books on technology?

DanteWilhelm

Bright Spark
Hello,

I'm about to purchase many books on evolution, quantum physics, the creation of the universe, origin of species etc

So I thought, if technology and computers are best learned through written word, that I should also purchase some books pertaining to technology, computers, modern technology, technological advancements, computers through the ages etc

So are there any recommendable books like that available?

And, for extra topic value, feel free to suggest books to me.

I'm interested in science, how things works, how things came to be, ancient civilizations, nature, etc. I'm an open book! Sorry, I had to.

NMEBowen

Master Poster
personally the only text on modern tech id read is on the internet as it moves so fast something written will be old by the time its published.

DanteWilhelm

Bright Spark
personally the only text on modern tech id read is on the internet as it moves so fast something written will be old by the time its published.

that's true, but i'd like things more to do with science, facts which will remain the same, in a modern book if possible. About how things work not about the latest things available, just how rudimentary appliances are constructed etc.

Not 100% sure really, as I said I am an open book, so once something is suggested to me I'll move on from there.

or I could just abandon hope now and buy ''My Ipad2'' from amazon =D LOL!

DanteWilhelm

Bright Spark
Anything by Stephen Hawking? Mebs?

Why Does E=mc2?: (and Why Should We Care?) - Brian Cox

The Magic of Reality: How we know what's really true - Richard Dawkins; Hardcover

Quantum Theory Cannot Hurt You: A Guide to the Universe - Marcus Chown; Paperback

The Grand Design - Stephen Hawking;

The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution - Richard Dawkins; Paperback

Those are the books which I have in my basket right now :)

i've come across many more, some others were in there, so none have been missed out. Rather, they have been replaced.

DanteWilhelm

Bright Spark
I've found another book with a rather extreme title!

God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything - Christopher Hitchens; Paperback

it's from a guy who isn't a scientist, so you can read this book to provide perspective and contrast to a book by a scientist say for example the god delusion by richard dawkings