I owned my Defiance. Not a single BIOS upgrade was announced, desipite there being many Clevo releases in that time - some of which were for security reasons.

And finally - I suggested making e.g. the control centre available for easier download but let's ignore that entirely.

GeorgeCA

Bronze Level Poster
Oh man. I am not being oversensitive. Go read back through the posts and you'll see he has a habit of snapping off passive-aggressive replies. Not just to me, either, though quite frequently. You'll also notice he tends not to discuss the argument but has a go at the person making it.

On the terms of the BIOS again - at no point have I said I wasn't aware of the T's and C's and I'm not sure why folks keep assuming this. It is, as I've also repeatedly said, one of the reasons I didn't replace my Defiance II with another PCS laptop. When I needed to turn on ALL VTx and VTd functions, there was no way to do it.

Others have found their disk controllers fixed into a mode.

I am simply pointing out flawed thinking - we've had "a laptop isn't a desktop and you shouldn't be allowed to change settings that could fry it" - when I was specifically referring to virtualisation extensions and that have absolutely no bearing on it.

We've had you could brick it - this is actually almost impossible to do given there is bootblock recovery built into the chip.

I have no issue with having to update the BIOS in association with PCS either - I am talking about the fact that a) they do not make them available* and b) they are crippled but there is nowhere that this is made clear to a potential buyer. I know it wasn't before I bought mine.

*Five years, almost, that I owned my Defiance. Not a single BIOS upgrade was announced, desipite there being many Clevo releases in that time - some of which were for security reasons.

And finally - I suggested making e.g. the control centre available for easier download but let's ignore that entirely.

I am sorry. but what do you mean with
"Others have found their disk controllers fixed into a mode."
and
"b) they are crippled but there is nowhere that this is made clear to a potential buyer. "

I am just trying to learn stuff :p ...

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Not a good idea to post your email address like that, in fact i think its against the forum rules, that's what pm's are for