Black screen on videos (youtube), audio works

FerrariVie

Super Star
I just wanted to share my experience with this issue that I had recently with my laptop, in case someone has something similar in the future.

One day after updating my Nvidia drivers to 456.55, I started having random issues with sites that stream video using web browsers, so youtube, dailymotion, facebook, just to name a few examples. The audio still plays, but no video is displayed. Using other browsers didn't help, so I realised that it probably had something to do with the Nvidia drivers. The weird thing is that it's kind of random, sometimes they work after I start my PC from scratch, but once the black screen shows up, not even a reboot helps. Only turning off and on would sometimes make youtube work again.

Then I started checking on Nvidia's forum and saw some people with the same issue. It's usually users of laptops that have 144Hz screens with an RTX20 GPU (mostly 2070, for some reason). Then some were suggesting to update the driver to a hotfix version (456.71) that supposedly would solve this issue. While installing the new driver did solve the issue temporarily, it came back after a while. So I checked Nvidia's forum again and some user found a workaround, where if you lower your screen's refresh rate (70Hz in my case) and then change it back to 144hz would solve the issue on the current session.

And that's the point where I'm now. I've done the workaround and it does work, youtube is fine on this session, but I've not rebooted after that. So in case it stops working again after a reboot, I'll try downgrading the drivers to 456.38. I will keep you updated ;)

FerrariVie

Super Star
So the workaround also only works on the current session. When rebooting, I was getting black screens again.

I tried downgrading to 456.38 and the issue was still happening, so went one step back and I'm now using driver 452.06. With this version, even after a few reboots, all good. So I'll stay with that one for a while and I recommend you do the same, in case you face issues ;)

Last edited: