Black Friday 2021 26th November- What are you after?

3qtrsamericano

Bright Spark
I buy a lot of tools for work mate, Bosch are solid because there warranties are decent and they stand over pretty much anything in the warranty period

If you really want to hit top of the line I can't recommend Milwaukee enough but they are expensive

1636710323473.gif

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Decided on a TV so will be on the lookout for this:

Sony BRAVIA XR65A80J.

Whose the AV guru around here? Is it @SpyderTracks?

You won't really go wrong in that price bracket with those brands. I prefer the LG personally. If I was going to spend so much I would probably opt for the A90 over the 80 too..... that's just what I'm like though.

LG OLED65G1 - My choice
Sony XR65A80J - Fine Choice
Sony XR65A90J -Why middle

If Black Friday gets you a deal then winner winner.

3qtrsamericano

Bright Spark
You won't really go wrong in that price bracket with those brands. I prefer the LG personally. If I was going to spend so much I would probably opt for the A90 over the 80 too..... that's just what I'm like though.

LG OLED65G1 - My choice
Sony XR65A80J - Fine Choice
Sony XR65A90J -Why middle

If Black Friday gets you a deal then winner winner.

Thanks @Scott. The reason I've chosen the A80J over the A90J is the price diff. AJ80 at 65" is around £1799. A90 is almost double that currently. And the LG sits in the middle at around £2199. So fingers x for Black Friday deals although I doubt I could justify the AJ90 even with a discounted price (unless it REALLY drops!).

In some of the comparisons I've read, not much of a difference between the G1 and the AJ80 although the G1 wins out on the gaming front (which I don't intend to do).

And I'm probably biased towards the Sony. I bought the Sony BRAVIA KD-65XH9505 earlier this year which I'm very happy with. And that's an LCD display.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Thanks @Scott. The reason I've chosen the A80J over the A90J is the price diff. AJ80 at 65" is around £1799. A90 is almost double that currently. And the LG sits in the middle at around £2199. So fingers x for Black Friday deals although I doubt I could justify the AJ90 even with a discounted price (unless it REALLY drops!).

In some of the comparisons I've read, not much of a difference between the G1 and the AJ80 although the G1 wins out on the gaming front (which I don't intend to do).

And I'm probably biased towards the Sony. I bought the Sony BRAVIA KD-65XH9505 earlier this year which I'm very happy with. And that's an LCD display.

Apologies, I must have read wrong on the A90J....... I had it in my head it was low £2kish haha. Yeah, not worth it at that price.

LG tend to make the panels for Sony and I think it's a sleeker looking unit, but you genuinely can't go wrong with either :D

Looking at it the LG doesn't come with legs, which is an interesting choice from them (I would be mounting anyway).

My current TV is a Samsung. Can't beat them bang for buck and their contrast really pops..... but it often feels un-natural to me so I'll be swaying towards something a bit better next time.

I'm keeping my eye on the vpl-vw290ES projector at the moment. It's available on Amazon for £1k less than retail but it's not Amazon selling so I'm wary.

CMP01

Enthusiast
The last few stud finders I had all malfunctioned, constantly going off when ever I held them.

Exactly the issue I had re reviews. Not just a mixed bag of brands and perceived quality thereof, but in actual performance and reliability too. It's almost like they're a gimmick that doesn't actually do the thing.

Still, better to at least try to be safe than sorry I guess.

CMP01

Enthusiast
Speaking of TV's I have had my eye on one and waiting for a price drop.
Rtings say it's not the greatest but solid for watching and maybe a bit of gaming in the bedroom. So if anybody knows if it's worth it...

Sony BRAVIA 4K KD-43X89J​

Any others in that price/performance/size range would do too, preferably 43 inch to fit where it's for.

I got a 55 inch Samsung Q80T last time round and that is a great living room TV with more gaming in mind. The lower sub 50 size of this line might've been good but had some of the crucial features cut though, which seems to be a thing with smaller screens as far as I've seen.

3qtrsamericano

Bright Spark
Rtings say it's not the greatest but solid for watching and maybe a bit of gaming in the bedroom. So if anybody knows if it's worth it...

Any others in that price/performance/size range would do too, preferably 43 inch to fit where it's for.

I got a 55 inch Samsung Q80T last time round and that is a great living room TV with more gaming in mind. The lower sub 50 size of this line might've been good but had some of the crucial features cut though, which seems to be a thing with smaller screens as far as I've seen.

Have a look at LG's LM6300 series. I'm considering the 32" as wife wants a TV in our bedroom.

DarTon

What about the LG 48" C1 OLED? It's £999 right now but it was £899 two days ago but sold out. Reckon it will be down to £899 again around Black Friday.

We replaced our old (2012) 42" LG with this in one of our lounges and it doesn't feel that much bigger. It's 120Hz and HDMI2.1, with amazing contrast.

It was between the LG OLED and a similar size Samsung mini-LED (Neo QLED). We went with the LG because is slightly smaller and we have a much bigger Samsung Neo QLED in the main lounge. I wanted to have both competing techs really: OLED with "infinite" contrast but somewhat poorer brightness and mini-LED with phenomenal brightness but less contrast given finite local dimming zones.

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
A very different kind of monitor to the ones mentioned recently in this thread, but I've just seen that the MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD has been reduced to £399 on Amazon, which is a 20% reduction over list price.

This is one of the top rated 1440p monitors according to Hardware Unboxed:

Maybe some would prefer to either spend less or get more screen with an ultrawide, but this looks like a great price for a really good monitor.

CMP01

Enthusiast
What about the LG 48" C1 OLED? It's £999 right now but it was £899 two days ago but sold out. Reckon it will be down to £899 again around Black Friday.

We replaced our old (2012) 42" LG with this in one of our lounges and it doesn't feel that much bigger. It's 120Hz and HDMI2.1, with amazing contrast.

It was between the LG OLED and a similar size Samsung mini-LED (Neo QLED). We went with the LG because is slightly smaller and we have a much bigger Samsung Neo QLED in the main lounge. I wanted to have both competing techs really: OLED with "infinite" contrast but somewhat poorer brightness and mini-LED with phenomenal brightness but less contrast given finite local dimming zones.

Duly noted, thanks. I've been around online, rtings reviews aso, and watchlisted a few, mainly Samsungs (as our Q80T is fab) and Sonys (as my old Bravia, still good for watching TV/spare room etc, was solid despite being FHD) within the 43-50 inch range we'd need for that spot on the wall/chimney breast without overlapping it much.
Tbh and maybe I'm a little behind but OLED's concern me bit re burn in (and I am prone to needing to pause stuff and leave a while) as much as higher cost... say, over a grand for any but the larger screens and better features (though the Q80T was a tad over that figure)
I'm now waiting to see if any discounts in the next couple of weeks.

CMP01

Enthusiast
A very different kind of monitor to the ones mentioned recently in this thread, but I've just seen that the MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD has been reduced to £399 on Amazon, which is a 20% reduction over list price.

This is one of the top rated 1440p monitors according to Hardware Unboxed:

Maybe some would prefer to either spend less or get more screen with an ultrawide, but this looks like a great price for a really good monitor.

Another one for me to check out, ta.
I might have mentioned being short a few quid what with new house and improvements but...
I did promise my wonderful better half her own super PC a while back and it's always on my mind there...

I'm thinking, for her uses (art, emu, retro and a bit of modern gaming with me) something like a 5600X, 16Gb RAM etc but not sure for 1440p and reasonable AAA fps to last a bit... 3060ti perhaps?
I have the idea that 4K might be more precise for her artwork, similar idea re touchscreen but that's gonna cost nm that a lower tier GPU might do art ok at 4K but she'll be turning things down for gaming.
It'll also need to be mainly white/silver with RGB cranked to... pink?
Fair enough but I do want her to have nice things, she's so worth it.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
You'll get 4k out of the 3060Ti, just don't expect AAA 60+ FPS. I had no issues running my 2080 at 4k (mild OC on there) with the settings at reasonable levels. On a 60hz TV it did it justice, in all honesty.

Will it be perfect... no... probably not even ideal, but it'll definitely do a job for the well rounded system that you're looking at. can always knock the res down to 1080p for getting the FPS up high, but I think the visuals will likely be spoiled in contrast.

I wouldn't hesitate though personally.