Black Friday 2021 26th November- What are you after?

Bhuna50

Author Level
I’ve just had all new tyres put on the car
Ouch. Luckily I only ever have to pay for fuel (electricity) now for my car - anything else is covered under the lease so no additional burden of tyre costs for me :D

Annoying thing is Im not around tomorrow so wont get any on the day deals myself as at a wedding :(

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Well this is the first time seeing this with my own eyes but I guess it happens. Been eying up a Samsung 980 1TB and it's been sitting at £71.99 down from £105 all week. Thought I'd wait until Friday just to see what happens

Today it's gone up to £105.50 down from £122.99 apparently... no doubt it'll probably go on "Sale" tomorrow for £80+ and say down from £122.99

Clear as day I've seen this happen right in front of my eyes, it's honestly made me a little salty. We'll see what it drops too tomorrow but I don't I'll buy anything now. I always knew it was an elaborate "sale" where nothing really drops all that much and is basically marketing but this is the first time I've seen it so clearly

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Well this is the first time seeing this with my own eyes but I guess it happens. Been eying up a Samsung 980 1TB and it's been sitting at £71.99 down from £105 all week. Thought I'd wait until Friday just to see what happens

Today it's gone up to £105.50 down from £122.99 apparently... no doubt it'll probably go on "Sale" tomorrow for £80+ and say down from £122.99

Clear as day I've seen this happen right in front of my eyes, it's honestly made me a little salty. We'll see what it drops too tomorrow but I don't I'll buy anything now. I always knew it was an elaborate "sale" where nothing really drops all that much and is basically marketing but this is the first time I've seen it so clearly

Argos do that ever year, witnessed with my own eyes. They actually inflate the prices a little just before a sale in order to quote the down from price.

They will always list the date that the "down from" is referencing though.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Did it. £100. Been sat on the fence for long enough, I knew I definitely wanted it and it’s going to last for years.

ECA5AF41-4FFA-4DD6-A444-AC2018C8DCA0.jpeg

CMP01

Enthusiast
Did it. £100. Been sat on the fence for long enough, I knew I definitely wanted it and it’s going to last for years.

View attachment 30829

Been meaning to ask actually, honest curiosity, and pardon me for being maybe slow but... what's the deal with these watches?

I mean, I can see that they're modernised versions of the 80's Casio's (says Bluetooth on it) which were cool (I had one at some point) but is mainly the nostalgia thing or do they have hidden modern functions?

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Been meaning to ask actually, honest curiosity, and pardon me for being maybe slow but... what's the deal with these watches?

I mean, I can see that they're modernised versions of the 80's Casio's (says Bluetooth on it) which were cool (I had one at some point) but is mainly the nostalgia thing or do they have hidden modern functions?
It’s mainly nostalgia, I’ve wanted one of these for around 25 years, the shape and design is iconic.

But they do have new features these days. The negative LCD display is a big draw, it looks very swish. Solar powered so no need to change battery and compromise the water resistance. They receive a daily signal from a transmission station which will set the exact time, down to the second. I need to read up more about the Bluetooth side of things but it does seem to allow a few funky functions. You can pair it to an app on your phone, set all your alarms and add reminders. Which seems easier than the constant pressing of buttons on watch itself. If you can’t find your phone, hold down a button on the watch and it’ll make your phone play a loud signal to assist in its location.

And lastly… the function I’ve been waiting for… you can change the date format to display UK style (day/month) rather than US (month/day). That one has been bugging me for years.

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
Nostalgia made me make a Black Friday purchase - my video gaming backlog obviously just wasn't long enough, so I've bought myself a Nintendo Switch. The hardware is pretty old these days, but what Nintendo have managed to do with it is pretty impressive.

The number of remakes they're doing of original Game Boy titles (particularly Link's Awakening - one of my all-time favourite games) is what swung it for me. I'm also incredibly curious to see if Breath of the Wild is as good as the hype says it is - will be looking to buy that at some point, and BOTW 2 once it releases!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Nostalgia made me make a Black Friday purchase - my video gaming backlog obviously just wasn't long enough, so I've bought myself a Nintendo Switch. The hardware is pretty old these days, but what Nintendo have managed to do with it is pretty impressive.

The number of remakes they're doing of original Game Boy titles (particularly Link's Awakening - one of my all-time favourite games) is what swung it for me. I'm also incredibly curious to see if Breath of the Wild is as good as the hype says it is - will be looking to buy that at some point, and BOTW 2 once it releases!
Did you get the OLED version or original?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I was really impressed when I saw the OLED refresh, not so much when I saw the price hike!

In other news, I setup my new XT8 Mesh setup over the weekend and it's just blistering. Highly recommended to anyone who struggles with old fashioned brick houses. It maxes out my 300mb line everywhere in the house (370mb+ at last check). I'm quoted GB speed in the devices that allow and every bit of slowdown with my ridiculous Smart tech has vanished.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I was really impressed when I saw the OLED refresh, not so much when I saw the price hike!

In other news, I setup my new XT8 Mesh setup over the weekend and it's just blistering. Highly recommended to anyone who struggles with old fashioned brick houses. It maxes out my 300mb line everywhere in the house (370mb+ at last check). I'm quoted GB speed in the devices that allow and every bit of slowdown with my ridiculous Smart tech has vanished.
You bought it, that's so great!

What's the companion app like? Was it easy to configure?

CMP01

Enthusiast
It’s mainly nostalgia, I’ve wanted one of these for around 25 years, the shape and design is iconic.

But they do have new features these days. The negative LCD display is a big draw, it looks very swish. Solar powered so no need to change battery and compromise the water resistance. They receive a daily signal from a transmission station which will set the exact time, down to the second. I need to read up more about the Bluetooth side of things but it does seem to allow a few funky functions. You can pair it to an app on your phone, set all your alarms and add reminders. Which seems easier than the constant pressing of buttons on watch itself. If you can’t find your phone, hold down a button on the watch and it’ll make your phone play a loud signal to assist in its location.

And lastly… the function I’ve been waiting for… you can change the date format to display UK style (day/month) rather than US (month/day). That one has been bugging me for years.

Figured it'd be something along those lines and fwiw... if I was ever interested in a watch it would honestly likely be one of these. They do have a certain something don't they... probably even for those who weren't 80's kids.

As for the date thing, it should run smaller to larger (day/month/year) like about everything else does. While I've had to grow used to the Americans contrary ways (especially spellings ugh) this month/day way is just so wrong and still throws me.

CMP01

Enthusiast

Fwiw the Switch is very punchy tech despite it's age and limitations. But then this is Nintendo's niche and they've been doing this well a long time. The DS is actually my fave handheld ever (and we'll see how the Steam Deck does, even against the DS it'll have to do a lot to impress) but tbh I haven't used my Switch much due to having a capable PC with at least some of the same games from before they released on Switch. Nintendo game prices, especially on the storefront and their first party games are awful (Breath Of The Wild afaik hasn't budged in price for years, not even in sales) It has made a very fun coop platform for playing with my gf though.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
You bought it, that's so great!

What's the companion app like? Was it easy to configure?

Absolute doddle to configure, I've barely touched a setting and it works a treat. Companion app gives you everything you need to get it up and running and have access to the settings most people would consider useful.

Setup took probably 15 minutes to connect all 3. Most of that was just letting it do its thing. My input involved separating the channels (as I don't like them combined) and changing the gateway IP to what I have some devices already set to. Other than that, let it do its thing.

One thing to note, that I've not looked into, all the reviews said that the 4x4 wide 5G-2 band is for the dedicated backhaul and can't connect to it. I can connect to it just fine. Not sure if that's an update or something that needs to be switched on/off, but it was nice to see I have access to all 3. 2.4 for automation and limited devices, 5g for the main usage and 5g-2 just for me :D

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Absolute doddle to configure, I've barely touched a setting and it works a treat. Companion app gives you everything you need to get it up and running and have access to the settings most people would consider useful.

Setup took probably 15 minutes to connect all 3. Most of that was just letting it do its thing. My input involved separating the channels (as I don't like them combined) and changing the gateway IP to what I have some devices already set to. Other than that, let it do its thing.

One thing to note, that I've not looked into, all the reviews said that the 4x4 wide 5G-2 band is for the dedicated backhaul and can't connect to it. I can connect to it just fine. Not sure if that's an update or something that needs to be switched on/off, but it was nice to see I have access to all 3. 2.4 for automation and limited devices, 5g for the main usage and 5g-2 just for me :D
Awesome, this is one of the absolute bonuses of Mesh aside from performance it's the next level web config and management, it really does make it just so much easier to configure quite a complex setup.