Black screen

YungMilky

Couple of weeks ago my laptop had a black screen of death caused by water damage, and I solved it by just removing the sdd and battery and leaving it for the night. A week later it happened again, with no new water damage, and nothing seems to help. I've tried removing/relocating RAM, discharging static (multiple times), replacing the CMOS battery, leaving the CMOS battery out for 20 minutes to reset, leaving all parts out for days and trying an external monitor. I recently noticed if I power on without a CMOS battery it won't shut down, where as if it's in, it will shut down after maybe 10 seconds. Either way the fans max out after said time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is a major inconvenience for me, and I'm not sure I can afford another laptop with this performance I need for my work. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190810-214950__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20190810-214950__01.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 227

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
If it’s water damage it likely damaged the motherboard and perhaps caused a surge and blowout somewhere.

You’d need to contact PCS directly to get it RMA’d.

YungMilky

If it’s water damage it likely damaged the motherboard and perhaps caused a surge and blowout somewhere.

You’d need to contact PCS directly to get it RMA’d.
I guess I'll call them ASAP then, but I think my warranty of three years is up, how do you think they'll handle this?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I guess I'll call them ASAP then, but I think my warranty of three years is up, how do you think they'll handle this?
They'd be able to tell you that, I guess they'd quote a cost to investigate and then offer a price to fix.

We've recently had someone outside of warranty be quoted for a motherboard replacement on an older laptop (can't remember which model) and it was significantly less than I would have expected, in such a way that I was a bit taken aback.

It's definitely worth calling them in the first instance.

YungMilky

They'd be able to tell you that, I guess they'd quote a cost to investigate and then offer a price to fix.

We've recently had someone outside of warranty be quoted for a motherboard replacement on an older laptop (can't remember which model) and it was significantly less than I would have expected, in such a way that I was a bit taken aback.

It's definitely worth calling them in the first instance.
Cool man, I'll be sure to call, thanks a lot for the help.

de4life

Bronze Level Poster
Water damage can unfortanately continue long after initial contamination, even if the affected components are professionally cleaned.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Water damage can unfortanately continue long after initial contamination, even if the affected components are professionally cleaned.
That’s exactly what I thought. It’s not just the water itself, but even if fully dried out, there are contaminants and deposits left which can cause shorts, plus corrosion which can occur later on.

de4life

Bronze Level Poster
Yes, exactly. You can never really trust a device after it's been water damaged. If you're lucky it'll continue to work as normal until you stop using it, but often it'll suddenly start malfunctioning or just totally die days, weeks, or even months later. The most you can do is clean the damaged components in 90%+ isopropyl alcohol, as that will at least stop the corrosion spreading. It's difficult with laptops though as you would usually have to disassemble and clean all electronic components, as water can get everywhere.

YungMilky

Thanks for all your replies, guys. I ended up getting a price estimate at ~£520 from their customer support so I think I'm just gonna go with buying a new laptop... water damage is serious bidness :whistle:

Imogen

Thanks for all your replies, guys. I ended up getting a price estimate at ~£520 from their customer support so I think I'm just gonna go with buying a new laptop... water damage is serious bidness :whistle:
Be sure to tell the specs if it’s from PCS again! We’d love to hear! 😁