Black Screen on start up - only fans are running

skein

Hello

I bought a laptop a few years back from this website.

It recently started to have the following issue:
When you turn it on nothing turns on except the fans. They run normally for about 30 seconds and then go crazy fast like the laptop is trying to use them to fly away. Sometimes however it does start.

It did overheat sometimes and experienced severe slowdowns.

I have cleaned it and removed a big lump of dust from the fans and replaced the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU.
After I did that it seemed to run fine and I was quite happy with that, but the next day the issues happened again.

Is there any guidance on how to handle this?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hello

I bought a laptop a few years back from this website.

It recently started to have the following issue:
When you turn it on nothing turns on except the fans. They run normally for about 30 seconds and then go crazy fast like the laptop is trying to use them to fly away. Sometimes however it does start.

It did overheat sometimes and experienced severe slowdowns.

I have cleaned it and removed a big lump of dust from the fans and replaced the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU.
After I did that it seemed to run fine and I was quite happy with that, but the next day the issues happened again.

Is there any guidance on how to handle this?
How old is it? Is it still in warranty?

It sounds like it may be heat damaged, if there was that much dust buildup then that would make sense.

You could install HWMonitor and check thermals when idle and under load:

Any performance laptop requires maintenance every year or so and a repaste about the same to keep it from overheating. They're not the same as off the shelf laptops.

skein

It's almost 4 years old now

If it is heat damage is it possible to do something about it?

How old is it? Is it still in warranty?

It sounds like it may be heat damaged, if there was that much dust buildup then that would make sense.

You could install HWMonitor and check thermals when idle and under load:

Any performance laptop requires maintenance every year or so and a repaste about the same to keep it from overheating. They're not the same as off the shelf laptops.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
As above, we need to see what your temperares are like both at idle and under load. .

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The problem is it doesn't always turn on to even install.
It just has black screen and nothing except fans.
Ah, in that case it sounds like the GPU/motherboard is cooked.

You could try a fresh windows install, see if that will install.

skein

As above, we need to see what your temperares are like both at idle and under load. .

I completely understand, but I can't even get it to boot up now. I would gladly send it for repairs, but I don't know what would be the quote for such work.

skein

Your post above specifically said that it does start sometimes.

Yes. But now it seems to happen 1 in 100 times.
No I am not able to get to the BIOS

Btw I don't know if it may play a role but the screen was a bit damaged a while a back. Not sure if it can affect on the boot up process of a laptop.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yes. But now it seems to happen 1 in 100 times.
No I am not able to get to the BIOS

Btw I don't know if it may play a role but the screen was a bit damaged a while a back. Not sure if it can affect on the boot up process of a laptop.
I’d log it with PCS then, it could be a multitude of hardware issues but sounds like the motherboard and possibly the GPU are gone.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
If it's that would that mean the laptop is beyond recovery?
Yes, would mean an entire rebuild, new motherboard and GPU alone would be around £1500, you could buy a much more powerful machine for under that.

Custom laptops have to be maintained otherwise this will happen and it will overheat and burn out the components. If you’ve only just cleared out dust collected over 4 years then it’s likely been overheating constantly for 3 years which would make sense why it’s burnt out.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I would remove the RAM and re-seat it one at a time.

This could be heat damage but it could also be a dodgy RAM stick.

skein

I was thinking of this as well, but having a bit of trouble removing the keyboard to get to the stick

skein

Just managed to swap the memory modules and it booted up sever times in a row.
I will install the heating monitor to see how it's coping, but hopefully that did the trick. (But I also thiught that last time)
Thanks.