Bluetooth under linux

rickorton

I am shocked, after using linux for years and handling devices like printers and other stuff like a charm, with the state of the bluetooth under linux. I just bought a standard usb dongle (my old pc has no internal bluetooth device), and the system is 100% unable of finding any of my devices (phone, headphones, etc). Am I missing something?

Stephen M

Author Level
Which Linux distro are you using, although it should not matter that much. I rarely use bluetooth but have not had problems with it with Ubuntu. Just did a quick check and it recognised my phone immediately it was turned on. By default bluetooth is turned off on most distros but in Ubuntu it is easy to turn on vie the Settings menu.

zapdos

The BlueZ stack is, how shall I say, "interesting". I rarely have need for it fortunately.

It sounds odd, but usually these days to "guarantee" hardware compatibility with dongles for Linux, I usually buy such accessories from a Raspberry Pi retailer (not linking here). You can be fairly sure if they work with raspbian/debian ARM, they'll work with just about anything.