Booting error

So everytime recently when the booting process starts up it says something like "EFI PXE 0 for ipv4" with the ok option. And again the same thing with the same message just ipv6. I was looking up online on some tutorials how to fix it but it doesn't seem to be the case here since these were made for some lenovos and I have no idea how to do it for the PCS laptop since the bios looks completly different with different options. Any idea what I can do?

P.S. The laptop is still completly functional, it starts normally the booting process after the 2 errors "resolve".

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
This happens when the normal boot device (SSD or HDD) isn't found during the boot process.

This is often indicative of a drive that's close to failing. I would very much advise backing everything up then open a command prompt and run the command 'chkdsk /f /x' if it's an SSD and a 'chkdsk /r /x' if it's an HDD. If any errors are reported that could not be fixed you should think about replacing the drive.

Sent using Tapatalk

How could it possibly be failing when the laptop / drive is brand new and it just recently started doing that. The laptop hasn't been dropped / hit or anything along these lines?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It is possible that it's simply a boot file problem rather than a disk problem. It's much easier to tun chkdsk on the drive first.

Can you post your full spec from the order page please, so we know what were dealing with?

Sent using Tapatalk

1577364712949.png

EDIT: Tried the cmd comand you told me about. Nothing has changed. It was "repairing" some files and still same thing goes on. I was thinking is a bios problem, no?

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
EDIT: Tried the cmd comand you told me about. Nothing has changed. It was "repairing" some files and still same thing goes on. I was thinking is a bios problem, no?
Since you have an SSD I assume you ran the chkdsk /f /x command? That checks the filesystem for errors and if it's trying to repair files and failing then there is certainly a problem there. It may simply be a Windows filesystem glitch but I rather think it may be an SSD problem.

Since chkdsk seems not to be able to help, boot the Windows installation media, select Repair My Computer and in there choose Startup Repair.

If that doesn't help your best option will be a clean reinstall of Windows from bootable media (not the Windows Reset feature). Once Windows is installed run Windows Update repeatedly until no more updates are found, that will install all necessary drivers.

Either way, whether Startup Repair works or you reinstall Windows, download the Adata SSD diagnostic tool (the SSD Toolbox) from https://www.adata.com/us/ss/software-6/# once you have a running system. Run the full diagnostic tests in there, if it finds any problems with your SSD you'll need to contact PCS about replacing it

Since you have an SSD I assume you ran the chkdsk /f /x command? That checks the filesystem for errors and if it's trying to repair files and failing then there is certainly a problem there. It may simply be a Windows filesystem glitch but I rather think it may be an SSD problem.

Since chkdsk seems not to be able to help, boot the Windows installation media, select Repair My Computer and in there choose Startup Repair.

If that doesn't help your best option will be a clean reinstall of Windows from bootable media (not the Windows Reset feature). Once Windows is installed run Windows Update repeatedly until no more updates are found, that will install all necessary drivers.

Either way, whether Startup Repair works or you reinstall Windows, download the Adata SSD diagnostic tool (the SSD Toolbox) from https://www.adata.com/us/ss/software-6/# once you have a running system. Run the full diagnostic tests in there, if it finds any problems with your SSD you'll need to contact PCS about replacing it

How are you meant to do the startup repair? Sorry if it might sound a bit stupid I am a bit clueless.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
How are you meant to do the startup repair? Sorry if it might sound a bit stupid I am a bit clueless.
Boot the Windows install media (probably a DVD supplied by PCS in your Welcome Pack box).
When you see the dark blue screen with a big 'Install' button in the middle look to the bottom left and click on 'Repair my computer'.
One of the options you'll then see is 'Startup repair', click on that and follow the instructions.

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
With the new Clevo BIOSes they will hang on PXE booting until you press enter, as you have stated the system is working fine once in Windows, it just looks like a boot priority issue.

You would just need to go into the bios by tapping F2 or DEL and either disable network stack booting or just set windows as the primary boot option in the boot tab.

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
As it happens I found a similar laptop in my dept so here are a few visual aids.

Tap F2 and it will come up with the below screen. Select Setup Utility (black box) (sorry should have moved the selector before taking the image)
O7b44h8.jpg

This will take you to the BIOS screen, go to Boot tab (black box) then select UEFI Setting
3T4fHPx.jpg

Select Network Stack, set to disabled.
Evnyolu.jpg

F10, save and exit

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
With the new Clevo BIOSes they will hang on PXE booting until you press enter, as you have stated the system is working fine once in Windows, it just looks like a boot priority issue.
Do you mean the new Clevo BIOSes try a network boot first unless it's been disabled? That's nuts. If the Network Boot option is after the Windows Boot Manger in the boot order then the network boot should never be reached - unless there is an issue with the Windows Boot Manager...?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Do you mean the new Clevo BIOSes try a network boot first unless it's been disabled? That's nuts. If the Network Boot option is after the Windows Boot Manger in the boot order then the network boot should never be reached - unless there is an issue with the Windows Boot Manager...?
It’s pretty standard now, dells do the same.

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member

I am not sure if it defaults to Network stack first if enabled (I will check when I have time) but I know it will do the pattern the O.P has described if network stack is the first boot device. With the insyde bioses it will not count down an attempt and then auto go onto the next boot option.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I am not sure if it defaults to Network stack first if enabled (I will check when I have time) but I know it will do the pattern the O.P has described if network stack is the first boot device. With the insyde bioses it will not count down an attempt and then auto go onto the next boot option.
Do these new BIOSes not have a modifiable boot priority order? If the do (and they surely must) do PCS not set it up with Windows Boot Manager first?

If Network Boot is the first option that's what it will try first, but home users using a network boot are as rare as hen's teeth!

As it happens I found a similar laptop in my dept so here are a few visual aids.

Tap F2 and it will come up with the below screen. Select Setup Utility (black box) (sorry should have moved the selector before taking the image)
O7b44h8.jpg

This will take you to the BIOS screen, go to Boot tab (black box) then select UEFI Setting
3T4fHPx.jpg

Select Network Stack, set to disabled.
Evnyolu.jpg

F10, save and exit
Thank you very much it sorted out my problem.