Bookshop

D

Deleted member 41971

Was interested and pleased to see this site start up and also the success it has had so far.

It is good to see local/small bookshops getting some support at this time.

I always shop at local bookshops, one because you always find a gem when you visit them, also what scares me with the likes of amazon is if you centralize one place where you can buy everything, then that place has so much power in listing what it likes and does not like.

Stephen M

Author Level
I always shop at local bookshops, one because you always find a gem when you visit them, also what scares me with the likes of amazon is if you centralize one place where you can buy everything, then that place has so much power in listing what it likes and does not like.
I also like the fact there are people to chat with in bookshops and often even someone who knows a bit about even the most obscure writer/book.

Whereas Amazon has a review system which too often is made up of five star reviews written by wife, brother, best friend, publisher etc or one stars written by ex-wife, jealous step-brother, rival publisher etc.

On gems, have you read the Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien, think it is a love or hate book but if you like very different stuff it is excellent. Nothing like Pratchett or Adams but if you like them think this would appeal.

D

Deleted member 41971

I also like the fact there are people to chat with in bookshops and often even someone who knows a bit about even the most obscure writer/book.

Whereas Amazon has a review system which too often is made up of five star reviews written by wife, brother, best friend, publisher etc or one stars written by ex-wife, jealous step-brother, rival publisher etc.

On gems, have you read the Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien, think it is a love or hate book but if you like very different stuff it is excellent. Nothing like Pratchett or Adams but if you like them think this would appeal.
i have chatted to quite a few people over the yrs in bookshops, you also get great recommendations from either the owners or the staff that work there, one of the first things I do when visiting a place in pop into any local bookshops to see whats available, I have even found one or two first editions. amazon reviews I don't even read anymore, too many weird feedback that is no where near relevant. also, no I have heard of the third policeman but not read it, need to make more time as lately I have been gaming too much :rolleyes: thanks for the recommendation (y)