Blood moon photos anyone?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
These were taken with a Canon Powershot G7X MkII at 1275m up in the wild mountains of Crete. My friend has a mountain hose up there. Zero light pollution....

I'm sure the real enthusiasts on here have better quality images but I was quite pleased with these....

Attachments

• Blood Moon Mars Milky Way [small].jpg
    Blood Moon Mars Milky Way [small].jpg
    459.2 KB · Views: 607
  • Total eclipse begins [small].jpg
    Total eclipse begins [small].jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 587
  • Blood Moon close [small].jpg
    Blood Moon close [small].jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 617
  • Blood Moon far [small].jpg
    Blood Moon far [small].jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 598
  • Blood Moon Mars Milky Way and House [small].jpg
    Blood Moon Mars Milky Way and House [small].jpg
    494.7 KB · Views: 594

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
These were taken with a Canon Powershot G7X MkII at 1275m up in the wild mountains of Crete. My friend has a mountain hose up there. Zero light pollution....

I'm sure the real enthusiasts on here have better quality images but I was quite pleased with these....

Those are seriously impressive!!! Beautiful!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It was typical, after 2 months solid clear skies, we had a storm last night and couldn't see a thing here, I was gutted! It's nice to see some people got a good view.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
These are nice photos!

I find the forum seems to compress images to disastrous levels - I've found it turn some screenshots I posted once into potato. Would be interested to see them in all their glory if you felt like imguring or similar?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
These are nice photos!

I find the forum seems to compress images to disastrous levels - I've found it turn some screenshots I posted once into potato. Would be interested to see them in all their glory if you felt like imguring or similar?

+1 to imgur or similar, would love to feel full pixels.

im amature at best with my photos ( wildlife in australia when i visit ) but that milky way picture is stunning i bet standing there was even better !!!

Cobblers

Enthusiast

Light pollution.... one of the easily disregarded issues. I'd like to look up to the heavens and see more star light of an evening.. all that energy saving would be good for the environment too.

Stephen M

Author Level
Light pollution.... one of the easily disregarded issues. I'd like to look up to the heavens and see more star light of an evening.. all that energy saving would be good for the environment too.
Years ago we had a fairly objectionable local councilor, luckily he only lasted one term. When campaigning to try to get a second term he turned up on my doorstep bragging about the new street lamp outside my house, saying he was instrumental in getting it there.

My reply was that thanks to him I now had to draw my bedroom curtains at night as could not sleep with the light shining directly into the room. It is great to see a politician totally unable to think of a response.

Cobblers

Enthusiast
And why have it? The streets don't need to be illuminated at night like it is during the day.

I feel more people would have a different outlook on life if they could see the night sky in all it's splendor... would give everyone a better perspective on their place in universe as we fly through it on this rock we call Earth! Seeing the Milky Way at night, every night, would be honestly amazing.

But I'm not greedy, lights don't need to be turned off every night... but one or two nights a year when we have a clear nights sky would be a site to behold.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
As most of you know, I spent 12 years living on a sailing yacht in the Eastern Med. I've seen some fabulous skies on night passages away from land, it's strange at first to see stars just as bright down at the horizon as they are directly overhead. I've seen the Milky Way many times at sea, but that night almost 1300m up in the mountains of Crete was quite spectacular. I can only imagine that the thinner air at that altitude, the lack of pollution in the air at that altitude - and so far from any towns, and the stability of the air at that altitude and time of year (it was late July) of high summer, was what made the difference.

Cobblers

Enthusiast
Well living in West Midlands of the UK you are slap bang in the middle of the light pollution zone for sure.

I was born in New Zealand, but have England parents who moved me back to the UK once I was 2 years old... real shame as they have some superb night skies.

Cruises - I've been very fortunate to have gone on a few, but when I was younger I never really appreciated the awesomeness of what was above me.

Our ancient ancestors must have looked forward to the night/evening as much as any part of the day...

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
years ago when my girls were very young we went camping up at wasdale head in the lake district for new year, the girls complained about how long the trip was, however when we got there and got out the car I told them to look up as the sky was just a mass of stars.

Wasdale is also the only placeI know that at the right time of year you get a double sunrise