Blocky Artifacts on YouTube?

System_Error

Bronze Level Poster
Hi All,

Was hoping if anyone can help with an issue I've been having.

Just got my laptop back today after an RMA and they have replaced the GPU.

The reason why it was sent was because of these weird pixelated artifact type blocks on YouTube video in the darker areas of the playback.

The issue is still there, has anyone come across this before, is it just crappy youtube video compression??

steaky360

Is it specific to YouTube? if so then yes its probably something to do with YouTube. Check it against a known higher quality YouTube video (something that plays @1080p for example) see if the same artefacts appear.

System_Error

Bronze Level Poster
Unfortunately yes I've tried that... same problem.. always in the darker area of the playback. I have now tried on DVD and most of the playback quality is fine... but there are much less, but there are small pixelated blocks on the darker areas... I thought it was my CPU but PCs said they tested everything and it was only the GPU that was faulty, which they replaced... kinda hoping it is just crappy YouTube video compression :/

steaky360

Seems unlikely to me that it would be the CPU - unless you're using integrated graphics (which you won't be I don't think) the GPU will do all of the graphical stuff.

Might be a daft question, but can you screenshot it?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
ththh.png

Are you talking about stuff like this? If so, then it is YouTube's awful compression and there is no way around it as it happens on all resolutions with dark video.

System_Error

Bronze Level Poster
Lol YES but much worse.. I was trying to upload a image from one of pewdiepies videos theres just blocks everywhere... I have had to decrease the brightness to hide them

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Yeh that's far from the worst I've experienced. It is the compression from YouTube and there is nothing you can do, changing some image settings for your display (brightness, saturation etc) can reduce this effect but can't remove it completely

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
The game looks about right for youtube, but the text on the bottom bar etc looks way too small, but this may be because you have scaled down the image?

System_Error

Bronze Level Poster
The game looks about right for youtube, but the text on the bottom bar etc looks way too small, but this may be because you have scaled down the image?

Yeah.. been a long time since I used paint :/ that picture makes it looks worse than it is because its been scaled down...its just the blocky compression in the dark area is whats the problem..

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Yep, that has nothing to do with your computer. Its all YouTube, the video files are compressed greatly to reduce bandwidth, although you would think they would upgrade as higher bandwidth broadband becomes more widely available.

System_Error

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks man.. panic over :) thought it might be that! I know YouTube drop all videos to a crappy 25-30 FPS also.

Thanks fella .. +1 Rep