Bizarre problem - Pink mic socket works for speakers and not mic

AsaSK

Hi all - I bought a custom-built gaming PC a few months ago, and I discovered recently (when I plugged in speakers for the first time), that they only work when plugged into the pink microphone socket. The green speaker socket does not work at all..

This means that I can't have speakers and mic at the same time, which is just impossible when trying to use a gaming headset.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks, Asa

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Have you tried plugging a mic into the green socket?

Speakers work very similar to microphones - just 'backwards'. What does it sound like when you have the speakers in? Is the sound crystal clear?

It could be a case that the I/O is wired up incorrectly to the motherboard. Could you post your motherboard make and model?

If you have a look here:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/254998/motherboard_port_guide_solving_your_connector_mystery.html

You will see that there are pins where you hook up the front panel. It could be they're plugged the wrong way around.

AsaSK

Hi Nathan, thanks for the quick reply.

Oddly, the pink port works for both my speakers and mic. The green port does not work at all.
The sound is crystal clear when the speakers are plugged in and also clear when the mic is there instead - the recorded sound from the mic is a little quiet but that may be coincidence.

My processor is an AMD FX-6300.

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Hi AsaSK,

The processor and the motherboard are different things. The processor is the little square chip under the main heatsink. The motherboard is the large circuit board that all your components are plugged into. If you log into your PCS account you will be able to check the specs for your PC order and find this information.

steaky360

Are your speakers/mic plugged into the front sockets or the rear sockets? There can be headphone/mic sockets on the front of a case too - the rear ones should be hardwired and therefore should work fine.

If you check the manual (you can download from MSI if you don't have it to hand) the front header for microphones/speakers is is JAUD1 see Page 22/172 & 33/172 for details and location.

If you've got front ports, there should be something plugged in here, make sure its correctly plugged in and not plugged the wrong way round etc. If you're unsure, open your case and take a photo so we can take a gander :)

Last edited: